More from the Religion of Peace

2 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PacifistAg
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Every day is 9-11 in Israel. A so-called "Palestinian" just looking for a way to kill.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/israeli-soldier-killed-jerusalem-truck-attack-us-citizen/story?id=44650048
AggieRain
AG
With all due respect, the Palestinian/Israel conflict is not not grounded in religious conflict, and Palestinians should not be lumped into the jihadist camp. This conflict is far from one-sided, and its nature is due to political boundaries imposed on a region post-WWII.
PacifistAg
AG
PacifistAg
AG
AggieRain said:

With all due respect, the Palestinian/Israel conflict is not not grounded in religious conflict, and Palestinians should not be lumped into the jihadist camp. This conflict is far from one-sided, and its nature is due to political boundaries imposed on a region post-WWII.
wbt has a vested interest (believe he's in weapons industry in some way) in the conflict continuing and has completely embraced moral relativism on this issue. It's impossible to have a reasonable discussion with him, as he believes all Israeli abuses are somehow justified because a war that happened 50 years ago.

As you mention, it is far more complex than people like wbt like to paint it. Both sides are complicit in the deaths of thousands. The fact that Israel is blatantly violating international law is irrelevant to him. When I was over there, I did not hear a single Palestinian put the conflict in religious terms at all. What I saw was heartbreaking, yet still so inspiring. While they far too often resort to violence, I also found the Palestinian people to be some of the kindest and most hospitable people I've ever met. I was also surprised at the sheer number of nonviolence movements, whether spearheaded by Muslims or Christians, in Hebron alone. What's really interesting is to hear the perspective of Palestinian Christians vs American Christians on this topic.
wbt5845
AG
Quote:

wbt has a vested interest (believe he's in weapons industry in some way) in the conflict continuing...
I have a vested interest in the nation of Israel being allowed to exist.

Quote:

... and has completely embraced moral relativism on this issue.
I don't know what that means. You keep using it but I don't think it means anything.

Quote:

It's impossible to have a reasonable discussion with him, as he believes all Israeli abuses are somehow justified because a war that happened 50 years ago.
Well, 70 years ago, 50 years ago, 44 years ago, 35 years ago, 30 years ago, 17 years ago, 9 years ago, 5 years ago and 3 years ago. Any one of which, had the Israelis lost, would have led to the slaughter of every Jewish man, woman and child in Israel.
Sapper Redux
So your response to those who lump all Jews together is to lump all of Islam into the "bad guy"?
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

I have a vested interest in the nation of Israel being allowed to exist.
You have a financial interest in the conflict continuing. You don't really care about Israel. If you did, you'd want peace. But you back a course that is guaranteed to continue the conflict.
Quote:

I don't know what that means. You keep using it but I don't think it means anything.
You have repeatedly used the "might makes right" argument on this issue. That is textbook moral relativism. It is antichrist.

Quote:

Well, 70 years ago, 50 years ago, 44 years ago, 35 years ago, 30 years ago, 17 years ago, 9 years ago, 5 years ago and 3 years ago. Any one of which, had the Israelis lost, would have led to the slaughter of every Jewish man, woman and child in Israel.
Continuing w/ this myth doesn't make it true.

You are aware that this isn't a religious conflict, right?
PacifistAg
AG
Dr. Watson said:

So your response to those who lump all Jews together is to lump all of Islam into the "bad guy"?
Yep. And since one side has bigger guns, their actions are justified in his view. It's a vile, and antichrist, position.

What I don't get by many American Christians is their refusal to call out the evil actions of both sides. Both sides are part of this cycle of violence, but you get many American Christians that simply refuse to acknowledge Israel's role in this conflict.
PacifistAg
AG
wbt,
Let me ask you this. Do you support the conviction of Elor Azaria?
wbt5845
AG
RetiredAg said:

wbt,

yes
Create Account

Quote:

You have repeatedly used the "might makes right" argument on this issue. That is textbook moral relativism. It is antichrist.
RetiredAg, I appreciate your views on this subject and have read your stuff in the past, but this is really hateful. You can disagree with a person without this kind of language.
PacifistAg
AG
wbt5845 said:

RetiredAg said:

wbt,

yes
Do you see how the Prime Minister immediately calling for a pardon after one of his soldiers murders a man in cold blood may be detrimental to any semblance of a peace process? Or the fact that IDF soldiers shot tear gas at nonviolent protesters that were protesting illegal outposts in the West Bank (illegal under Israeli law, not just international law)? Do you see Israel in bearing any blame for the current state of the conflict?
PacifistAg
AG
Create Account said:

Quote:

RetiredAg, I appreciate your views on this subject and have read your stuff in the past, but this is really hateful. You can disagree with a person without this kind of language.
How is it hateful? He's absolutely made the "might makes right" argument before. When called on it, he never denied doing so. "Might makes right" is textbook moral relativism. It is also antichrist, in that it is against the way of Christ. It's just naming it what it really is.
Create Account
RetiredAg said:

Create Account said:

Quote:

How is it hateful? He's absolutely made the "might makes right" argument before. When called on it, he never denied doing so. "Might makes right" is textbook moral relativism. It is also antichrist, in that it is against the way of Christ. It's just naming it what it really is.
I know you are passionate about this subject, but you can use a more loving approach.
wbt5845
AG
RetiredAg said:

wbt5845 said:

RetiredAg said:

wbt,

yes
Do you see how the Prime Minister immediately calling for a pardon after one of his soldiers murders a man in cold blood may be detrimental to any semblance of a peace process? Or the fact that IDF soldiers shot tear gas at nonviolent protesters that were protesting illegal outposts in the West Bank (illegal under Israeli law, not just international law)? Do you see Israel in bearing any blame for the current state of the conflict?
Did you see how an Israeli court, with three Jewish judges, convicted a Jewish Israeli citizen of killing an Arab "Palestinian"? You walk right by the giant fact that justice was served against a Jew by Jews for killing an Arab to rail against the PM? Who is truly blinded to the words of Christ here?
PacifistAg
AG
wbt5845 said:

RetiredAg said:

wbt5845 said:

RetiredAg said:

wbt,

yes
Did you see how an Israeli court, with three Jewish judges, convicted a Jewish Israeli citizen of killing an Arab "Palestinian"? You walk right by the giant fact that justice was served against a Jew by Jews for killing an Arab to rail against the PM? Who is truly blinded to the words of Christ here?
I'm not ignoring any of that. But don't you think it's a pretty big deal when the PM immediately calls for a pardon?

Which words of Christ am I blinded to? I simply asked if you think that Netanyahu's call for a pardon is helpful to the peace process. I've not embraced the antichrist position of moral relativism.
PacifistAg
AG
Create Account said:

RetiredAg said:

Create Account said:

Quote:

I know you are passionate about this subject, but you can use a more loving approach.
It's "unloving" to call moral relativism "antichrist"?
Create Account
RetiredAg said:

Create Account said:

RetiredAg said:

Create Account said:

Quote:

Just an observation. I think it would go further if you changed your tone.
wbt5845
AG
RetiredAg said:

wbt5845 said:

RetiredAg said:

wbt5845 said:

RetiredAg said:

wbt,

yes
I'm not ignoring any of that. But don't you think it's a pretty big deal when the PM immediately calls for a pardon?

Which words of Christ am I blinded to? I simply asked if you think that Netanyahu's call for a pardon is helpful to the peace process. I've not embraced the antichrist position of moral relativism.
I think it extremely helpful to the peace process that a Jewish court with Jewish judge convicted a Jew of killing an Arab. How can you ignore what a huge deal that is to focus on the PM trying to score political points?
PacifistAg
AG
Create Account said:

RetiredAg said:

Create Account said:

RetiredAg said:

Create Account said:

Quote:

Just an observation. I think it would go further if you changed your tone.
Fair enough. I've long said that my tone can be a blind spot, so I appreciate you pointing it out to me. I will try to soften it while continuing to truthfully name what goes against Christ.
PacifistAg
AG
wbt5845 said:

RetiredAg said:

wbt5845 said:

RetiredAg said:

wbt5845 said:

RetiredAg said:

wbt,

yes

I think it extremely helpful to the peace process that a Jewish court with Jewish judge convicted a Jew of killing an Arab. How can you ignore what a huge deal that is to focus on the PM trying to score political points?
I'm not ignoring that. But the conviction was almost immediately overshadowed by Netanyahu's call for a pardon. You seem to be ignoring that.
wbt5845
AG
I can't help myself.....

