Curtis Martin- NFL - Draw your strength from the Lord

17,038 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Buford T. Justice
booboo91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you have 30 minutes- recommend you watch Hall of Fame speech by Curtis Martin- Shows many obstacles in his life, his grit,God's grace and loving hands. Listed below is a brief summary: Curtis Martin Hall of Fame Speech

Background: Curtis James Martin, Jr. (born May 1, 1973) is a former American football running back who played in the National Football League (NFL) for the New England Patriots and Jets over the span of 10 years. He retired having amassed the fourth highest total of rushing yards in NFL history. He was selected as a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2012.

Martin played for the Pitt Panthers in college "by default" because it was right down the street. In his speech while being elected to the NFL Hall Of Fame, he poured out his soul about his childhood and beyond. He told of his father's abuse of his mother, of the murder of his grandmother and aunt, the rough (one of the worst in Pittsburgh) neighborhood in which he lived and the love of his mother to guide him. Many times as an elementary school kid, he walked home with a key around his neck and sat scared and alone in his home for hours while his mom worked two jobs to make ends meet. One time when he was 15, a guy held a gun to his head and pulled the trigger 7 times but it didn't fire. He pointed the gun away from Curtis and it fired. He stated that "I was too young to realize that God was saving my life".

Throughout his life he never thought he would live to be 21. When he was 20 and a junior at Pitt he went to the nearest church to "tell this guy, God, thank you because I know I'm not as fast as a speeding bullet and I'm not Superman but somehow I seem to have more than 9 lives. It was one of the most surreal moments of my life. I remember sitting in the balcony when the preacher finished preaching the sermon and everyone was leaving. I just sat there and looked up at the ceiling and said "(paraphrase) I don't know much about you or this Jesus that everybody talks about but I'll make a deal with you. I hear about people making deals with the devil but I don't want to do that. I want to make a deal with you. If you let me live past 21 I promise I'll try to do my best to live right and do whatever you want me to do." I'm standing here 39 years old. He has held up his end of the bargain now I want to live up to my end." When you hear him Curtis Martin speaking of forgiveness and peace..you know he walks the walkAt the end of his speech he stated a couple of profound things

"It's not necessarily what you achieve in life that matters most but who you become in the process of achieving those things."

"At my eulogy I don't want my daughter to talk about how many yards I gained or the touchdowns I scored, I want her to talk about remembering the Curtis Martin as she was growing up as a man of integrity, a man of strong character and a God-fearing man. Then, at the end of the day, maybe say the he was a pretty good football player too."

Insurmountable odds- Winners never quit- they just get their strength from the Right Source.
booboo91
After watching video take aways:

1) Reminds me not to judge- don't know where folks come from. I compare my stable loving family background compared to his. Also it is not how you start but how you finish.

2) How God sends people into our lives (at key moments) to push us in the right direction.

3) Reminds me again, where we get our power from. And it is not Me- Myself- & I. Proper priorities
A New Hope
"It's not necessarily what you achieve in life that matters most but who you become in the process of achieving those things."
A New Hope
I re-watch this every few years. Helps keep me grounded. Ought to be mandatory for kids in high school.
98Ag99Grad
AG
The Foitball Life episode of his on NFL Network is probably the best one I've ever watched. Try and find it if you can.
A New Hope
98Ag99Grad said:

The Foitball Life episode of his on NFL Network is probably the best one I've ever watched. Try and find it if you can.
Watched this today. Thank you for the recommendation. It was awe inspiring.
A New Hope
Just finished watching this again. Always brings me to tears. What a wonderful story and message.

Buford T. Justice
AG
Thanks OP. Great story!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.