What does your Lenten fast look like?

2 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I heard a proponent of intermittent fasting talk about how people are afraid of going hungry these days, and he mentioned how people used to actually fast during Lent and how it has slowly evolved into just fish one day a week, then fish anytime, etc.

So I was just curious, how many of you stick to the old school fast? How many just stick to fish? How many give up something like chocolate?

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/02/12/garden/evolution-of-the-lenten-fast.html
7thGenTexan
AG
How mine looks.

Zobel
AG
This is the typical orthodox fasting discipline during Great Lent:

-No food at all from clean Monday until liturgy of the presanctified gifts on evening of clean Wednesday (first three days). Folks that can't do that also do no cooked food for these days, or one meal a day.

-No meat, animal products (fish, dairy included), wine, or olive oil is the typical fasting rule for every day in lent.

-Saturday's and Sunday's in lent are more relaxed, allowing wine and oil.

-Fish is eaten to celebrate the feasts of Annunciation and Palm Sunday.

side note - Wednesday and Friday are normal fasting days as described above year round. The other Lenten periods are the Apostles fast (after pentecost, before the feast of sts Peter and Paul), the dormition fast (prior to the feast of the dormition or death of Mary the mother of God) and the nativity fast (40 days before Christmas).
Potcake
AG
Here's your attention buddy
Furlock Bones
AG
responses like this are childish and one could argue they are disrespectful. it's just like the posters jumping on a thread about confirmation saints to tell us they don't believe in saints.
Furlock Bones
AG
i've read of the OCC fasting rules, and it is quite intense.

as i'm entering the RCC right now, this will be my first actual Lenten fast. i look forward to it.

in the past, i've fasted for a day but not for spiritual reasons. i look forward to fasting and spending time focusing on God and my faith.
Furlock Bones
AG
as to that article at the top, people always seem to want to believe the most nefarious things about the RCC. not everything they do is for power. at one point in US history, the Church allowed midwesterners to consume beaver tail during the Lenten fast because they literally had not much else to eat. so, the Church made an exception saying that beaver tail could be considered like fish.
Zobel
AG
St John Cassian:

Quote:

[The Fathers] have not given us only a single rule for fasting or a single standard and measure for eating, because not everyone has the same strength; age, illness or delicacy of body create differences. But they have given us all single goal: to avoid over-eating and the filling of our bellies. []The Fathers have handed down a single basic rule of self control; 'do not be deceived by the filling of the belly' (Prov. 24:15)

Also by the same saint:
On keeping the true fast
http://www.antiochian.org/node/17392
Furlock Bones
AG
Pope Francis from 2015 Lenten Season.

Quote:

No need to throw out the chocolate, booze, and carbs. Pope Francis has a different idea for fasting this year.

Christians around the world mark the beginning of Lent with the celebration of Ash Wednesday. This ancient day and season has a surprising modern appeal. Priests and pastors often tell you that outside of Christmas, more people show up to church on Ash Wednesday than any other day of the yearincluding Easter. But this mystique isn't reserved for Christians alone. The customs that surround the season have a quality to them that transcend religion.

Perhaps most notable is the act of fasting. While Catholics fast on Ash Wednesday and on Fridays during the Lenten season, many peoplereligious or nottake up this increasingly popular discipline during the year.

But Pope Francis has asked us to reconsider the heart of this activity this Lenten season. According to Francis, fasting must never become superficial. He often quotes the early Christian mystic John Chrysostom who said: "No act of virtue can be great if it is not followed by advantage for others. So, no matter how much time you spend fasting, no matter how much you sleep on a hard floor and eat ashes and sigh continually, if you do no good to others, you do nothing great."

But this isn't to downplay the role of sacrifice during the Lenten season. Lent is a good time for penance and self-denial. But once again, Francis reminds us that these activities must truly enrich others: "I distrust a charity that costs nothing and does not hurt."

So, if we're going to fast from anything this Lent, Francis suggests that even more than candy or alcohol, we fast from indifference towards others.

In his annual Lenten message, the pope writes, "Indifference to our neighbor and to God also represents a real temptation for us Christians. Each year during Lent we need to hear once more the voice of the prophets who cry out and trouble our conscience."

