Baptism

5,364 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zobel
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gotcha. One of my friends has actually started bringing a mormon girl to our church..the baptism thing is tough. She has trouble understanding why we don't consider her/her family a Christian.

Must be a difficult struggle for her.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

You say you fully understood when you were 12. Fully understood what? Say at 15 you learn something else. Get baptized again? Say at 25 you have an existential experience. Get baptized again?

You're an evangelical, too? Just kept getting baptized. It never hurts to be sure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swimmerbabe11
Ragoo said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

John the Baptist proclaimed Christ from the womb.

Do you believe that sickness and death are a result of sin in the world? If so, why aren't infants immune?
I don't understand your use of the word proclaim as it relates to a child encased in amniotic fluid.

He jumped for joy at the presence of Christ. Is that not a proclamation?

When you fangirl at a celebrity you are meeting, does that not express to the world that you adore that celebrity? How else would a baby in the womb proclaim Christ!
Zobel
AG
I'm not sure what your first sentence is saying. Sin is separation from God. By the fall of Adam (whether you take this as an allegorical event or not does not matter) we die. Not because God punishes us, but as a simple matter of fact - "you shall surely die". God is the source of all life, the creator of all things. By separating ourselves from God, mankind was in the process of complete corruption. Sin is not a legal state. There isn't some divine infinite list of possible sins, each with a description and punishment. Sin is separation and proceeding toward non-being. We are born into sin because we are not born into God.

Christ is a good God that loves mankind (Titus 3:4, 2 Peter 3:9, 1 Timothy 2:4) and Christ died for all. 1 Peter 4:6 tells us the gospel is preached even to the dead (who came before Christ). God is merciful towards all humans, infants and adults alike. If He sees fit to save me, based on my small understanding, I have no worries about babies who He has otld us He wants to come to Him, so He can bless them.

On the other hand, if you think there is an age requirement to believe, please find this scripture for me.

Faith is not pushed on a person. I gave you scriptures that showed faith is a gift that comes from God. St Paul tells Titus: "He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life." Is belief a deed? Do you think you're worthy of salvation because you chose it?

This is the scriptural formula everywhere: He saves us by His mercy through baptism (washing) which is a spiritual birth (John 3:3, 1 Peter 1:3) and is regenerative (literally born again) and then, being fresh-born, we are re-made a new creation by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. From there, being justified (through baptism and the spirit) we can be made heirs to eternal life. Just as St Peter writes that baptism now saves us through the resurrection of Jesus Christ (1 Peter 3:23).

This is why St Clement writes "Being baptized, we are illuminated; illuminated, we become sons; being made sons, we are made perfect; being made perfect, we are made immortal...This work is variously called grace, and illumination, and perfection, and washing: washing, by which we cleanse away our sins; grace, by which the penalties accruing to transgressions are remitted; and illumination, by which that holy light of salvation is beheld, that is, by which we see God clearly."

God is not limited by us, or by anything. Again from St Clement "As at His command all things were made, so on His bare wishing to bestow grace, ensues the perfecting of His grace." But we also are given promises from God about how He will interact with us. Baptism is one of those promises.

I already showed you "where in the bible" it says that faith is not from us but from God. Here's another: "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day." Faith in Christ is a gift.

What I wrote in my first post is that you didn't understand baptism at 12. You don't understand it now. No one does, unless they have been given that wisdom from God, because baptism is a mystery. Spiritual death and rebirth? Born of the water and the spirit? Circumcision of our souls by the hands of Christ? These are all symbols and images that represent the reality of it, which is a bestowing of God's grace. We can't possibly comprehend our own salvation, because we can't comprehend Christ's impossible incarnation. "What is man, that he should be pure, Or he who is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?" "What is man that you are mindful of him?
chuckd
AG
jkag89 said:

chuckd said:

Reformed theology the same minus the intentions part. How would you even verify that?

