Since G&A is Also the Drinking Board

1,900 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Star Wars Memes Only
7thGenTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'm sitting in an Irish pub in Lancaster, PA. Went outside for a smoke. Put a napkin atop my freshly poured Jack on the rocks to signify my return. I got back and my drink has been dumped and my seat was taken. I asked the keep where my drink was and she said that placing a napkin on your drink means you're leaving. Turns out the guy whose wife was in my seat told her this. He said in Lancaster that's proper bar etiquette.

What say you?
747Ag
AG
Never heard of that custom, either way. To hell with dumped drinks...
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Not sure on drinking. But when done dining, silverware and napkin atop a plate signal completion of the meal/course to the server
Star Wars Memes Only
Shake your cane at them while muttering something like "Damn kids and their stupid customs, why back in my day . . . .."
7thGenTexan
AG
747Ag said:

Never heard of that custom, either way. To hell with dumped drinks...

This was my second thought. Who orders a drink, then immediately walks to the smoking patio with the intention of returning to a full drink dumped?
AggieRain
AG
Sounds like someone owes you a drink...
vacating FL410
I gave up smoking when I became a Christian. Problem solved. I was 9.
diehard03
I've always heard it means you are coming back. Never heard it means the opposite.
kurt vonnegut
AG
aggiesuite said:

I gave up smoking when I became a Christian. Problem solved. I was 9.

You were nine when you gave up smoking?
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Kick his ass, Seabass!!
kurt vonnegut
AG
http://napkinonapint.blogspot.com/2008/05/what-does-napkin-on-pint-glass-mean.html?m=1

Seems you aren't the only one who has come across this interpretation in PA.

Also, hilarious that there is a website called napkinonapint.blogspot.com
gordo97
AG
At least now you know for next time
Beer Baron
AG
I don't think "G&A" is really appropriate anymore. Despite all the warnings we had of the calamities that would ensue when gay marriage became a thing, somehow threads relating to The Gays have dropped off quite a bit in the past year and a half. I don't really have much of a reason to post here these days.
PacifistAg
AG
That makes me wonder... where has seamaster been? Haven't seen him around here for a while.
Woody2006
AG
I think it's probably best practice to alert your waiter or the bartender that you are going outside for a smoke.

I'd be pissed if that happened to me, but I think it's as likely someone could misconstrue a napkin on a drink as being done with the drink as it is they know you mean you're coming back.
Pro Sandy
AG
Damn Yankees didn't learn when Robert Lee went up their to kick some dude's ass in Gettysburg for pour out his beer.

This means war.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Just goes to show you that Pennsylvania is a stupid, silly place. Dumbest liquor laws of any state in the union.
Aggrad08
AG
Utah says hi
7thGenTexan
AG
Massachusetts has some nanny rules. Was in Back Bay last month, ordered a Jack rocks double. Found out they aren't allowed to pour doubles. Southie is full of yuppies and double shots of whiskey are banned. What has happened to Boston?
Sapper Redux
Marco Esquandolas said:

Just goes to show you that Pennsylvania is a stupid, silly place. Dumbest liquor laws of any state in the union.

Oh, I could argue that. I lived in NC when you still had to become a "member" of a bar just to be able to drink there.
swimmerbabe11
Napkin on a pint is wierd. Its supposed to be coaster. Best to give the bartender a nod to let them know where you are going.

If the bar is especially crowded and you are especially paranoid about losing your seat, you can also tilt it to the bar, but I usually find that a bit rude as it is hard on the legs and its not your chair to scuff.
Star Wars Memes Only
7thGenTexan said:

Massachusetts has some nanny rules. Was in Back Bay last month, ordered a Jack rocks double. Found out they aren't allowed to pour doubles. Southie is full of yuppies and double shots of whiskey are banned. What has happened to Boston?

And there's the "back in my day . . ." we all expected.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.