I know some think I am too critical of Baptists on here....

1,760 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyFish95
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Your daughter is homeschooled and she has a teacher

Homeschooling doesn't mean "schooled at home." There is no monolithic definition.
7thGenTexan
AG
Quote:

Jesus absolutely did not use violence in the Temple incident.

He actually drove them from the temple with a fluffy pillow.
Solo Tetherball Champ

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Jesus drove people off the temple grounds with a whip. I don't know if you have been around business owners before, but generally, I've found that when people's businesses are attacked and damaged, they will defend those businesses. It stands to reason that there were some people that day who found were whipped by Jesus.

Jesus absolutely did not use violence in the Temple incident. Had He done so, Isaiah's prophecy in Is 53:9 would be an error and not about Christ. If you look at the original language, it becomes clear He did not use violence. Here's a great paper on the original language from Andy Alexis-Baker on this subject: http://www.academia.edu/1563662/Violence_Nonviolence_and_the_Temple_Incident_in_John_2_13-15
[url=http://www.academia.edu/1563662/Violence_Nonviolence_and_the_Temple_Incident_in_John_2_13-15][/url]I don't see my position as nullifying anything in Isaiah. The verse you are citing is essentially saying "he was buried with the convicted murderers though he was not a murderer". He was convicted and sentenced to death because of what he said, not what he did.

I read through that paper (I believe you have shared this with the board several times) and as always, it starts with a premise (nonviolence) and then tries to bend over backwards to accommodate it. The guys in the early church are essentially doing the same thing. As I have stated, when people find their livelihoods threatened with a direct and physical attack they will respond.

Quote:

Quote:

Violence is not inherently bad. But there is a time and a place, and there is also sanctioned violence.

I disagree. Not to mention, we are called to be imitators of Christ. We are called to be imitators of the One that Isaiah prophesied would commit no violence. How can we imitate our nonviolent Messiah while committing acts of violence. Not to mention His teachings on nonviolence, and the fact that none of His closest followers ever used violence to defend themselves despite all, minus John, suffering violent deaths.
I'm not seeking to commit acts of violence. When my family is threatened, I will defend them to the death. That being said, I try not to respond to insult with insult, slap with slap. I will turn the other cheek as best as I can.

Quote:

Violence may be "just", at least according to man, but it's never Christ-like. I know we will disagree on this, but glad we can do so with respect and worth a realization that we are both coming from a pure intent.
Sometimes it is Godlike. You still ignore all of the instances in the OT where violence was commanded. Specific times of war against specific people. When they (Israel) was attacked. Punishments under the law.

You are left with the position of justifying that the One who says"I am the Lord, I change not" is now all like "Lol, JK all violence is bad, kay".

Quote:

Fyi, home now and the kids are wanting to hang out, so I'm going to gladly oblige them. This is fun, but not "cage match with a 10 yr old" fun. Have a great night.
Hope it was fun! I can't wait until my son is old enough to wrestle with, but I'm still happy holding, rocking, and dancing with him. 70s music (think "Guardians of the Galaxy" soundtrack) seems to soothe him like nothing else.
Solo Tetherball Champ

Ximinez: Ha! Then we shall make you understand! Biggles! Fetch...
(Biggles holds out two ordinary modern household cushions)
Biggles: Here they are, lord.
Ximinez: Now, old lady -- you have one last chance. Confess the heinous sin of heresy, reject the works of the ungodly -- *two* last chances. And you shall be free -- *three* last chances. You have three last chances, the nature of which I have divulged in my previous utterance.
Wilde: I don't know what you're talking about.
Ximinez: Right! If that's the way you want it -- Cardinal! Poke her with the soft cushions!
(Biggles carries out this rather pathetic torture)
Ximinez: Confess! Confess! Confess!
Biggles: It doesn't seem to be hurting her, lord.
Ximinez: Have you got all the stuffing up one end?
Biggles: Yes, lord.
Ximinez (angrily hurling away the cushions): Hm! She is made of harder stuff! Cardinal Fang!
(JARRING CHORD)
(Zoom into Fang's horrified face)
Fang (terrified): The Comfy Chair?
(Biggles pushes in a comfy chair -- a really plush one)
Ximinez: So you think you are strong because you can survive the soft cushions. Well, we shall see. Biggles! Put her in the Comfy Chair!
(They roughly push her into the Comfy Chair)
Ximinez (with a cruel leer): Now -- you will stay in the Comfy Chair until lunch time, with only a cup of coffee at eleven. (aside, to Biggles)Is that really all it is?
Biggles: Yes, lord.
Ximinez: I see. I suppose we make it worse by shouting a lot, do we? Confess, woman. Confess! Confess! Confess! Confess!
Biggles: I confess!
Ximinez: Not you!
commando2004
AG
"Lesser of two evils" is not a "false dichotomy". It's the strategic equilibrium of the Plurality voting system. I don't like the system, but it's the system we're stuck with.
Carnwellag2
What are you talking about??
FlyFish95
Pro Sandy said:

Seeing so many Evangelical leaders soil the gospel for the sake of Trump was quite disheartening.

Evangelicals held their nose and voted for Trump because they didn't want to see an absolute war on their faith and the ability to practice it. That 100% was comin down the pike had Hillary won.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.