Texas A&M in pop culture

28,970 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Capitol Ag
Thread Sinker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A&M IN POP CULTURE:

The above is what we have so far, as of the following date:

[This message has been edited by blueag09 (edited 10/1/2007 8:52p).]
MonkeyKnifeFighter
MonkeyKnifeFighter
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Don't forge the cartoon that was in playboy in 2004 (I think) that featured Texas S&M University.

On the Simpsons when the power plant is outsourced to India, Apu's cousin runs a call center and while talking about a Cotton Bowl special, he says "Go Aggies!"
HOLDEN, M. D.
We were in Space Cowboys.

FYI there is a really great thread about this topic. Only problem is it is about 2-3 years old so you will need some fancy stars to search for it. It had hundreds of posts and probably included every A&M pop reference of all time.
DJAG07
AG
I don't like The Ramones or know anything about them (outside of Blitzkrieg Bop)... but my brother loves them and on the cover of the album Rocket to Russia one of them is wearing a Texas Aggies shirt with Ol' Sarge on it:

Thread Sinker
These are all excellent references, though some are questionable. Keep 'em coming!
SPO_Rat_91
That's funny about the Ramones, didn't know about the shirt, during my time at A&M they played a live venue that is now defunct called 'East Gate Live' on more than one occasion, the guy might have bought that shirt at Loupots when he was in CS. East Gate Live was located across the street from where Hornbeck's is.
LeannaAg
oops...already mentioned

[This message has been edited by LeannaAg (edited 4/8/2007 9:05a).]
West Point Aggie
AG
Several references in Brokeback Mountain for those of you that saw it...
texasaggie04
AG
I'm going to butcher this reference. But on Letterman, the guy at the shop nearby (don't know his name, sorry) was wearing an Aggies shirt that somebody sent him and Dave asked about it.
Trajan88
AG
There was a reference in "Texas Justice" (a made-for-tv flick) along the line that T. Cullen Davis' daddy could have sent his sons to any university in America (or world), but he made them go to Texas A&M...

Burger
AG
turtleeater
the Bob Newhart show mentions the Texas Texas A&M football game on its thanksgiving show. It aired originally in the 1970,s.
javick82
AG
Don't forget the mentions in Back to The Future...
Don Dada
The A&M t-shirt worn in the Sublime "What I Got" video
Thread Sinker
more?
Silvertaps
AG
quote:
Don't forget the mentions in Back to The Future...

I believe that was in the 2nd one when Biff is confirming whether his "sport book" is real or not. He's listening to sport radio and comparing the football scores to what the book says and there is a mention A&M beat Rice...and the score.
MW03
AG
wasn't it the Fish Drill Team at the into of a Few Good Men??
ro828
In WHAT'S UP, DOC? Barbra Streisand's character had gone to veterinary school at A&M but didn't graduate.
Trajan88
AG
Re: East Gate Live

Excellent venue... saw Eric Johnson there many moons ago (circa '87).

Trajan88
TAMU '88
Law Hall (may it R.I.P.) Ramp 9 Mule
fup!
Beer Baron
AG
A few years back Conan had a running joke for awhile about the show having a pick in the NBA draft (or maybe they just adopted him or something). Either way, the guy was from A&M, and I think they had him doing general office tasks for them. I don't remember too much about it - I think I was still in high school but knew I was going to A&M so it got my attention.
Jeff99
Speaking of Conan, "Triumph the Insult Comic Dog"'s sexually confused son mentions wanting to attend Texas A&M during a Christmas special. This was around the time when Landover Baptist was calling A&M a "f@g school."
PermianBasinAggie
AG
The episode of King of the Hill where he takes his mom and 3 of her friends to Port Aransas over spring break, and all the college kids show up. Two kids walk into a bar where Hank is drinking...one has an A&M shirt and one a tu shirt. I'm sure there's other King of the Hill A&M references, but that's the only one I could think of.
chick79
AG
The kid in Sidekicks with Chuck Norris wore an A&M sweatshirt:

old-Rudyjax
quote:
wasn't it the Fish Drill Team at the into of a Few Good Men??

Close, it was the AFFDT... it was flimed in early fall, and the fish drill team sucked. It was all former fish drill team members.
Cancelled
AG
Sidekicks should have its own forum. That is the best worst movie of all time.

The Onion (satirical newspaper) ran a story and I can't remember the exact headline, but something like that Christ Returns to the NBA (playing on Michael Jordan's return and Christ's second coming). It had an infographic of Christ's basketball highlights and one of them was that he played for TAMU when they won the national championship in the 1980's (of course this was made up). It also had a great picture of Jesus doing a massive dunk. Sacriligious for sure, but a A&M pop culture reference.
c-jags
Two words:

Kim Hiott

lots of nekkidity w/ A&M gear. and she was confused for Tiger's wife if i remember correctly.
chick79
AG
Also, the guy who played Ted Baxter (spinoff series from the Mary Tyler Moore Show) wore an A&M sweatshirt in one of his shows. Can't remember the name of the series, but he had two daughters and it took place in San Francisco.......
Big Cat `93
AG
"Too Close For Comfort," featuring the comedic talents of Jm J. Bullock.
The Shank Ag
space cowboys. Tommy Lee Jones' character mentions messing with an A&M Tight Ends girlfriend
NITESIDE
I think the first Moon landing (well known fake) was shot(secretly) entirely at Junction. Does that count?
Ol Jock 99
AG
The Corps made up a huge number of the extras in Courage Under Fire (military base scenes). Filmed in either fall 95 or spring of 96 (aka my fish year). I couldn't go, but a bunch of others did.
5thGenAg
opening scene of The Last Boyscout has the holiday bowl highlights of us ripping apart byu
chick79
AG
Another one... in Stephen King's "The Stand" (the book not the movie), one of the characters (Stu?), played football at Texas A&M....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.