The thief on the cross next to Jesus ...

2,429 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ernest Tucker
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And yet Stephen looked up, saw the "heavens part", and saw Jesus sitting at God's right hand. This happened some time after Jesus' ascension. So you think Jesus was just up there floating the whole time? I think the clear implication is that Jesus went to a different plane of existence, and Stephen was able to see this at the moment just prior to his death.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
94chem
Abraham's Bosom, as the original respondent noted.

The one place he did NOT go was to actual hell for 3 days of suffering, as some believe. This is actually a pretty substantial heresy, because it nullifies the significance of the cross, and the eternal separation of Son from Father experienced there. As k2 alludes, everything that Jesus experiences, he does so eternally, because he created time itself. If we do not grasp that the suffering on the cross was eternal, then its payment can not be eternal either. If we need to place Jesus in hell for more torment, why would 3 days be enough? Answer: it couldn't be. My sin is bigger than 3 hours or 3 days; Jesus' Atonement needed to be bigger too. A perfect sacrifice offered once, but eternally experienced and eternally efficacious.
Zobel
AG
Hey hey don't include me in this.

I am not sure I'm comfortable with the theology of eternal suffering. The crucifixion happened to the God-man Jesus, not to God. The Father did not die on the cross (this is the heresy of modalism / Sabellianism). Jesus did die, He did resurrect, He did ascend. These happened in time, but once for fall. He trampled down death by death, and He did harrow hades.

St Maximos says Christ suffered in a divine way and did miracles in a human way to emphasize that He was fully man and fully God.
Kugelfang52
Possibility that "today" isn't a literal "today."
Ernest Tucker
AG
XUSCR said:

The Gospel reading at Mass today for the feast of Christ the King was the story of the thief asking Jesus to remember him when he comes into his kingdom, to which Jesus replies that the sorrowful and plaintiff thief would be with him in Paradise today.

Question - did Jesus go to heaven immediately upon his death? How does this jibe with the Nicene and Apostles' Creeds stating that he descended to the dead and then rose from the dead three days later and ascended to heaven much later?

Sincere questions, not rhetorical.

Thanks in advance.

The benifit of being 1 God in 3 persons.

Jesus (God) descends to the bosom of Abraham for three days. The thief joins God (The Father) that same day in heaven.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.