"I'm a bleeding-heart liberal cleric –but the COE must not accept gay marriage"

3,168 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by diehard03
Seamaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

"[marriage]... is a "gift of God in creation" in which a man and a woman may know the grace of God and, in this way, be united "as Christ is united with his bride, the Church". It is "a way of life made holy by God" and blessed by Christ's attendance at just such a union at Cana, in Galilee. And one of its three sacramental purposes is "the increase of mankind", put more bluntly in the Book of Common Prayer as "the procreation of children", reflected in the conjugality of the two sexes that enter into marriage.

That is just what it is. We may, as a society and as a Church, want to change it into something else, and we are at liberty to do so....

A measure of the paucity of the debate so far is that supporters of gay marriage have been allowed to pretend that all we're doing at a church wedding is celebrating the commitment of two people who love each other. That's not true. Yes, love is the fuel that drives the engine of marriage, but marriage itself is doing and representing other spiritual and societal things..."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/15/bleeding-heart-liberal-cleric-but-church-england-must-not-accept2/

PacifistAg
AG
Seamaster!
Aggiefan#1
AG
The Church of England is tanking fast. Far to liberal and political to be a successful Christian church. The Church must be the anchor in a changing world and cannot drift along with it.
Martin Q. Blank
Yes, sad.
PacifistAg
AG
Aggiefan#1 said:

The Church of England is tanking fast. Far to liberal and political to be a successful Christian church. The Church must be the anchor in a changing world and cannot drift along with it.
We see this in the American church as well. Far too partisan, on both sides, and too thirsty for power.
Sapper Redux
Thank goodness, I was worried Seamaster had accepted gay marriage and no longer had a purpose for posting.
Seamaster
AG
I've been here for years. And for 90% not a single post about gay "marriage"

I didn't see the need until activist judges shoved it down our throats going against the express will of the people and Christians rolled over and forgot what marriage actually is.

747Ag
AG
Yep. Way back when I joined TexAgs, I recall Seamaster was a regular participant in the Cath/Prot debates. And abortion threads with Petro.

EDIT: Pagina JUAN
Seamaster
AG
Yep. And in a nutshell.....life got busy with kids and work and I have about 5% of the time that I used to have to get into internet debates!

747Ag...don't forget Mormon debates and so called 'Torah Christianity' debates with Bracy.

Notafraid....Bob....good times.
747Ag
AG
Seamaster said:

Yep. And in a nutshell.....life got busy with kids and work and I have about 5% of the time that I used to have to get into internet debates!

747Ag...don't forget Mormon debates and so called 'Torah Christianity' debates with Bracy.

Yep. Second all that. This new job I'm in is good, but dang I'm busy. And life at home is just as busy with the six kids. Ha, only reason I'm on now is that the two littles are asleep, and the teen is playing Lego in his room. Wife has the other three at American Heritage Girls right now.
Seamaster
AG
Only five kids here....man you have it rough with six....
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
747Ag said:

Seamaster said:

Yep. Second all that. This new job I'm in is good, but dang I'm busy. And life at home is just as busy with the six kids. Ha, only reason I'm on now is that the two littles are asleep, and the teen is playing Lego in his room. Wife has the other three at American Heritage Girls right now.

Sounds like the perfect time for a drink..: or three

ETA: I honestly don't know how y'all do it. I only have 2 and feel completely out of time..
747Ag
AG
Three Chupahopras tonight.

747Ag
AG
Seamaster said:

Only five kids here....man you have it rough with six....
Yeah, I remember being at 5 kids. Things didn't get difficult until we had 6. Parents beware.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

I wouldn't call what you do "debates."
Solo Tetherball Champ
I've gotta chime and say that since I joined this board back in May, I've only seen you post about homosexuality.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

I've gotta chime and say that since I joined this board back in May, I've only seen you post about homosexuality.

