Feathered Dinosaur Tail Found

5,063 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sapper Redux
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those with interest in Dinosaurs or evolution:

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(16)31193-9

Quote:

Here we describe the feathered tail of a non-avialan theropod preserved in mid-Cretaceous (99 Ma) amber from Kachin State, Myanmar [17], with plumage structure that directly informs the evolutionary developmental pathway of feathers. This specimen provides an opportunity to document pristine feathers in direct association with a putative juvenile coelurosaur, preserving fine morphological details, including the spatial arrangement of follicles and feathers on the body, and micrometer-scale features of the plumage. Many feathers exhibit a short, slender rachis with alternating barbs and a uniform series of contiguous barbules, supporting the developmental hypothesis that barbs already possessed barbules when they fused to form the rachis [19]. Beneath the feathers, carbonized soft tissues offer a glimpse of preservational potential and history for the inclusion; abundant Fe2+ suggests that vestiges of primary hemoglobin and ferritin remain trapped within the tail.

Star Wars Memes Only
Post removed:
by user
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Any chance we can extract DNA and GMO it with some Fro DNA and make a theme park? Cuz I am in...
Sapper Redux
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Any chance we can extract DNA and GMO it with some Fro DNA and make a theme park? Cuz I am in...

Feathered frogs
Aggrad08
AG
It was just too lazy to grow big.
Star Wars Memes Only
Aggrad08 said:

I have a feeling this is an inside joke I'm missing.
Woody2006
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Aggrad08 said:

If you haven't read the lazy birds thread, you are wrong.
schmendeler
AG
Clone that feathery *****!
Post removed:
by user
Star Wars Memes Only
AstroAg17 said:

DNA degrades way too fast to recover anything useful from this. Sorry Jurassic park fans.

Bull***** Life, uh, finds a way.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
AstroAg17 said:

DNA degrades way too fast to recover anything useful from this. Sorry Jurassic park fans.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
dargscisyhp said:

AstroAg17 said:

Bull***** Life, uh, finds a way.

Star Wars Memes Only
Woody2006 said:

dargscisyhp said:

Aggrad08 said:

Solo Tetherball Champ
Dinosaurs in drag.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Dinosaurs in drag.

Sapper Redux
kurt vonnegut said:

Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Dinosaurs in drag.

Think of it as science making them FABULOUS
Woody2006
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Woody2006 said:

dargscisyhp said:

Aggrad08 said:

Found it: https://texags.com/forums/15/topics/2387387/1

Enjoy
Post removed:
by user
Sapper Redux
I'm all in favor of a Texags hall-of-fame that saves these threads and keeps them accessible for readers. That was a jaw-dropping classic.
Post removed:
by user
Aggrad08
AG
that and the great c(theta) thread were insta-classics.
747Ag
AG
Quote:

A bird is a different species than a bird. Okay.
gordo97
AG
This proves the young earth theory because there is an ant next to that dino tail which shows that ants and dinos lived during the same time period
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
So these 8 vertebrae lack fusion, but are are from the mid-tail? The evolutionary timescale puts this feathered creature living contemporary with other birds such as the Confuciusornis. Perhaps we should tap the brakes.....

commando2004
AG
The discovery of dinosaur feathers have given more credibility to this theory:

Sapper Redux
TampaBayAg said:

So these 8 vertebrae lack fusion, but are are from the mid-tail? The evolutionary timescale puts this feathered creature living contemporary with other birds such as the Confuciusornis. Perhaps we should tap the brakes.....

Confuciusornis had fused tail vertebrae and was capable of flight. It's feathers were designed for flight. This animal was not.
Solo Tetherball Champ
auto like for The Far Side
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Dr. Watson said:

TampaBayAg said:

Confuciusornis had fused tail vertebrae and was capable of flight. It's feathers were designed for flight. This animal was not.

Hence my pointing out these 8 vertebrae are mid-tail and not distant caudal / pygostyle. We don't know from this fossil specimen.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Can you walk me through the thought process that lead to your post?

Did you come up with it or did you read it somewhere else? Do you honestly think that the very existence of unfused caudal vertebrae was overlooked by the 10+ educated people who wrote the paper, as well as the peer reviewers? Do you think that if only they had TampaBayAg on their research team, they might have noticed the most basic fact about the vertebrae that they talk about for several pages?

I'd wager that you simply copied it from some website that caters to people like you. The reason it's not classified as a bird is explicitly stated in the paper that you probably didn't read. It's not surprising that it's birdlike anyway, since it's closely related to the ancestors of birds.

The dino-to-bird link is very much unproven and very much needed by proponents of the evolutionary theory. While this specimen is new, the premise is not. I'm just an avian geek and nothing more. I'll let you scientists (aka, anyone who's taken a semester of BIOL 214) return to your enlightenment session. Have a great weekend!
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
AstroAg17 said:

You're an idiot.
Thanks.
Star Wars Memes Only
TampaBayAg said:

Quote:

Can you walk me through the thought process that lead to your post?

Did you come up with it or did you read it somewhere else? Do you honestly think that the very existence of unfused caudal vertebrae was overlooked by the 10+ educated people who wrote the paper, as well as the peer reviewers? Do you think that if only they had TampaBayAg on their research team, they might have noticed the most basic fact about the vertebrae that they talk about for several pages?

I'd wager that you simply copied it from some website that caters to people like you. The reason it's not classified as a bird is explicitly stated in the paper that you probably didn't read. It's not surprising that it's birdlike anyway, since it's closely related to the ancestors of birds.

Here's the thought process that lead him to his post:

https://answersingenesis.org/dinosaurs/feathers/dinosaur-in-amber-evolutionists-spin-another-tail/
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.