PacifistAg
AG
To be fair, I never called you the antichrist. I said your position of moral relativism is antichrist.
Post removed:
by user
PacifistAg
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Your first post seems like a massive ad hominem, which I think is unusual for you. Him being in the weapons industry doesn't invalidate his opinion or preclude him from being logical.
You are right. As pointed out above, my tone has been harsh today. I'm not sure why.

Just to clarify, it's not so much that he's in the weapons industry, but he's stated before that he has worked directly with the IDF w/ regards to his job. But, that doesn't excuse my tone today.
diehard03
Quote:

Your first post seems like a massive ad hominem, which I think is unusual for you. Him being in the weapons industry doesn't invalidate his opinion or preclude him from being logical.

It reads more like exasperation from a recycled topic to be honest.

Though, using an opening line like "every day is 9-11 in Israel." may preclude him from being logical.
BusterAg
AG
RetiredAg said:

While they far too often resort to violence, I also found the Palestinian people to be some of the kindest and most hospitable people I've ever met.
Nothing justifies the violence. Nothing. "Far too often" is letting them off too lightly. Stop trying to kill people. Period.

Israel is far, far from blameless here. But solving this with violence is not going to work. That is why a lot of the rest of the world falls where they do on their opinion of the issue.
Sapper Redux
BusterAg said:

RetiredAg said:

While they far too often resort to violence, I also found the Palestinian people to be some of the kindest and most hospitable people I've ever met.
Nothing justifies the violence. Nothing. "Far too often" is letting them off too lightly. Stop trying to kill people. Period.

Israel is far, far from blameless here. But solving this with violence is not going to work. That is why a lot of the rest of the world falls where they do on their opinion of the issue.

And what about Israel? What do they need to do?
BusterAg
AG
RetiredAg said:

I was also surprised at the sheer number of nonviolence movements, whether spearheaded by Muslims or Christians, in Hebron alone. What's really interesting is to hear the perspective of Palestinian Christians vs American Christians on this topic.
This is the part of your story that provides perspective that I have not seen elsewhere.

If there really is a concentrated movement for peaceful, nonviolent demonstrations:

1) They need to get more organized;
2) They need to get their message out better to the rest of the world;
3) They need to mobilize the number of people that publicly condemn the violence.

Right now, the image of the average Palestinian is one that quietly approves of the violence. If that is not fact, it needs to be heard.

I am suspect about that, though.
BusterAg
AG
Dr. Watson said:

BusterAg said:

RetiredAg said:

Um, follow international law?

I won't fault them for protecting themselves from the violence.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

Right now, the image of the average Palestinian is one that quietly approves of the violence. If that is not fact, it needs to be heard.

I am suspect about that, though.
I would say that's the image of the average Palestinian here in the US, but from what I've seen, that's not necessarily the case elsewhere.

I see much about Palestinian nonviolence through non-American media sources. Just the other day a nonviolent protest outside an illegal settlement was violently suppressed by the IDF using tear gas. This was reported in Hareetz, but you don't see it here in the States.
PacifistAg
AG
BusterAg said:

Dr. Watson said:

BusterAg said:

RetiredAg said:

If they did, that would improve things dramatically, but they refuse to stop settlement expansion, much less remove the existing settlements, which violate international law. They continue to engage in the unlawful transfer of prisoners in contradiction to international law. And these are international laws that they've signed on to. But the settlements are the major issue, and we see how a large number of Americans began hyperventilating with the UN resolution that condemned the settlements.

This is why BDS is such an important movement, and a great example of a nonviolence movement coming from this region.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Obviously I condemn all violence. That said, do you hold this same position with the Palestinians? Do you fault them for protecting themselves from the violence perpetrated by Israel?

This is the problem w/ the myth of redemptive violence. When each side believes their violence is "just", then we just end up with a never-ending cycle of violence.
Sapper Redux
BusterAg said:

Dr. Watson said:

BusterAg said:

RetiredAg said:

So you think the settlements have to go?
PacifistAg
AG
Dr. Watson said:

BusterAg said:

Dr. Watson said:

BusterAg said:

RetiredAg said:

So you think the settlements have to go?
Every single Palestinian we met with pointed to the settlements as the major issue. Nobody cited religion. It was always the settlements. Even the Israeli peace activists, to a man, pointed to the settlements as the major obstacle. Any peace process that doesn't involve removal of the settlements will be doomed for failure.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.