Trump's campaign promise to move the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem?

7,064 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Martin Q. Blank
Rusty Aha
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious if anyone else finds this interesting?
Pro Sandy
AG
It will upset the Arabs, but what else is new
PacifistAg
AG
From my understanding, such a move would violate various UN and Security Council resolutions that the US has signed. It would also be an extremely provocative act that would signify that the Trump administration has absolutely zero desire to even pay lip service to peace in this conflict.
PacifistAg
AG
Pro Sandy said:

It will upset the Arabs, but what else is new
Also will likely upset the many Palestinian Christians that live there as well.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
dick move
Rusty Aha
AG
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/220289

The Sanhedrin is reaching out to Trump to build the Third Temple?
PacifistAg
AG
TampaBayAg said:

INN is a hardline Zionist publication and major proponent of the establishment of illegal settlements. I'd be wary of what they print, as they have a clear agenda. Not that this Sanhedrin organization hasn't called for this, but I don't think Trump is even this stupid to start a massive war centered on Jerusalem.
Rusty Aha
AG
RetiredAg said:

TampaBayAg said:

INN is a hardline Zionist publication and major proponent of the establishment of illegal settlements. I'd be wary of what they print, as they have a clear agenda. Not that this Sanhedrin organization hasn't called for this, but I don't think Trump is even this stupid to start a massive war centered on Jerusalem.
I absolutely agree with you on their definite partisanship, but just extremely interesting times from a eschatological perspective. As we watch the North bordering Syria continue in chaos, the resurgence of the Bear, hundreds of millions of Muslims awaiting the arrival of the 12th Imam, many Orthodox Jew anticipating their perceived first arrival of the Messiah, and prospective rumblings of the Sanhedrin reaching out to a US President-Elect to build the third Temple (coupled with his claims of relocating the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem)...makes you wonder if Trump is crazy enough to inadvertently start the prophesied Ezekiel 38 War.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

makes you wonder if Trump is crazy enough to
My gut instinct says the answer to this is always "yes".
commando2004
AG
TampaBayAg said:

"The Sanhedrin" is a fringe group whose authority is not recognized by the Israeli government or the majority of Torah scholars.
Rusty Aha
AG
commando2004 said:

TampaBayAg said:

"The Sanhedrin" is a fringe group whose authority is not recognized by the Israeli government or the majority of Torah scholars.
True. I realize the The Nascent Sanhedrin hold no authority in government nor ecclesiastical matters, but their workings with the Temple Restoration Project fascinate me a good deal.
UTExan
Just. Do. It.
94chem
Have to go read my Nat Geo to see why Herod's temple wasn't considered the 3rd one.
commando2004
AG
94chem said:

Have to go read my Nat Geo to see why Herod's temple wasn't considered the 3rd one.
It's a Ship of Theseus issue. The "Second Temple" remained in continuous operation throughout Herod's renovation.
7thGenTexan
AG
Meh, this has been a talking point for 30 years. It's more practical to have it in Tel Aviv but nobody would care about it being in Jerusalem. There's already a large American consulate there.

What retired is thinking of is East Jerusalem.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

but nobody would care about it being in Jerusalem.
Except for the fact that the Palestinians have already stated that they would care.

This is an unnecessarily provocative move. Given that it looks like he's going to name Huckabee as ambassador to Israel, a man that said that there is no such thing as a Palestinian, I don't think the upcoming administration will care to even pay lip service to peace in that region.
7thGenTexan
AG
Recognizing Jerusalem as the "undivided capital" is the real issue here. Jerusalem is not ever going to be under UN control, though. That's a fantasy. What the Palestinians really want is East Jerusalem. That's not ever going to happen either.

Kugelfang52
This would be quite a stupid move. Probably something he wants to do.
wbt5845
AG
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Except for the fact that the Palestinians have already stated that they would care.
I can't imagine why the "Palestinians" would care about where the US embassy to Israel is located. The U.S. don't care where Germany's embassy to Mexico is located. Why would the "Palestinians" care where two other countries locate embassies?
schmendeler
AG
wbt5845 said:

RetiredAg said:

Quote:

I can't imagine why the "Palestinians" would care about where the US embassy to Israel is located. The U.S. don't care where Germany's embassy to Mexico is located. Why would the "Palestinians" care where two other countries locate embassies?

You don't have to imagine. It's in the link contained in the post you quoted.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
wbt5845 said:

RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Palestinians are actual people that exist in the world and have been recognized as such since at least the Roman Empire. Your scare quotes are ridiculous.
commando2004
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

Palestinians are actual people that exist in the world and have been recognized as such since at least the Roman Empire. Your scare quotes are ridiculous.
Most of the people identifying as "Palestinians" today are not descendants of the people who lived there during the time of the Roman Empire, but are fairly recent migrants from other Muslim countries. Quit being obtuse.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
commando2004 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

Most of the people identifying as "Palestinians" today are not descendants of the people who lived there during the time of the Roman Empire, but are fairly recent migrants from other Muslim countries. Quit being obtuse.

Am I being "obtuse" if I point out that the State of Palestine is officially recognized by most of the countries on earth?

Also, do you have any sources to support your assertion?
schmendeler
AG
commando2004 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

Speaking of fairly recent migrants, aren't we talking about Israel?
Marco Esquandolas
AG
schmendeler said:

commando2004 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

Speaking of fairly recent migrants, aren't we talking about Israel?

It's often necessary to point out the obvious around here.
canadiaggie
AG
commando2004 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

Most of the people identifying as "Americans" today are not descendants of the people who lived there during the time of the Roman Empire, but are fairly recent migrants from other European countries. Quit being obtuse.
Build It
AG
My Catholic Palestinian friend from Jerusalem would not mind at all If our embassy was in his home town. For no other reason we might provide some jobs. The apartheid practiced there causes much strife in the community. His mother has to walk past her fathers house everyday that was confiscated by the Jews and another family moved in. His family lived in that house for 5 generations. He lives in Texas now and supports his family in Jerusalem. There are no jobs available to palestinian christians in Israel.
Rusty Aha
AG
http://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-again-waives-moving-us-embassy-to-jerusalem/

Quote:

President Barack Obama on Thursday renewed a presidential waiver, again delaying plans to relocate the American Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem for another six months.

Ol' Soetoro renews the waiver for another six months.
PacifistAg
AG
TampaBayAg said:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-again-waives-moving-us-embassy-to-jerusalem/

Quote:

President Barack Obama on Thursday renewed a presidential waiver, again delaying plans to relocate the American Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem for another six months.

Ol' Soetoro renews the waiver for another six months.
schmendeler
AG
you just know that hagee is randy right now.
Martin Q. Blank
flagged because that thing is giving me a migraine.

Also, why is this a big deal?
PacifistAg
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

flagged because that thing is giving me a migraine.

Also, why is this a big deal?

Because Jerusalem is key to Palestinians who see East Jerusalem as a future capital. The US officially recognizing the whole city of Jerusalem as belonging to the Israelis will upset the entire Arab world.
Martin Q. Blank
The U.S. (and anybody else) doesn't already recognize Jerusalem is the capital of Israel?
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

The U.S. (and anybody else) doesn't already recognize Jerusalem is the capital of Israel?

Not really. Nations don't officially recognize it with the acknowledgment that the final status of the city will need to be worked out in a peace deal. Moving the embassy there when the Israelis call the city their eternal and undivided capital sort of crushes the peace process.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.