Describing this phenomenon he calls the globalization of indifference, Francis writes that "whenever our interior life becomes caught up in its own interests and concerns, there is no longer room for others, no place for the poor. God's voice is no longer heard, the quiet joy of his love is no longer felt, and the desire to do good fades." He continues that, "We end up being incapable of feeling compassion at the outcry of the poor, weeping for other people's pain, and feeling a need to help them, as though all this were someone else's responsibility and not our own."

But when we fast from this indifference, we can began to feast on love. In fact, Lent is the perfect time to learn how to love again. Jesusthe great protagonist of this holy seasoncertainly showed us the way. In him, God descends all the way down to bring everyone up. In his life and his ministry, no one is excluded.

"What are you giving up for Lent?" It's a question a lot of people will get these next few days. If you want to change your body, perhaps alcohol and candy is the way to go. But if you want to change your heart, a harder fast is needed. This narrow road is gritty, but it isn't sterile. It will make room in ourselves to experience a love that can make us whole and set us free.

Now that's something worth fasting for.

reading about the Jesuits and specifically more about Pope Francis, the more respect and admiration i have for him and am glad i'm coming into the Church at this time. The Ignatian call to quiet yourself and look inward to hear God's voice is I believe a step back towards the way the Church is supposed to be.
7thGenTexan
AG
Quote:

people always seem to want to believe the most nefarious things about the RCC. not everything they do is for power.

Quote:

the Church allowed midwesterners to consume beaver tail

Furlock Bones
AG
7thGenTexan said:

Quote:

people always seem to want to believe the most nefarious things about the RCC. not everything they do is for power.

Quote:

the Church allowed midwesterners to consume beaver tail

there's quite literally nothing nefarious about that. the Tradition prescribed a certain style of fasting. the Church realizing the people had almost no way to follow the normal Tradition found a way to satisfy the intent.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
No fasting for me. But that Orthodox schedule is intense, time to up your game RCc
Stasco
AG
k2, my understanding is that shellfish is allowed during parts of the fast when other animal products, including boned fish, are proscribed. The rule is basically nothing with a spine, right?
Zobel
AG
Yep. Easiest way to think of the fast is poor people food. Meat, dairy, wine, olive oil are all luxury foods historically. Shellfish were considered garbage food.

The Lenten fast is really tough the first time. I look forward to it every year now, I miss it. Part of the reason you get better at it is at first you wind up being really worried or focused on not breaking it to the nth degree. I find St John Cassian's guidance is really where its at. The fast is physical and spiritual. Physically, to discipline ourselves against thinking that tasty food in this life is desirable versus what Christ gives us, and against gluttony by simply eating less, not eating to fullness. And Spiritual, to fast from sin, to avoid evil in every possible way. There's a reason the first three days of lent are called "Clean". The original cleanse diet!

And I guarantee you, you have never enjoyed a pizza, or pancakes bacon hash browns and eggs over easy until you haven't had meat or really anything good for a month. Talk about a religious experience!
Furlock Bones
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Yep. Easiest way to think of the fast is poor people food. Meat, dairy, wine, olive oil are all luxury foods historically. Shellfish were considered garbage food.

The Lenten fast is really tough the first time. I look forward to it every year now, I miss it. And I guarantee you, you have never enjoyed a pizza, or pancakes bacon hash browns and eggs over easy until you haven't had meat or really anything good for a month. Talk about a religious experience!
just look at indentured servants in the NE US. many had contracts stating they would only have to eat lobster so many times per week!
Stasco
AG
Yeah I've always thought that bit of history - that shellfish used to be trash food - was pretty funny. Speaking as a Catholic, I have to shake my head when I see the ways that certain people approach fasting during Lent. Knights of Columbus doing a big catfish fry with lots of beer, or families going to Red Lobster and getting the all you can eat shrimp. That kind of stuff doesn't really hold up to the spirit of the whole deal.

On a related note, a big part of the reason why the Catholic bishops in the US relaxed the fasting rules after Vatican II was that so many people were adhering to the technicalities but not really the spirit, either by eating lots of nice fish, or because many people were becoming vegetarian anyway. When the rules changed away from fasting from meat every Friday all year long, the idea was that each person is responsible to come up with a sacrificial act for himself. Of course, a lot of people just took it as "hey, I guess I can eat meat now, woohoo!" and totally forgot about replacing that sacrifice with another.
Furlock Bones
AG
that's pretty much what Pope Francis was speaking about back in 2015. fasting from one particular thing isn't the point of fasting in the Lenten season.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

But Pope Francis has asked us to reconsider the heart of this activity this Lenten season. According to Francis, fasting must never become superficial. He often quotes the early Christian mystic John Chrysostom who said: "No act of virtue can be great if it is not followed by advantage for others. So, no matter how much time you spend fasting, no matter how much you sleep on a hard floor and eat ashes and sigh continually, if you do no good to others, you do nothing great."