As long as baptism is done in the Trinitarian formula, it is valid.
On the face of it, Mormons use a Trinitarian formula but there view of the Godhead is certainly different than the orthodox/traditional view. In other words, the formula is correct, the intent is not in view of the Catholic Church.
True. I should have added "within the church." Mormons are not a church. They have no connection to the apostolic church. There is no evidence that a valid baptism was made if that church through which it received a Christian is false.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
JJMt said:

You guys make some persuasive arguments. Do you think an adult needs to be rebaptized again if previously sprinkled as an infant?

What if the infant, when it grows to teenage years (or to the age of accountability, whenever that might be), expressly rejects God and Christianity, but then in later years becomes a Christian? Does that person need to be baptized as an adult?

What if an infant is sprinkled into the Lutheran faith, but then converts to Roman Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy, or vice versa?

What about adults who were baptized as adults into one faith tradition and then later convert to another?

I'd love to hear the opinions of not only k2, but also swimmerbabe and members of the RCC so that we get all perspectives.
The Church (as lead by a bishop) can accept someone with a baptism in the name of the Trinity by economy. If that's the case, we usually receive them with christmation into the church.

The same goes for all the questions -- the kid was already a Christian, but had lapsed. We receive them back into the church again with chrismation or even a profession of faith.

Orthodox baptize by triple immersion, one dunk for the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. This is also a really old custom, with a witness going back to ~90 or 100 AD in the Didache and St Hippolytus' writings from around 215 AD. But the mechanics of it aren't what truly matter - it's a mystery of grace from God.

For the last post, JJMt, Orthodox dunk babies too. All the way under, three times.
swimmerbabe11
JJMt said:

Quote:

A question of my own, why did you use the word sprinkling when the sacrament involves infants instead of just using the word baptism?
Good question. Probably to distinguish between the actual procedures of sprinkling that usually is done to infants as opposed to the full dunking that many faith traditions practice with adults.

Does your faith sprinkle adults too or does it do full dunking?

What is the biblical or historical basis for sprinkling vs. dunking?

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all here. I'm learning, and finding this fascinating.
Taken from LCMS page, because I'm not the authority and its easier than typing everything out.

Quote:

On the basis of the evidence provided in the New Testament, it is not possible to prove that the term "baptize" always refers to immersion, nor that the Baptisms mentioned were all done by immersion implying (in the view of some) that only Baptisms done by immersion can be considered valid.
In fact, taken as a whole, the evidence suggests otherwise. In some cases the term "baptize" is synonymous with "wash" (Titus 3:5-6; see also Heb. 9:19; Eph. 5:26, Acts 22:16; and Mark 7:1-4 a passage in which some earlier translators considered the term "baptize" to include the washing of "dining couches"), and it is highly likely that Baptisms were performed in the early church by methods other than immersion.
Three thousand were baptized on Pentecost in Jerusalem, where no river exists and no mention is made of other large quantities of water that would or may have been used.
In fact, the shortage of water supplies in general in many parts of the ancient world would have precluded Baptism by immersion.
As the Supplementary Volume of The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible correctly notes, "It is unlikely that in Jerusalem, Samaria, Damascus, Philippi, Corinth, Rome, or Asia Minor enough water was always available for a full bath" (87).
It should be noted that very early in Christian history methods other than immersion were used and allowed. The Didache requires the administrant of Baptism to "pour water three times on the head" (7:3). No mention is made of immersion.
Early Christian art depicts Baptisms of persons standing in shallow pools with water poured on the head (see David Scaer, Baptism, 96-101).
Lutherans have therefore held that the manner of Baptism (that is, immersion, pouring, sprinkling, etc.) does not determine whether a Baptism is valid, any more than the manner of distributing the Lord's Supper (common cup, individual glasses) affects the validity of this Sacrament. Only the Word of God and the "element" (water), according to divine institution, makes a Baptism valid.

ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Three thousand were baptized on Pentecost in Jerusalem, where no river exists and no mention is made of other large quantities of water that would or may have been used.

