Space Exploration Board: Scientists discover 7 Earthlike around a single star

1,831 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by oldarmy1
Solo Tetherball Champ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/02/22/scientists-discover-seven-earthlike-planets-orbiting-a-nearby-star/?hpid=hp_rhp-more-top-stories_no-name%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.b66374ee9c1d

This is pretty cool.
TexAgs91
AG
The star is 1/10 the size of the sun and a quarter as warm. Seems like the goldilocks zone must be pretty narrow. I'm surprised all 7 planets are within this zone and are still there. Seems like they would have gravitationally interacted with each other (i.e. planets b&c would be 1.5 times the distance between the Earth & Moon from each other every few days, and these are earth sized planets), flinging some of the lighter ones out of the zone, or out of the system.

But yeah, pretty cool. Can't wait until the James Webb telescope is operational.
Sapper Redux
3 of them are in the Goldilocks zone. I believe most of them are closer to their sun than Mercury is to ours.

Incidentally, I heard an interview with the Belgian who was part of the team that discovered the planets. They would like to name them after Belgian beers. I know this board would approve.
Woody2006
AG
Here's to Chimay.
TexAgs91
AG
Dr. Watson said:

3 of them are in the Goldilocks zone. I believe most of them are closer to their sun than Mercury is to ours.
It does say that, but it also says "But TRAPPIST-1 is so cool that all seven of the bodies are bathed in just the right amount of warmth to hold liquid water", which confuses me, because I thought the Goldilocks zone meant there would be liquid water there.

Actually they're all well within the orbit of Mercury. Mercury is .38 AU, the furthest planet in that system is .06 AU.
94chem
But are any of them > 6% ABV?
Solo Tetherball Champ
Quote:

The star is 1/10 the size of the sun and a quarter as warm. Seems like the goldilocks zone must be pretty narrow. I'm surprised all 7 planets are within this zone and are still there. Seems like they would have gravitationally interacted with each other (i.e. planets b&c would be 1.5 times the distance between the Earth & Moon from each other every few days, and these are earth sized planets), flinging some of the lighter ones out of the zone, or out of the system.
I think the solution to that riddle is these planets are so small that they don't have the ability to do so, particularly this close to their star.
PacifistAg
AG
I wonder if St. Bernardus Abt 12 is too wordy for a planet name.
RAB91
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG

haaaayyy... if you were a planet, named after a beer. Would ya drink yourself???

I know I would, I'd be delicious.
PacifistAg
AG
RAB91 said:

I just had the Trappistes Rochefort 10 for the first time last week. Delicious!
TexAgs91
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Quote:

I think the solution to that riddle is these planets are so small that they don't have the ability to do so, particularly this close to their star.

Two earth sized planets within 350,000 miles would definitely interact with each other
TexAgs91
AG
This might be a good solar system to move to before the sun dies. Trappist-1 is 500 million years old and assuming it survives the Milky Way's collision with Andromeda it has another 4-5 trillion years to go.
Sapper Redux
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

haaaayyy... if you were a planet, named after a beer. Would ya drink yourself???

I know I would, I'd be delicious.

Post removed:
by user
Amazing Moves
The goldielocks zone planets permanently face the red dwarf on one side. Does this mean there would be a strip of habitable area circling the planets in between their cold and hot sides?
Solo Tetherball Champ
Quote:

The goldielocks zone planets permanently face the red dwarf on one side. Does this mean there would be a strip of habitable area circling the planets in between their cold and hot sides?
Other than the constant hurricane force winds at the terminus, yeah, it would be habitable.
oldarmy1
AG
I will put up $1M that there is zero life on any of those planets. Any suckers wanna bet?
TexAgs91
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Trillion?

That's right. Smaller stars last much longer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I read that 3 are strictly in the goldilocks zone, but all seven could have liquid water under the right circumstances. For instance, a closer planet with a high albedo could be a little cooler than you would expect from just proximity to its star. The ones further out could have a heat trapping atmosphere or active geology generating that little extra needed
heat. They are all close enough to the zone that it is possible that little tweaks like that could mean they are habitable for life like us.

They were also apparently further out and are now closer in proximity to each other and their star. The scifi nerd in me wonders if we're seeing the results of alien planetary engineering
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
amercer
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
TexAgs91 said:

AstroAg17 said:

Trillion?

747Ag
AG
Looking in on the 7 exoplanets is Brother
Bernadus.

Sapper Redux
oldarmy1 said:

I will put up $1M that there is zero life on any of those planets. Any suckers wanna bet?

When exactly are you expecting a definitive word?
TexAgs91
AG
oldarmy1 said:

It does seem a bit hydrogen poor there (which organic molecules would need). Small star, haven't heard of any gas giants. The planets are rocky? Kind of strange though, hydrogen is the most abundant element.
TexAgs91
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

TexAgs91 said:

AstroAg17 said:

Trillion?

Rimshot
oldarmy1
AG
Dr. Watson said:

oldarmy1 said:

When exactly are you expecting a definitive word?
I already received the definitive word.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.