Thats just not fair Solo. . . . he also posts about Transgenderism.
Solo Tetherball Champ
My bad... LBTQASDFGHJKL......
747Ag
AG
n00bs
RAB91
Seamaster said:

Mormon debates with Bob were my favorite. :-)
Martin Q. Blank
Great speech at the synod.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Seamaster been around about as long as I have, off and on anyway. Used to just chime in on the Prot v Cath threads that abounded at the time. Don't really remember any particular obsession with homosexuality.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Lone Stranger
I'll amen what others have said. Seamaster has been posting for quite a while. I remember when myself, T73, and Seamaster, and sometimes Dr. M. would get after some Cath/prot debate.

That was a large part of his posting, not all, but a large part.

It's only recently that he has frequently posted about the gay issue.

I doubt it is the only issue that he has passion about. I remember some fire and smoke when we would get after it about other religious issues.
The Lone Stranger
Sq16Aggie2006
Beer Baron said:

Quote:

I wouldn't call what you do "debates."

Maybe the Supreme Court will step in and make you accept his definition of "debates"
swimmerbabe11
I've seen a lot of people lately say that it is acceptable to assign feminine pronouns to God..and it baffles me. It not only undermines God, it undermines the role of women as icons of the church.
Sapper Redux
swimmerbabe11 said:

I've seen a lot of people lately say that it is acceptable to assign feminine pronouns to God..and it baffles me. It not only undermines God, it undermines the role of women as icons of the church.

Why would it undermine God? Does God have genitals?
Sq16Aggie2006
Dr. Watson said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Uh-oh Sapper, you are going to lose some major street cred by implying genitals have anything to do with Gender
Sapper Redux
Sq16Aggie2006 said:

Dr. Watson said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Uh-oh Sapper, you are going to lose some major street cred by implying genitals have anything to do with Gender

Sex. Not gender.
Sq16Aggie2006
Dr. Watson said:

Sq16Aggie2006 said:

Dr. Watson said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Sex. Not gender.

What does Sex have to do with feminine pronouns?
Sapper Redux
Sq16Aggie2006 said:

Dr. Watson said:

Sq16Aggie2006 said:

Dr. Watson said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Sex. Not gender.

What does Sex have to do with feminine pronouns?

You're assuming I'm linking the genitals to the pronouns. I was asking why it matters what gendered pronouns we use for a deity. Does the deity have a biological sex or a gender? If so, how or why?
Zobel
AG
swimmerbabe11
Besides the fact that no scripture ever refers to God with a feminine pronoun, there is a consistency in creation and in theology that must be kept.

God is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. He is our Father, we the children. He is our savior who took the form of a man to die for our sins. He is the Holy Spirit who shows us the law and provides faith.

Likewise, men and women were each created with a purpose. Men, to lead and provide, to sacrifice and die, to be the head of the household and the head of the church. Women, to serve, to create and bear life, to follow, to be helpers in everything. Men are the icon of Christ and Women the icon of the church.
Rusty Aha
AG
Sq16Aggie2006 said:

Dr. Watson said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Sapper Redux
swimmerbabe11 said:

Besides the fact that no scripture ever refers to God with a feminine pronoun, there is a consistency in creation and in theology that must be kept.

God is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. He is our Father, we the children. He is our savior who took the form of a man to die for our sins. He is the Holy Spirit who shows us the law and provides faith.

Likewise, men and women were each created with a purpose. Men, to lead and provide, to sacrifice and die, to be the head of the household and the head of the church. Women, to serve, to create and bear life, to follow, to be helpers in everything. Men are the icon of Christ and Women the icon of the church.

Still doesn't answer the question. Does God, the deity, have a sex?
Zobel
AG
Your question is incomplete.

God the Father is incorporeal, exists outside of all creation, is uncreated. So, He is neither male or female. We can't really say much about Him, because we aren't told much about Him.

But God the Son, Jesus Christ, the deity, does have a sex in as much as when He was incarnated He took flesh as a man.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.