Name your Confirmation Saints

4,509 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SwigAg11
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am currently researching my confirmation saint. I would like to hear who you all chose.
Furlock Bones
AG
also, a follow up, how old were you when you chose it? would the cradle Catholics that chose while teenagers pick a different one today?
swimmerbabe11
I can't play the saints game, but my confirmation verse is Acts 20:24
stillmerk
AG
Thomas More. I think I'd stick with that one if I was Confirmed as an adult.
Zobel
AG
If you get baptized as an adult, the pious Christian tradition is to actually use the name you have at the chalice.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to "die" to self, be raised as a "new name" and then "resurrect" your old name for daily use. I don't very much care for "church names".

Most converts take a saint's name that is close to theirs, for convenience. Some do radical changes -- I met a lady that told me when studying St Porphyrios as a catechumen really became attached to him and was baptized with him as her saint (this is not uncommon, and is why a lot of girl's names are feminized versions of male saint's names). I kinda wonder what she was baptized as (I don't remember) because Porphyria is a little unfortunate...
booboo91
Furlock Bones said:

I am currently researching my confirmation saint. I would like to hear who you all chose.
I was confirmed in 8th grade- did not take it seriously. I believed in God/Jesus but they were not a priority in my life. for that reason I just took my existin first name. Some vague saint who was a king.

I wish I had a do over- would of taken it much more seriously right now. I am huge fan of the saints, our role models. Sad how our society elevates sports and movie stars, when the real heros are the saints- not in the limelight who are loving and caring for others.

My oldest daughter was confirmed last year -11th grade. She had the same attitude as I did as a youth- She selected - with my help. St. Teresa of Avila- they both had headaches.
jkag89
Got confirmed in 8th or 9th grade and like booboo did not take it as seriously as I should. Chose St. James the Apostle. Given name is John and decided it couldn't hurt to have both 'Sons of Thunder' as a patrons.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
St. Ambrose
Furlock Bones
AG
knowing myself and my younger self that picking in high school would not have carried as much thought as it is now.
booboo91
Furlock Bones said:

Read- lives of the Saints- Fr. James Martin. He starts putting it in proper perspective how the saints are so beneficial. He suggests we pick saints- that are like you- have the same strengths or faults. Or saints who are not like you.

I currently have (4) saints that I follow, try to mimic, intercessory prayers: St. Teresa of Liseux- little flower (not like me), St. Francis of Assisi (Active doer -fits my personality), St. Andre (lived in Canada- very humble- not like me), St Joseph (Jesus step father)- My focus in life is pulling men to Christ, for men to be strong fathers and raise their children properly.

But each day I find more and more saints that I admire so much- St. Francis De Sales, Saint Don Bosco (favorite of TMIY founder) and Fr. Padre Pio was pretty remarkable- has incredible miracles (just died in 1968)
Guadaloop474
St. Jude
Thriller
AG
St Augustine - chosen for my conversion in 2013 - age 34.
Zobel
AG
Furlock, may I suggest St Maximos the Confessor? A true east-west Saint. One of my favorites to read.
Furlock Bones
AG
been reading a bit on St. Justin Martyr aka St. Justin the Philosopher
Zobel
AG
Try this (bootleg!) copy. Check out Ambiguum 7

https://oniehlibraryofgreekliterature.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/paul_m-_blowers_robert_louis_wilken_on_the_cosmbookfi-org.pdf
schmendeler
AG
Drew Brees
Furlock Bones
AG
there's no need for you to post on this thread.
jkag89
Furlock Bones said:

Still it was a little bit funy.
Thriller
AG
jkag89 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Still he is a little bit puny.
FIFY
747Ag
AG
John Bosco

Confirmed in 8th grade. Would choose him again.
Furlock Bones
AG
747Ag said:

John Bosco

a Seinfeld fan, huh?
747Ag
AG
Furlock Bones said:

747Ag said:

John Bosco

a Seinfeld fan, huh?
Not really. I do enjoy the show from time to time, but that episode (from a little Googling) aired after I graduated from high school.
Furlock Bones
AG
i was just giving you a hard time. i'm a bit of Seinfeld fanatic.
747Ag
AG
Furlock Bones said:

i was just giving you a hard time. i'm a bit of Seinfeld fanatic.

schmendeler
AG
Furlock Bones said:

and yet here i am.
jkag89
Thriller said:

jkag89 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Still he is a little bit puny.
FIFY
Or even funny. Can't believe I missed that typo.
Furlock Bones
AG
started a new thread. don't want to derail this thread on saints.
swimmerbabe11
Following Furlock's nonderailment principle
Furlock Bones
AG
So found this today relating to St Justin Martyr

http://lexchristianorum.blogspot.com/2010/03/st-justin-martyr-spermatikos-logos-and.html?m=1

Quote:

St. Justin Martyr: The Spermatikos Logos and the Natural Law
ST. JUSTIN MARTYR'S CONCEPT OF THE NATURAL LAW should be understood within his broader understanding of man. Like many Christians influenced by neo-Platonism, St. Justin Martyr viewed the nature of man to be composed of three distinct parts: body (, soma), soul (, psyche), and spirit (, pneuma). His view of the natural moral law is therefore colored by this tripartite notion of man. In speaking about the pneumatic life, the vital spirit, in man St. Justin Martyr uses the term (zotikon pneuma) (in Latin, spritus vitalis). St. Justin also appears to understand this as the divine principle in man, the distinguishing feature of his nature, his unique dignity. He views this as a participation in the very life of the Logos, and so he denominates it the "seed of the word" or reason in man, the (spermaticos logos; in Latin, ratio seminalis). Goodenough, 214. Man was to govern his soul and body by virtue of this , this , "which never became an integral part of the soul, but which imparted life and true reason to it." Goodenough, 212. This or constituted a divine element in man which "imparted reason as well as life to the soul." Goodenough, 212.

This divine principle in man had an intimate relation with the Divine Logos, the Word of God. "In every man," St. Justin Martyr believed, "there is a divine particle, his reason, which at least before Christ's coming was man's best guide in life." Goodenough, 214 (citing Ap. II 10.8) It is man's burden to live in accordance with reason, (meta logou), and not against or without reason, (aneu logou). It was thus living in accord with right reason, which was participation in divine reason, that was man's fundamental law.

Neo-Byzantine Styled Icon of St. Justin Martyr

According to St. Justin Martyr, the use of reason by men, even in men without express faith in Christ, is already Christ the Logos at work. "We have been taught," St. Justin declared, "that Christ is the First-born of God, and we have declared . . . that he is the Word of whom every race of men were partaken, and those who lived reasonable are Christians, even though they have been thought atheists." Apol. I, 46.1-4. "All right principles that philosophers and lawgivers have discovered and expressed they owe to whatever of the Word they have found and contemplated in part. The reason why they have contradicted each other is that they have not known the entire Word, which is Christ." Apol. II, 10.1-3. "The seeds of truth" St. Justin states, "are the formative principle of right knowledge and right living." Apol. I, 44. And all men have these "seeds of truth," or "seeds of reason." As part of St. Justin Martyr's view of natural man and natural morality, we confront the fascinating Justinian concept of the logos spermatikos, .

Zobel
AG
Orthodox beliefs from a saint. Man's natural state is good, sin is not natural to our being.
Furlock Bones
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Orthodox beliefs from a saint. Man's natural state is good, sin is not natural to our being.
i've purposely looked into Saints that are venerated by both the East and West.
Malachi Constant
AG
St. Irenaeus.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
St. Louis baby!!! He was gettin' his Crusade on!!!!
BlueAg2003
AG
Barbara. It was my mom's name. She's also a patron saint of those in dangerous jobs which was awesome when I was a police officer. She's also a patron saint of the Italian Navy, which is cool because I'm Italian.
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
Went thru RCIA in '15 and got confirmed in November of '15. I chose St Andrew the apostle.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.