Not trying to derail or disagree Chrysostom or with the friggin' Pope, but I always thought fasting was a great supplement to any supplicant prayer. It shows you are serious about your requests to God, and that you are willing to endure hardship to show him that. I always think of David fasting and praying for his sick baby son, and then he immediately stopped when the child died. The whole point of his fasting was to add weight to his prayers. So I think even a fast that doesn't directly benefit anyone else can still be virtuous.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stasco
AG
Furlock Bones said:

that's pretty much what Pope Francis was speaking about back in 2015. fasting from one particular thing isn't the point of fasting in the Lenten season.
At the risk of sounding like I'm disagreeing with myself and totally derailing the thread, I do want to add in a pretty big caveat here.

There is a critique I see of Lenten fasting that follows a theme you see with so many other topics regarding Christian discipline, ritual, and tradition. The critique is essentially that we shouldn't let particular rules of the fast distract us from the end goal. Don't miss the forest for the trees, and all that. It's a valid point, and I don't disagree with this, but in practice I see far too many people doing the exact opposite.

There's this tendency among both Protestants and secular non-religious people to make the argument that X ritual or practice is unnecessary, and that we should only focus on the end goal. Some examples: Going to church every Sunday isn't really necessary as long as you love God and your neighbor. Fasting during Lent is unnecessary as long as you remember to be charitable to others. Going to confession is unnecessary as long as you recognize your sins and apologize to God directly. Worrying about arcane rules from some dudes in Rome is unnecessary as long as you are true to your own morals. Etc. etc. etc.

What these arguments overlook is that the entire point for every single one of those rituals and traditions is to help believers to practice and refine their faith. It's partially correct to say that the ritual may not be the end goal, but that doesn't mean it's not the best way to get there. Yes, the end goal is being close to God, but the ritual of the mass is the best way we know how to accomplish that. Yes, the end goal is being charitable to our neighbors, but the discipline we achieve through fasting and self-sacrifice is the best way we know how to refocus ourselves on the needs of others. Yes, the end goal is for God to forgive our sins, but confession with a priest is the best way we know how to name and confront our sins, and commit to sin no more. Yes, being a moral person is the end goal, but studying the law of the Church as handed down over the ages is the best way we know how follow the narrow path.

To make a perhaps poor analogy, to ignore or dismiss the importance of fasting is like dismissing the important of practice and exercise for an athlete. "Don't worry about all these passing and ball control fundamentals, just remember that the important thing is to get the ball in the hoop."

To bring this back to my earlier point, I suppose you could say that the rules around Lenten fasting involve a multi-step process. Abstain from meat -> gain self discipline -> learn to be more charitable to others. If, for whatever reason, we find that abstaining from meat fails to achieve for ourselves the proper level of self discipline, the answer is not to skip the discipline step entirely, it's rather to fix that first step so that we can get back to discipline, and then onto charity.
Zobel
AG
That's a good point, but I don't think you're necessarily disagreeing. Showing compassion and care for the poor is a favorite topic of St John Chrysostom, he was very passionate about this (as I think Pope Francis appears to be). I would say that perhaps what St John C is saying is that it does us no good to become holy and pious people through prayer and fasting if we don't do anything good with that. The whole faith without works is dead thing. This is why the traditional prescribed preparation for taking Holy Communion is prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.

A side note, one thing many of the early fathers write about is not only fasting but keeping vigils. It's something I've never tried (except when my kids keep me up at night) but it fits right in with the same them - self denial to devote yourself to prayer, whether that's food or sleep.
swimmerbabe11
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ziondetroit.org/assets/uploads/theological_papers_and_studies/zts.fasting.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjf77LOo8zRAhWhhFQKHX-DDD8QFggiMAE&usg=AFQjCNGbQdC9VgvoeAix3FEersuLw1AYpw&sig2=9aT1yOY2EDixfjaDbVeloA

Not too bad. Friday and Saturday no meat. More about rationing. 2 1/4th meals during the day and a full dinner
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.