Just had to comment. There were immersion baths all over Israel at the time of the first Christians. Which makes sense, immersion was also a method of becoming ritually pure in the OT law.

http://mikve.net/content/683

Quote:

To date, over 700 Jewish ritual baths (miqwa'ot) have been uncovered throughout the Land of Israel, most of them dating to the Second Temple period. These miqwa'ot appear in various contexts in private domiciles, next to synagogues, near burial grounds, and in association with the Temple compound in Jerusalem.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
That quote about the Didache is misleading. The Didache says:

Quote:

And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have no living water, baptize into other water; and if you cannot do so in cold water, do so in warm. But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whoever else can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

So, the prescribe method is triple immersion, and if you can't pour water three times on the head.
Post removed:
by user
jkag89
JJMt said:

Quote:

A question of my own, why did you use the word sprinkling when the sacrament involves infants instead of just using the word baptism?
Good question. Probably to distinguish between the actual procedures of sprinkling that usually is done to infants as opposed to the full dunking that many faith traditions practice with adults.

Does your faith sprinkle adults too or does it do full dunking?

What is the biblical or historical basis for sprinkling vs. dunking?

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all here. I'm learning, and finding this fascinating.
In the Catholic Church the primary method is by infusion, liberal pouring of water upon the head. This is true whether the person receiving the sacrament is an infant , child or an adult.

Full immersion is becoming more common with newer churches having baptismal fonts to accommodate this practice, and in some Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church was always quite common.

While considered valid, sprinkling as a method is not common in the Catholic Church.
Ags4DaWin
k2aggie07 said:

He didn't teach and bless them, He laid His hands on them and prayed for them "and then He departed".
Is not a blessing a prayer in which someone lays hands on a person and says a prayer over them? Soooo...what was the purpose of the laying on of hands if he didn't bless them?

k2aggie07 said:

. Everyone is in need of baptism, even infants. We are born into sin, Psalm 50 says "I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me."
I just read psalm 50 five times and this quote is nowhere in the psalm. Which translation are you using or are you paraphrasing although even a paraphrasing would not match up with my reading of it.

I suppose that your belief regarding the need of infant baptism therefore is directly dependent upon your belief in the concept of original sin.

k2aggie07 said:

Our fallen nature isn't about individual sins but about the curse of death every human inherits from Adam.
I agree here. As mortals we have a fallen nature. As fallen men we are prone to sin. Thus we have need for the Christ's atonement.

k2aggie07 said:

We can not conclude what you think, because it would require us to invalidate many scriptures.
please X pound on this as I have seen nothing you have posited that contradicts my position. If you are claiming that infants require baptism you are the one under the burden of proof because you are trying to show that something is required. i am making no claim. Just pointing out scant scriptural support for your position.

k2aggie07 said:

And of course the kingdom of heaven is for "such as these". He already explained this previously, in Matthew 18. "Unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven." And what did He mean by "like children"? "Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Children are humble, and have a simple joy and faith. He's not suggesting we become sinless like children. We don't "become sinless," our sins are forgiven. We become humble, we become pure and simple in our faith, by God's grace.
. This is where things get fun. You are taking a completely different scenario and a completely different sermon and making a flimsy connection between the two. The first o cuts in Galiea the second in Judea under different circumstances. The first, someone asks Jesus who will be greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Jesus as a way of pointing out the silliness of the questioner as well as pointing out the purpose of the gospel and the power of chest, pulls a little child and states that a child, one who is humble will be the greatest. Based on the context of the time, the strife among the Pharisees and Sadducees and even Samaritans amongst themselves regarding who was correctly living the law of God and who would be most favored of God and would receive the greatest reward, Jesus is plainly putting the questioner down and illustrating that it is not important to puff yourself up or worry about your reward. It is those who do not worry about such things and humble themselves before God and simply try to follow His example that receive the greatest reward.

k2aggie07 said:

Your logic belies a fallacy that if a person is without sin, they don't need a savior.

