Twins marry the same guy

4,677 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ciboag96
Seamaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.unilad.co.uk/life/identical-twins-announce-theyre-getting-married-to-the-same-guy/

Are there any limits to what constitutes a true marriage?
schmendeler
AG
The only ones not allowed are weddings performed by the Catholic church.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Looks like a lot of high maintenance, BSC in that pair.

wbt5845
AG
Gotta admit I'm intrigued....

jock itch
Holy crazy eyes...
747Ag
AG
When it's good, you only need one spouse (union, fulfillment,etc...). When it's bad, double trouble.

Hey, Jealousy!

And painted on eye brows... ick.
Star Wars Memes Only
Sapper Redux
wbt5845 said:

Gotta admit I'm intrigued....

That's the look they'll give him as they murder him in bed. Creepy as hell.
Zobel
AG
Post removed:
by user
Beer Baron
AG
I can't imagine having the spare time or energy to worry so much about who random people somewhere in the world want to marry.
letters at random
Beer Baron said:

I can't imagine having the spare time or energy to worry so much about who random people somewhere in the world want to marry.

I know, right. Cause marriage has only been understood for 1500 years in the western world as a holy sacrament. Why do these whiny religious people get so up in arms about total strangers reinventing the nature of the institution of marriage? What losers.
PacifistAg
AG
Seamaster said:

http://www.unilad.co.uk/life/identical-twins-announce-theyre-getting-married-to-the-same-guy/

I don't know. Let's ask Jacob, Rachel & Leah.
Beer Baron
AG
AstroAg17 said:

You don't seem to have an issue with me marrying a woman, and I don't care about the religious aspect at all. I don't pretend to know everything about sacraments but I don't think they're supposed to be offered to heathens. Are you equally upset about my impending marriage, and the marriage of believers of other faiths? I doubt it.
Not only that, I bet he's very against people having plural marriages when their religions consider such arrangements to be a "holy sacrament" or whatever for them. Freedom of religion only applies to some.
PacifistAg
AG
letters at random said:

Beer Baron said:

I know, right. Cause marriage has only been understood for 1500 years in the western world as a holy sacrament. Why do these whiny religious people get so up in arms about total strangers reinventing the nature of the institution of marriage? What losers.
But why do the civil and religious definitions of marriage need to be the same? Let the state define it however they wish. It doesn't require the church redefine anything. Now, if they state starts forcing churches to subscribe to the state's definition, then we have a problem.
7thGenTexan
AG
Sort of like Jacob marrying Leah and Rachel, except Jacob at least got one hot sister.
Post removed:
by user
7thGenTexan
AG
AstroAg17 said:

They kind of look like the troll dolls to me. Their faces, I mean.

Their hands are pretty nice. Wonder if they ever suck each other's fingers.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
That gif captured my reaction perfectly.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
AstroAg17 said:

They kind of look like the troll dolls to me. Their faces, I mean.

Nailed it.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Seamaster said:

At the risk of being accused of one of those atheists who misrepresent how Christians deal with OT morality. . . What if one of the twins was married to the guy's brother, and then the guy's brother dies? Would this allow one guy to marry twins via Deut. 25:5?
7thGenTexan
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Does that mean it sounds - what's the word we hear so often in these sorts of threads - icky?
Zobel
AG
Masterfully done sir.
BusterAg
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Seamaster said:

At the risk of being accused of one of those atheists who misrepresent how Christians deal with OT morality. . . What if one of the twins was married to the guy's brother, and then the guy's brother dies? Would this allow one guy to marry twins via Deut. 25:5?
1) This law was primarily about keeping abandoned women from starving to death or being sold into slavery. I would say that the way that our cultures protect women now compared to 5000 years ago kind of makes this thing obsolete.

2) Many people read all of the stories about Biblical patriarchs as showing polygamy as permissible. I read it and see it as showing polygamy as ill-advised. Which of these polygamous marriages in the OT avoided all of the obvious jealousy problems associated with the situation? I can't recall one.
kurt vonnegut
AG

Quote:

1) This law was primarily about keeping abandoned women from starving to death or being sold into slavery. I would say that the way that our cultures protect women now compared to 5000 years ago kind of makes this thing obsolete.

I went and re-read some Deuteronomy near and around 25 : 5-10. I'm no scholar and maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see protection of the woman as being any part of the intention of this passage. It seems to be explicitly about continuation of family lines.
BusterAg
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Quote:

I went and re-read some Deuteronomy near and around 25 : 5-10. I'm no scholar and maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see protection of the woman as being any part of the intention of this passage. It seems to be explicitly about continuation of family lines.
Women in ancient Canaan were little more than property. They could not own land. Without some sort of male patron, a woman was extremely vulnerable. Jewish law did a lot to protect the stranger, the orphan and the widow. In these times, marrying a widow was one way to protect her from destitution.

You are right that family lines probably play a role here, but the theme of protection of the widow is pervasive throughout Jewish law. Given what we know about the role of women in society at the time these laws were written down, I think that seeing this as a protection of a vulnerable class of people makes the most sense.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I don't disagree with much of what you wrote above, but I still have trouble seeing the link between the passage and an explicit intention to protect the woman.

The expectation is clearly that the widow and the brother in law are to sleep together and have children. I don't see this as a commandment for her protection. In verses 8 and 9, it talks about what is to be done with a man who does not marry his sister in law and instructs the elders to tell him: ". . . This is what is done to the man who will not build up his brother's family line." . . . He isn't admonished for not protecting the woman, but for not extending his brother's blood line.

I didn't mean to go this far down this path. . . . frankly, I think its a good thing if you believe that God wishes for women to be protected and not treated like chattel.

letters at random
Folks marrying themselves now...

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/relationships/a42034/marrying-yourself-wedding-trend/
Sapper Redux
letters at random said:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/relationships/a42034/marrying-yourself-wedding-trend/

I never would. I always vowed not to marry BSC.
kurt vonnegut
AG
letters at random said:

747Ag
AG
Dude, WTF was that?!?

Time to detox...

BusterAg
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

I don't disagree with much of what you wrote above, but I still have trouble seeing the link between the passage and an explicit intention to protect the woman.

The expectation is clearly that the widow and the brother in law are to sleep together and have children. I don't see this as a commandment for her protection. In verses 8 and 9, it talks about what is to be done with a man who does not marry his sister in law and instructs the elders to tell him: ". . . This is what is done to the man who will not build up his brother's family line." . . . He isn't admonished for not protecting the woman, but for not extending his brother's blood line.

I didn't mean to go this far down this path. . . . frankly, I think its a good thing if you believe that God wishes for women to be protected and not treated like chattel.

Yeah, kind of an esoteric point. More interesting as a way to learn about the culture at the time. Women were treated like crap, pretty much, during that time period.

I do think that a study of the OT, when comparing it to adjacent cultures, shows Judaism to show more protection of women than generally existed.

Some of that might have come from Egyptian influence; they were very progressive as to their treatment of women compared to the other non-Jewish cultures.
agie95
AG
Women could own land.

Look up Zelophehad daughters in Numbers 27.

v7-8
"The daughters of Zelophehad are right in their statements. You shall surely give them a hereditary possession among their father's brothers, and you shall transfer the inheritance of their father to them. 8 Further, you shall speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'If a man dies and has no son, then you shall transfer his inheritance to his daughter.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.