William "Bill" Nye

3,130 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Woody2006
mark.mathews
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is a professionally trained actor.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Posting about bill nye at 2:15 am on the R&P board . . . . Can we get staff to move this to the alcohol related thread?
Sapper Redux
He's also an engineer. According to some folks on the Politics Board, that makes him more of an expert on climate change than the climatologists.
747Ag
AG
He's not as cool as Mr. Wizard.
Solo Tetherball Champ
When I was in elementary school I loved his show.
Pro Sandy
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

When I was in elementary school I loved his show.
Bill Nye isn't worthy to clean the dirty beaker of Mr Wizard.
amercer
AG
He was the science consultant for Robin Williams flubber movie.

(This is what kids and Netflix have reduced me to)
Post removed:
by user
swimmerbabe11
Is a pretentious condescending jerk whose most impressive professional achievement is as an actor on children's show.
swimmerbabe11
World's greatest what? As an engineer, He put a dampener on a jet. World's greatest children show scientist? Pretty niche market.

I'm doing pretty well in my field and I have lots of time to achieve "greatest".

When he puts out videos like his "a fertilized egg is not a human being" with worse apologetics than a kid in junior high school, it's difficult to take him serious.
Zobel
AG
He's a celebrity. Why should we believe a celebrity scientist has any more insight on weighty matters than a celebrity anything else?
Post removed:
by user
amercer
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Or anything, really.

Depends on the size (and importance) of the field.

For a time I was the worlds foremost expert on Tale-Recombinases. As you can imagine, that doesn't really work as a pickup line....
Zobel
AG
He presents himself as an authority, or at best allows himself to be presented that way. Why else would anyone watch his videos?
Sapper Redux
amercer said:

AstroAg17 said:

Or anything, really.

Depends on the size (and importance) of the field.

For a time I was the worlds foremost expert on Tale-Recombinases. As you can imagine, that doesn't really work as a pickup line....

Hey baby, I'll show you my Tale-Recombinases if you show me yours....

There might be some potential there if you work at it.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
Dunno, wanna hug it out?
Post removed:
by user
swimmerbabe11
My annoyance with him is that he presents himself as the voice of science and reason, condescends to his audience, and his apologetics mostly consist of "listen to me because I'm the science guy"

I respect a well presented argument. I respect someone who is an expert. I don't respect him because he does neither.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I gotta say . . . . He is a bit of a total condescending ass. Was his kids show this way or did he grow up to be an ass?
Sapper Redux
swimmerbabe11 said:

My annoyance with him is that he presents himself as the voice of science and reason, condescends to his audience, and his apologetics mostly consist of "listen to me because I'm the science guy"

I respect a well presented argument. I respect someone who is an expert. I don't respect him because he does neither.

What would be expertise for you? He's a presenter of science to the general public. I realize that's looked down on, but it's a critically important job and requires good knowledge of the how and why of the topic at hand. I'm sure he's better at explaining physical science than he is at explaining the life sciences, given his background. That doesn't mean he lacks the necessary expertise in either field.

Yes, if you had a question about the exact nature of climate model, you'd probably better speak to the climatologist who made the model. But if you have a question about the conclusions, he seems perfectly capable of doing that.
kurt vonnegut
AG
As an entertainer and public science educator, he's plenty qualified. And as far as his career is concerned, his been plenty successful. I feel like every time he opens his mouth these days he's either trying to bully a point across or he's trying way too damn hard to lay down the science poetry. Someone needs to tell him that not every sentence out of his mouth has to be some deeply profound philosophical revelation about the universe . . . He's no sagan. He's not even a NdGT.
747Ag
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

I gotta say . . . . He is a bit of a total condescending ass. Was his kids show this way or did he grow up to be an ass?
Too much flash on his show. A while back, I showed a Bill Nye episode as well as a Mr. Wizard episode to my kids. They preferred Mr. Wizard, despite the VHS quality youtube video.
7thGenTexan
AG
AstroAg17 said:

He's one of the worlds greatest science educators for sure.

You're just salty because he disagrees with you on things, so you can't recognize that he's successful by pretty much any objective measure.

Speaking of being salty because people disagree with you and Sapper's earlier comment on climate change, here's Bill Nye's opinion on arresting people who do not agree with AGW:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/14/bill-nye-open-criminal-charges-jail-time-climate-c/

Quote:

"In these cases, for me, as a taxpayer and voter, the introduction of this extreme doubt about climate change is affecting my quality of life as a public citizen," Mr. Nye said. "So I can see where people are very concerned about this, and they're pursuing criminal investigations as well as engaging in discussions like this

If people affect your quality of life as a taxpayer, lock them up. Obviously, then, Bill Nye should be locked up.
Post removed:
by user
BusterAg
AG
I bet either James Woods or James Franco would wipe the floor with him in any type of high level physics discussion.

He's just white Bill Cosby with a calculator.
swimmerbabe11
Curious...what made those two guys come to mine?
wbt5845
AG
I have more advanced engineering degrees than Bill Nye does.

And he is not a scientist. Just a BS from Cornell. And not much of an engineer at Boeing either.
BusterAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Curious...what made those two guys come to mine?
Both of these guys are known in Hollywood circles as being geniuses, especially Woods.

Woods has an IQ of like 160, and Franco is just a natural learner. After dropping out of UCLA as a freshmen, he went back to school at age 28, and has taken like 60 hours a semester since then, currently working on 2 Ph.D.'s.

I'm just saying that there really are some very, very smart people in Hollywood. Nye is not one of them.
Stasco
AG
I prefer Dr. Science.
747Ag
AG
wbt5... said:

... And not much of an engineer at Boeing either.
But I was...
powerbelly
AG
While Franco is very smart, he got many of those credits for being in Spiderman 3.
TexAgs91
AG
AstroAg17 said:

He's one of the worlds greatest science educators for sure.

You're just salty because he disagrees with you on things, so you can't recognize that he's successful by pretty much any objective measure.
I've had better science teachers. And my sampling is hardly exhaustive.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.