No, my logic is based on a different understanding of sin which is a different debate altogether. You obviously believe that by being born we sin. And therefore are sinners through simply being created by God. I do not. But That is a slightly different debate, an extension of this debate no doubt but a different debate altogether, one I would be interested to have at some juncture.

k2aggie07 said:

Your mere intellectual belief is the same error in logic I addressed above - that somehow by our meager "belief" or "understanding" we can be worthy of the divine blessing by Christ.
actually that is not my position. My position is that faith or belief, the beginning of which must come before baptism, otherwise there is no baptism. A prerequisite for baptism is faith. Faith is the first step toward being converted toward Christ, and baptism is the second progression of that faith.

(Sorry I lost ur entire quote here:
k2aggie07 said:

Infant baptism was practiced by the entire church, as far back as we have records. The lone ancient dissenter was Tertullian, and he references sponsors. By this very witness we can see that the practice of baptism of infants with sponsors was already in effect (around 200 AD).
. As far back as we have records being the operative word here. 200 AD is over 150 years after Christ's death and there was arguments among the early church fathers regarding several matters. It is well accepted that during the earliest missionary years of the church, the gospel was preached to adults and adults were the ones being baptized. Whether or not infant baptism existed in New Testament times is a matter of dispute. Certainly there were some early church fathers that supported it and believed it to be apostolic in origin. Others however, notably Tertullian as you stated did not. If it was a subject so easily settled then there would not have been dissent in the early church.

Also I have yet to see an example of infant baptism in the New Testament. Show it to me and I will gladly recant.
agie95
AG
FTAggies said:

Well tradition is rooted in scripture. "Hold fast to the traditions that I tell you"..... 2 Thessalonians 2:15

Anyway I would think it very odd as a "new" Christian in the early first century that my newborn would be allowed to be brought into the old covenant(circumcision) but not the newer "better" covenant under Jesus.
Babies were not brought into the covenant b/c they were circumcised. Someone was brought into the covenant with their heart was circumcised...same as today.
agie95
AG
k2aggie07 said:

That quote about the Didache is misleading. The Didache says:

Quote:

And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have no living water, baptize into other water; and if you cannot do so in cold water, do so in warm. But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whoever else can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

So, the prescribe method is triple immersion, and if you can't pour water three times on the head.
This is b/c a proper mikvah, prior to the start of Christianity, was triple immersion.
jkag89

Quote:

I just read psalm 50 five times and this quote is nowhere in the psalm. Which translation are you using or are you paraphrasing although even a paraphrasing would not match up with my reading of it.
Probably a typo, try Psalms 51:5.
Ags4DaWin
k2aggie07 said:

I didn't see anywhere in the quote that if immersing it was required to be done three times. Was the quote truncated? The only mention of three other than baptizing in the name of the trinity I see is that if you can't find water for immersion, pouring of water three times over the head.
Zobel
AG
Quote:

Is not a blessing a prayer in which someone lays hands on a person and says a prayer over them? Soooo...what was the purpose of the laying on of hands if he didn't bless them?
Sorry -- you said he blessed and taught them. I was saying he did not teach them, just blessed.

The Orthodox church uses the Septuagint OT, and Psalm 50 in the Septuagint is Psalm 51 in the Masoretic text. Psalm 51:5 in your bible is what I was quoting.

Quote:

I suppose that your belief regarding the need of infant baptism therefore is directly dependent upon your belief in the concept of original sin.

I agree here. As mortals we have a fallen nature. As fallen men we are prone to sin. Thus we have need for the Christ's atonement.
This is the concept of original sin as understood in the east (distinction between the definition that grew out of St Augustine's writings in the west).

