Catholics do NOT worship icons

4,678 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Solo Tetherball Champ
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image..."
PacifistAg
AG
Or Baptists...

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Quad Dog
AG
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38531888/grandma-accidentally-prays-to-elrond-from-lord-of-the-rings
ramblin_ag02
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
Martin Q. Blank
ramblin_ag02 said:

yah, mom's an idiot for not knowing what Jesus really looks like.
Aggiefan#1
AG
I don't see Catholicism at fault there. I see second/third world craziness.

I've yet to see anything like that from my (Antiochian Orthodox) church and we REALLY love us some icons.

Can we just agree the video is the Popes fault since the Philippines is 80% RCC;-)

commando2004
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

yah, mom's an idiot for not knowing what Jesus really looks like.
Well, based on Catholic tradition, we at least know that Jesus was a White guy.

Specifically, their doctrine of transubstantiation, which makes the claim that Jesus is a cracker.
Aggrad08
AG
I haven't seen the Catholic's claim that, can you point me to a source?
commando2004
AG
It's a joke, son.
Aggrad08
AG
I think texags is breaking my sarcasm and parody meter.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Martin Q. Blank
Aggiefan#1 said:

I don't see Catholicism at fault there. I see second/third world craziness.

I've yet to see anything like that from my (Antiochian Orthodox) church and we REALLY love us some icons.

Can we just agree the video is the Popes fault since the Philippines is 80% RCC;-)
Does the Pope or local bishop or whatever not have control over this? I've been told on this board that what they are doing is NOT Catholic teaching. So these people must be COMPLETELY ignorant of Catholic teaching. Who is to blame for that?
PacifistAg
AG
TampaBayAg said:

I checked this guy out and found he wrote a book that's for sale on Amazon. Saw a review that made me laugh: "Easy to read and understand, and correct Bible was used !"

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume they're talking about the KJV.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Does the Pope or local bishop or whatever not have control over this? I've been told on this board that what they are doing is NOT Catholic teaching. So these people must be COMPLETELY ignorant of Catholic teaching. Who is to blame for that?
Not trying to call out Catholics, but most the Catholics I know don't really care about the Churches teaching on moral or theological issues. They go to Mass, take the Eucharist, go to confession, do penance, and go back to their lives unhindered.

To be fair, I've noticed a similar phenomenon at just about every Protestant church I've attended as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
TampaBayAg said:

PacifistAg
AG
jkag89 said:

Ah, Amelia Pond....

Jim Hogg is angry
AG
RetiredAg said:

TampaBayAg said:

PacifistAg
AG
TampaBayAg said:

RetiredAg said:

TampaBayAg said:

Well, which version of the KJV? I always got a good chuckle out of the insistence on using KJV-only in fundie school especially given the strong suspicions that King James was gay. My brother even got an F on a Bible class assignment because he used the NIV. Ah, good ol' legalisms.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Quote:

Well, which version of the KJV? I always got a good chuckle out of the insistence on using KJV-only in fundie school especially given the strong suspicions that King James was gay. My brother even got an F on a Bible class assignment because he used the NIV. Ah, good ol' legalisms.

PacifistAg
AG
TampaBayAg said:

Quote:

LOL
chuckd
AG
I personally like the translations of L.R. Knost.

And this is why we should not make images of God. Not to mention any image of him would be an insult as if he could be imagined by human minds.
PacifistAg
AG
chuckd said:

I personally like the translations of L.R. Knost.
I'm not aware of her producing her own translation. The only thing I've seen is her delving into the original language used while researching a specific issue, but I don't think she made her own translation of the Bible.

I never understood the obsession w/ KJV though. I get that one may prefer it, but heck, at fundie school they referred to the NIV as the New International Perversion. They went so far as to say if you were "led to Christ" with anything but a KJV, then you never got saved. Like I said, if KJV is your preference, fine. But it seems to be the only version where you have an obsessed fanbase.
chuckd
AG
It's not the KJV, it's the manuscripts it is based on. Has God's word been preserved through the ages or not? If yes, then one in the lineage of textus receptus is for you. KJV and the Geneva Bible are the most popular, KJV given preference since it was the last authorized version of the church. If not, then one in the lineage of the critical text is for you.

Outside of the doctrinal distinction, there are grammatical reasons to prefer the KJV. English today does not distinguish between second person singular and plural pronouns. It requires an additional resource to know if the speaker is addressing you or y'all.
Stasco
AG
Strictly speaking, "worship" is a fairly broad term that can include both veneration and adoration, where veneration is appropriate for saints, and adoration is reserved for God alone.

As for icons, they are meant to be aids in helping the faithful to either venerate or adore the depicted person, depending on the icon. Displaying icons is certainly fully approved and supported by the church. Obviously, trampling someone to death in order to touch an icon is not condoned by the church.

HTH
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Zobel
AG
That chart is funny. How come Antioch is more apostley than Alexandria? Alexandria was founded by St Mark, Antioch by St Peter and St Paul.

The modern Orthodox Church uses primarily the KJV as a reference to translate their Greek texts to English.

I think there is a bit of an axe to grind against... something... there.
PacifistAg
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I think there is a bit of an axe to grind against... something... there.

I've seen that chart, or charts like it, in the fundamentalist churches I grew up in. There's almost on idolatrous view of the KJV. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a gripe with the KJV. I still reference it at times, although I primarily use NASB now. But what I grew up in with regards to Bible versions was scary.
Zobel
AG
I guess if you lose the lens and small-o orthodox interpretative guidance, you better be darn sure the remaining scriptural standard is iron clad. They've transferred the infallibility of the church by consensus expression to the invisible infallibility by preservation... both run the risk of a tautological line of thinking (what is preserved is right because it was preserved) but instead of scripture ratifying tradition ratifying scripture they're left with scripture ratifying scripture etc.
commando2004
AG
RetiredAg said:

Only the original 1611 version. Don't fall for those heretical reprints that make U and V separate letters.

AgLiving06
While I don't think Catholics or Orthodox intend to worship icons (or are taught to), I can't help but think that the average person within it might be tempted to.

I read too much about people having icon corners in their house and being so proud of their specific icons that I can't help but think they are more proud of the icon than to understand its true purpose.
Zobel
AG
I can't imagine a practicing orthodox Christian would ever get cross-wise about it. It's something that is made really clear every lent at the Sunday of orthodoxy (reverence not worship). I mean, having an icon corner in your home is common -- I have one -- but the concept of worshipping an icon is so impossibly weird I can't really imagine it. I mean...I genuinely can't understand how a person could get the idea, given the prayers of the church and hymns and liturgy everything that emphasizes God, the Trinity and Christ our God.
Post removed:
by user
747Ag
AG
So why the fairly lengthy discussion? The title clearly states icon, and the OP clearly has no icon in it. It's clearly a statue.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.