Divine Knowledge In Torah - Kosher Animal Secrets

1,227 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 7thGenTexan
agie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kosher Animal Secrets

The whole video is really good as well.

The new link is the entire clip. Fast forward to 14:26 to see what I originally posted.
PacifistAg
AG
Link doesn't work
Pro Sandy
AG
your link is %3Ciframe
agie95
AG
Thank you...updated.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
Don't forget Eratosthenes measuring the diameter in 240 BC. He also estimated the distance to the sun and moon. Smart dude.
agie95
AG
Maybe you should speak to Wikipedia then. Just b/c one or a few hold to something, does not mean everyone did. Obviously, there were many who didn't.

Flat Earth
jkag89
The Wiki article hardly backs up the video's claim that until Columbus everybody believed the world was flat, in fact quite the opposite.
agie95
AG
The point is many believe still believed the world was flat. That part was not even the part that I was referring to. Leave it up to you guys to change the subject.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

Leave it up to you guys to change the subject.
You posted a video with no comment. Astro commented on something from the video. How did he change the subject?
Martin Q. Blank
agie95 said:

The point is many believe still believed the world was flat. That part was not even the part that I was referring to. Leave it up to you guys to change the subject.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

"During the early Middle Ages, virtually all scholars maintained the spherical viewpoint first expressed by the Ancient Greeks. From at least the 14th century, belief in a flat Earth among the educated was almost nonexistent."
agie95
AG
Oral Torah was just a wee bit earlier than that though.
agie95
AG
The title gave the topic and I said forward to a certain point. It is not hard to miss.
Martin Q. Blank
agie95 said:

Oral Torah was just a wee bit earlier than that though.
I didn't watch the video. I'm going off of AstroAg's comment on Columbus' contemporaries believing the world was flat...which is false. Nobody with half a brain in the 15th century thought the world was flat.
PacifistAg
AG
agie95 said:

The title gave the topic and I said forward to a certain point. It is not hard to miss.
For future reference, if you are going to post a long video that contains many possible rabbit trails, you may want to be more clear about the specific direction you'd prefer to go. Also, when you say the "whole video is really good as well", you kind of open the door to comments on the rest of the video.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
jkag89
agie95 said:

Fair enough but why should I waste my time with any part of a video which starts off with a historical fallacy?

EDIT: I did watch the part in which you wanted us to watch.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Within the first five minutes:

False premises:

1) We must follow the Judaism because the prophets knew the world was not flat.

2) Christians believe there is no use for the Torah because Jesus came and now we "don't have to do anything." (I guess we just keep the OT in our Bibles to make it thicker and a better paper weight.)

3) "Everyone" has a problem with this Oral Torah.

4) We must follow the Oral Torah because it is divine (and ignore other divine revelation, I suppose).

No idea:

1) Avoda Zara is about benefiting from broken statues/idols. The rabbi then goes on to use the example of a picture of a man holding a ball and how this symbolizes someone in control of the earth (a ball and the earth both being a sphere). But there is no mention of a ball, just broken statues. And the rabbi uses the example of "a picture" of a man holding a ball, which isn't in the text (maybe it is buried deep in the Hebrew or he failed to provide that reference). Shouldn't the rabbi also be excited that the prophets also knew what pictures were?

Next five minutes:

1) I have no problem with his beliefs of Jews not practicing Judaism having their "Judaism on suspension" or, essentially, cultural Jews versus practicing Jews. Christians can be lumped into the same two buckets.

2) What proof is there that the Torah is really from God? Evidence is great, but Christians and Jews don't disagree on this.

3) All sea creatures are predicted? Those with scales and fins, and those without? That isn't a prediction, it's specific grouping and a second grouping that is labeled "everything else". That information ABSOLUTELY could come from mankind. That's like me saying "all space aliens that are carbon-based and oxygen breathing, and all other space aliens."

4) Then he goes to say that the Torah predicts that "all fish who have scales will also have fins". The Torah does not state that (Lev. 11:9 - "These you may eat of all that live in water; anything in water, whether in the seas or in the streams, that has fins and scalesthese you may eat.") It also is flawed logic in that the very definition of a "fish" (a limbless cold-blooded vertebrate animal with gills and fins and living wholly in water) means the creature has to have fins. If a creature has scales and no fins, it isn't a fish, so that isn't a prediction at all, but he really tries to drive that home around the nine minute mark.

Third five minutes:

1) You are what you eat is a stretch. "I fell asleep reading Torah!" Uhhhh...ok.

2) Divine knowledge of every animal that will ever exist - split hooves and chews its cud...the same flawed logic of sea creatures that are kosher and "all other sea creatures" that are not. It is also interesting to note that for the fish he seemed excited to claim that no fish had scales and no fins (disregarding the very biological definition), but the rabbi seems content with "only four" land animals that fit one of the criteria and not both.

-----

That's either really bad propaganda or the rabbi is extremely ignorant.
7thGenTexan
AG
Absurd.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.