Christ didn't answer the question of who would be greatest at first in Matt 18:3. His first lesson was unless you change and become as a little child, you won't even enter. What I was addressing was your assertion that what Christ was saying was that the example to be like a child was a sinlessness that didn't require baptism - you directly suggested this "Therefore we can conclude that Jesus did NOT consider these children sinners and thus NOT in need of baptism as only sinners are in need of baptism." I am telling you that the kingdom of heaven virtue here being described in both cases is identical, and has nothing to do with sinlessness or need of the grace conferred by baptism.
Quote:

No, my logic is based on a different understanding of sin which is a different debate altogether. You obviously believe that by being born we sin. And therefore are sinners through simply being created by God. I do not. But That is a slightly different debate, an extension of this debate no doubt but a different debate altogether, one I would be interested to have at some juncture.
Being born is not a sinful act. We are born into a fallen world. Our nature, which as created is fundamentally good, was tarnished by the fall. Christ is the New Adam because He restored the fallen nature of man in Himself, forever tying the divine nature to the nature of man in Himself. By dying to our flesh and being spiritually reborn in the Spirit, He unites us to Himself, our flesh to His divinity. This is the mystery of salvation, and it has nothing to do with any particular individual sin. As I said, even a sinless person would be in need of this deifying grace.
Quote:

My position is that faith or belief, the beginning of which must come before baptism, otherwise there is no baptism. A prerequisite for baptism is faith. Faith is the first step toward being converted toward Christ, and baptism is the second progression of that faith.
Faith comes from God. Ephesians 2:1-9 explicitly, incontrovertibly, and fundamentally refutes the premise that our belief engenders our salvation. Faith is a gift from God promised to believers. Romans 1-5 is about faith, how faith is the answer and not the works of the Law, how faith fixes what we were fallen in the flesh. And when is this sealed in us? Baptism. Chapter 6 is about baptism. St Paul tells us that since we were baptized into Christ's death and raised into new life we have been "freed from sin and enslaved to God" and therefore we can "derive our benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life."
Quote:

200 AD is over 150 years after Christ's death and there was arguments among the early church fathers regarding several matters. It is well accepted that during the earliest missionary years of the church, the gospel was preached to adults and adults were the ones being baptized. Whether or not infant baptism existed in New Testament times is a matter of dispute. Certainly there were some early church fathers that supported it and believed it to be apostolic in origin. Others however, notably Tertullian as you stated did not. If it was a subject so easily settled then there would not have been dissent in the early church.
What matters? Not baptism. Not salvation. Not the Eucharist. Not ecclesial structure.

St. Polycarp (69-155 AD) said he had been in service to Christ for 86 years, suggesting he was baptized as a baby.
Pliny tells Trajan in 112 AD that children belong to the Christian cult in just the same way as do the adults.
St. Justin Martyr's first apology (150 AD) speaks of "many, both men and women, who have been Christ's disciples from childhood"
St. Irenaeus of Lyon (130-202 AD) wrote about "all who are born again in God, the infants, and the small children . . . and the mature."
St. Hippolytus in 215 AD wrote that "first you should baptize the little ones...but for those who cannot speak, their parents should speak or another who belongs to their family."

I already noted that Tertullian was a witness to the same practice of sponsors. Tertullian is the lone voice, and his wasn't an objection to the salvific nature of baptism but whether it was proper. Regardless, he was wrong, and he's not a church father.
Quote:

Also I have yet to see an example of infant baptism in the New Testament. Show it to me and I will gladly recant.
Five households were baptized.

Cornelius, Acts 11:1314
Lydia, Acts 16:15
The Philippian Jailer, Acts 16:33
Crispus, Acts 18:8
Stephanas, 1 Corinthians 1:16

The household included children.

Noah (Genesis 7:1)
Abraham (Genesis 17:23) including specifically his son Isaac circumcised when he was eight days old (Genesis 21:4)
The whole household of every family was taken out of Egypt, and God's institution of the Passover specifically included the children (Exodus 12:2428)
Zobel
AG
baptize into the name of the Father (once), and of the Son (twice) and of the Holy Spirit (three times).

If you can't do this, pour water three times in the name of the Father (once) and the Son (twice) and the Holy Spirit (three times).

