William "Bill" Nye

3,133 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Woody2006
Post removed:
by user
TexAgs91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Science educators doesn't mean "science teachers" there.
No, but "science teachers" are "science educators".
NonReg85
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Science educators doesn't mean "science teachers" there.
For someone who doesn't care...you sure are working overtime goaltending for him.
Post removed:
by user
NonReg85
AG
AstroAg17 said:

I never said I don't care. I think this is a discussion worth having. If I didn't, I wouldn't be having it.
OK. I guess I mistook what you meant here.

Quote:

I agree with most of the things you've said. I don't know whether he presents himself as an authority on things. I don't keep up with him and I haven't watched anything he's done since 4th grade science class. Maybe he does misrepresent his credentials. Maybe not.

I only defended him because swimmer's post was terrible. It was clearly just an unsubstantiated attack on his career caused by his beliefs. I don't know or really care what those beliefs are, although I'd assume they're similar to mine.
Post removed:
by user
Buck O Five
AG
If you find your passion, and built a legacy on, educating a generation on basic science, it would be hard not to speak up when you see so many of them grow up and deny climate change. AGW seems to be Nye's main focus these days. but his communication is fraught with disdain that is not helpful.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Well put.
Star Wars Memes Only
Buck O Five said:

If you find your passion, and built a legacy on, educating a generation on basic science, it would be hard not to speak up when you see so many of them grow up and deny climate change. AGW seems to be Nye's main focus these days. but his communication is fraught with disdain that is not helpful.

This is probably correct. Not everyone needs to channel their inner Dawkins or Hitchens when trying to educate, and I don't think that style suits Bill very well.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I think I'd put Krauss in this category too. I've enjoyed some of his lectures, but when he gets on religion he can turn into a ragin' A-hole.
Woody2006
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

I think I'd put Krauss in this category too. I've enjoyed some of his lectures, but when he gets on religion he can turn into a ragin' A-hole.

Agreed. He's a little too impressed with himself for my taste.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.