Reflection on Movie "The Giver"- Pain & Suffering

1,429 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by schmendeler
booboo91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Watched the movie "The Giver"- 2014 movie with Jeff Bridges, it was on Netflix, it was ok movie to watch (decent,not great).

Spoiler Alert- the plot of this futuristic movie, is in this society there is no violence/wars, no hate, no racism, no envy, everyone is equal and satisfied. They succeed in doing this by removing all emotion from society- there is no love (affection, kissing), music, art,no pain at all, folks are taking drugs to make them calm, they quietly kill off the old/young/sick- abortion. During this phase in the movie everything is shown in black and white. Everything is somewhat boring.

More Spoiler- A guy comes along and he brings back all emotion into their society. They received love, music, joy along with violence, pain, death and war. The world is back in full color again. We have both the good and the bad of the world.

I think this movie, helps answer the nonbelievers questions about why God allows such violence and cruelty in our world. Short answer God lets us take it all in, he allows us to soar as high as we want or to crash and hurt ourselves. No more training wheels on the bike or governor on the engine. He allows us free will (choice), full color, full live music not muffled AM radio on a crappie speaker, full speed.

The glory of God is man fully alive, and the life of man is the vision of God.- Saint Irenaeus (180AD

Another Very important point- Christians know there is life after death, where God will set things right. Justice is Served- Wheat and the Weeds are separated. God can make it up for those who get their unfair share of pain and suffering on earth.
Sq16Aggie2006
The movie reminded me very much of the book "The Giver" I read in elementary school
Solo Tetherball Champ
Equilibrium was a much better movie about that same concept, primarily for introducing Gun-Fu and the continuation of Sean Bean as a Christ-like figure who dies for the greater good.

schmendeler
AG
I enjoyed the book a lot. a good example for younger readers of how giving up freedom for safety and security is never what you think it is.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.