This is the same way St Hippolytus witnesses to baptisms occurring, with the exception that the candidate for baptism answers "do you believe in the Father? (baptize) and the Son? (baptize) and the Holy Spirit? (baptize)."
Ags4DaWin
jkag89 said:

Quote:

Probably a typo, try Psalms 51:5.

This is the psalm which is written after Nathan the prophet addresses David after he commits adultery with Bathsheba. This is a personal Psalm and not one that is meant to address man's current state, simply his sin against God by committing adultery. The entire Psalm is David lamenting the heinousness of his sin, and nowhere does he seek to rationalize it. Many readings of the psalm point to the fact that David viewed his sin as so grievous that it was not born suddenly, but some dark aspect of his nature that was present when he was born or conceived. And the context supports this. I have seen no support for the idea that the ancient Jews or Jewish religion believed that babies were conceived in sin and by that relationship sinners before birth. If you can please do so.

So reading Into this psalm the fact that David believed that he was conceived in sin as a direct correlation to some Christians' interpretation of Original Sin would be taken completely or of context as the Jews at this time held no such beliefs. Again, if you can point me to sources that contradict this please do so.

My understanding is that at this time and in general Jewish interpretation of original sin is that it is astate of being separated from God, a state which predisposes us to sin rather than the fact that all children at birth have already committed sin because they were born.

This explanation here does a more eloquent job of explaining than I ever could.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-Psalm-51-5-mean
Zobel
AG
I am well aware of the context. This psalm is part of the typical morning prayers for Orthodox Christians, and is recited during the Divine Liturgy by the priest prior to the prayers of consecration of the Eucharist. This is the only psalm recited in its entirety in every Divine Liturgy of the Church, and has been a part of the Liturgy since at least the 200s. Psalm 50 is a fantastic hymn, a guide, a model for us for repentance. Repentance is the first task of every Christian, and the message of repentance is how Christ began His earthly ministry.

Everything in the Old Testament is there to teach us and instruct us about God (2 Tim 3:16), including this. The Psalms are not merely historical references. They are the prayerbook of the Church. It is not a private prayer (it even says "for the director of music").

The reason this prayer is significant, the reason we use David's inspired words in our liturgy are because they capture correctly the relationship of man to God. Just as Isaiah said "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts" we repent of our sins because we are people of unclean lips. Not only because of our sin, any particular sin, but because of the indescribable gulf between man and God. And the Psalm, then, correctly captures that the source of true repentance is knowledge and understanding of the overwhelming holiness of God. It teaches us how to repent, and how we are cured: sprinkling with hyssop (which is a type of the Crucifixion - cf John 19:29) and washing (a type of baptism, cf Acts 22:16, 1 Corinthians 6:11, Hebrews 10:22, Titus 3:5, etc), followed by a clean heart being created in us and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

I have put numerous references to the idea that before we are purified by baptism, we are in a state of hostility toward God and can do nothing right (cf Romans 8:7). Without faith it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6). Faith comes from God (cf Romans 10:17, Romans 12:3, Hebrews 12:2, Ephesians 2:8). Our access to faith is through a door opened by Christ (Acts 14:27, Hebrews 10:20).

We were in a state of corruption, a fallen nature. Our image was tarnished. As David says, we were born into our iniquity, we were conceived in our fallen (sinful) state. Your description of our state at birth is spot-on, this is the teaching of the Orthodox Church. Christ, by restoring us to Himself (2 Corinthians 5:19) restores our nature to what it should be. Baptism is a conveyance of grace to initiate us into this New Covenant. We are not "confessed into Christ" but "baptized into Christ" (Galatians 3:27, Romans 6:3).
Wife is an Aggie
Solid topic.. Something that my wife and I don't always agree on.

I was born and raised in a catholic church. I was baptized as an infant, first communion, first confession, and confirmation, etc...

Once I met my wife I started attending her church. She was raised baptist but we attend a non-denominational church that we both really enjoy and we both love the pastor. The pastor really pushes the entire if you were "sprinkled" as a baby that doesn't count and you should be baptized again when you can make the decision on your own.

My wife was baptized when she was around 10 years of age after she made the decision on her own so of course she agrees with the pastor. She has hinted to me more than once in the past she thinks I should be baptized again but hasn't brought it up the last couple years. I have agreed that I do not have any problem with our two girls waiting to make the decision on their own following the current process of our church now.
oldarmy1
AG
Interesting discussion. I read every instance of baptism as being in response to hearing/learning of the gospel. I see the Ethiopian go down into the water to be baptized after realizing its necessity unto salvation.

I read of Paul being blinded, ackowledging his sins/guilt, being 100% repentant asked the Lord what he should do, to which tbe Lord replied "And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do."

We then read that Ananias was sent to Paul and told Paul "why do you wait? Arise and be baptized for the remission of your sins, calling on the name of the Lord".

So many implications from this miraculous encounter. Does anyone think Paul didn't believe in Christ? Hardly. Does anyone doubt Paul repented of his sins? And yet he was instructed to be baptized to be cleansed of his sins.

But what about those who teach all one must do is believe? Clearly they find themselves at odds with scripture. What if I am sincerely sorry for my sins and believe? Then you need to do what Paul and every other example found in response to Christ's message did to remove their sins and receive salvation...be immersed.

Zobel
AG
Every instance but the five household baptisms.
oldarmy1
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Every instance but the five household baptisms.
There's a good study right there. Tell me about it. When did that occur? What was its purpose? When was it taught as the way unto salvation?

Like Jesus and the thief on the cross. AMIRITE?
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

Aggie4Life02 - do you listen to Apologia on a regular basis?
Zobel
AG
What do you mean? The thief on the cross was before the resurrection, and we know form St Peter's epistle that Christ preached the Gospel to the dead. All of the household baptisms are by St Peter or St Paul.
schmendeler
AG
I think we can all agree this baptism was efficacious.

oldarmy1
AG
Great read. Only thing I disagree with is the confusion over Christ supposedly going back to give his gospel to the dead. The verse in 1 Peter 4:6 says:

"For this reason the gospel WAS preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit."

In context, what was the reason? Because regardless of whether living now or long since dead you will give an account of your actions.

Christ has been around before the beginning. Noah spent 100 years calling on people to repent. Christ WAS using Noah, Moses, the Prophets to call people to live in obedience. There was no 2nd chance preaching of the gospel AFTER death. Talk about an invitation response that would be!

It is appointed unto men once to die and then the judgement. There isn't/wasn't a consolation round visit by Christ back to the dead.
Zobel
AG
I don't agree with your exegesis. There is witness in the NT as well as Holy Tradition for Christ's triumphant harrowing of Hades.

For example, in the same gospel of St Peter he writes "For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison."

Christ went and proclaimed the gospel to the dead; those that died before the Gospel of His Incarnation were not condemned unjustly in their ignorance. Hebrews tells us that the patriarchs died without receiving the promise. Of course He saved them. He rescued Adam. Salvation rolls out from the cross throughout time, it was an event of cosmic significance. Christ's sacrifice and triumph over death is a part of the eschatological now, it happened, is happening, and will happen -- He died once for all.

Charles Ellicott's commentary for English readers says

Quote:

The Greek is simply, For for this end was the gospel preached to the dead also, or, still more literally, to dead men also. No one with an un-preoccupied mind could doubt, taking this clause by itself, that the persons to whom this preaching was made were dead at the time of being preached to. If this is the case, then, pretty obviously, St. Peter is carrying us back to his teaching of 1 Peter 3:19, and is explaining further the purpose of Christ's descent into hell.

The Pulpit commentary says:

Quote:

St. Peter says, the gospel was preached also to the dead; they too heard the glad tidings of salvation (kai nekrois euengelisthe). Some have thought that the word "dead" is used metaphorically for the dead in trespasses and sins. But it seems scarcely possible to give the word a literal sense in ver. 5 and a metaphorical sense in ver. 6. Some understand the apostle as meaning that the gospel had been preached to those who then were dead, before their death; but it seems unnatural to assign different times to the verb and the substantive. The aorist euengelisthe directs our thoughts to some definite occasion. The absence of the article (kai nekrous) should also be noticed; the words assert that the gospel was preached to dead persons - to some that were dead. These considerations lead us to connect the passage with 1 Peter 3:19-20. There St. Peter tells us that Christ himself went and preached in the spirit "to the spirits in prison;" then the gospel was preached, the good news of salvation was announced, to some that were dead. The article is absent both here and in ver. 5 (zontas kai nekrous). All men, quick and dead alike, must appear before the judgment-seat of Christ; so St. Peter may not have intended to limit the area of the Lord's preaching in Hades here, as he had done in 1 Peter 3. There he mentioned one section only of the departed; partly because the Deluge furnished a conspicuous example of men who suffered for evil-doing, partly because he regarded it as a striking type of Christian baptism. Here, perhaps, he asserts the general fact - the gospel was preached to the dead; perhaps (we may not presume to dogmatize in a matter so mysterious, about which so little is revealed) to all the vast population of the underworld, who had passed away before the gospel times. Like the men of Tyre and Sidon, of Sodom and Gomorrah, they had not seen the works or heard the words of Christ during their life on the earth; now they heard from the Lord himself what he had done for the salvation of mankind. Therefore God was ready to judge the quick and the dead, for to both was the gospel preached. That they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. The gospel was preached to the dead for this end (eis tuoto), that they might be judged indeed (inkrithosi men), but nevertheless live (zosi de). The last clause expresses the end and purpose of the preaching; the former clause, though grammatically dependent upon the conjunction ina, states a necessity antecedent to the preaching (comp. Romans 6:17, "God be thanked that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart;" and Romans 8:10, "If Christ be in you, the body indeed is dead because of sin, but the spirit is life because of righteousness." The meaning seems to be - the gospel was preached to the dead, that, though they were judged, yet they might live. They had suffered the judgment of death, the punishment of human sin. Christ had been put to death in the flesh (1 Peter 3:18) for the sins of others; the dead had suffered death in the flesh for their own sins. They had died before the manifestation of the Son of God, before the great work of atonement wrought by his death; but that atonement was retrospective - he "taketh away the sin of the world;" its saving influences extended even to the realm of the dead. The gospel was preached to the dead, that, though they were judged according to men (that is, after the fashion of men, as all men are judged), yet they might live in the spirit (comp. 1 Cor 5:5, "To deliver such a one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus"). The verb krithosi, "might he judged," is aorist, as describing a single fact; the verb zosi, "might live," is present, as describing a continual state.
And, this reminds me of St John Chrysostom's Paschal Homily:

Quote:

Enjoy ye all the feast of faith: Receive ye all the riches of loving-kindness. let no one bewail his poverty, for the universal kingdom has been revealed. Let no one weep for his iniquities, for pardon has shown forth from the grave. Let no one fear death, for the Savior's death has set us free. He that was held prisoner of it has annihilated it. By descending into Hell, He made Hell captive. He embittered it when it tasted of His flesh. And Isaiah, foretelling this, did cry: Hell, said he, was embittered, when it encountered Thee in the lower regions. It was embittered, for it was abolished. It was embittered, for it was mocked. It was embittered, for it was slain. It was embittered, for it was overthrown. It was embittered, for it was fettered in chains. It took a body, and met God face to face. It took earth, and encountered Heaven. It took that which was seen, and fell upon the unseen.

O Death, where is your sting? O Hell, where is your victory? Christ is risen, and you are overthrown. Christ is risen, and the demons are fallen. Christ is risen, and the angels rejoice. Christ is risen, and life reigns. Christ is risen, and not one dead remains in the grave. For Christ, being risen from the dead, is become the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. To Him be glory and dominion unto ages of ages. Amen.
I can't hardly read that without tearing up with excitement!! Only two weeks to Great and Holy Lent...which means is won't be long before its Pascha!!!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.