Texas A&M in pop culture

29,131 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Capitol Ag
Humorous Username
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
^
|
|

While I would like to believe that, couldn't it also be considered a nod to Arkansas (The "Snortin' Swine" of Springfield A&M) and Alabama (The "Nittany Tide" of Springfield U.)?

If anyone has the episode on DVD, did they mention anything on the commentary?
rhoswen
AG
Over There = great show, sorry it got cancelled.

I think Rachael Ray did a $40/Day show in College Station, but I could be wrong. I think a diner in wellborn got recognized on Food Network, but I don't remember what show.

And the scene in Man of the House with the Hex Rally is hilarious... the wind keeps blowing out their candles, and Tommy Lee Jones' character's speech to the tsips (I think, it's been awhile since I've seen it) mentions "a burning desire to beat the Aggies."
Hey Nav
AG
In Lone Star (great movie, I do believe) when Chris Cooper goes to visit his ex-wife, played by Frances McDormand, she has an A&M vs SMU (maybe) game on the tube. Of course, her TV room is filled with Cowboys, Oilers (they used to be an NFL team in Houston), hook 'em horns posters, and Aggie decor.
Ag2Max
AG
The diner show was a show called "Diners, Driveins, and Dives" and aired on 4/30
Thread Sinker
wheel of fortune??
Pacifico
AG
http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=897857&forum_id=6
aggiechick
This isn't in a movie or t.v. show, but I thought it was weird.

I was in the nail salon the other day and picked up a People magazine (the one with skinny Janet Jackson on the cover) Inside, there was a small picture of Anne Heche with her husband and she was wearing a pink A&M hat. I had to do a double take. I don't think we want our school associated with that crazy chick.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Some Aggie was on Dog the Bounty Hunter and is their nephew or something. He was wearing a bonfire t-shirt.
Thread Sinker
ttt, for people who can think of other references besides the ones mentioned
BigAG98
AG
I've got one...

Varity Blues- The black guy who was the running back says "You think they would send video to Texas Tech or A&M for me"

imoscardotcom
I can confirm the Sidekicks A&M reference. Chuck Norris sure loves A&M.
Old Jock 1997
AG
In Season 2 of Prison Break, there was a ship in the Chicago harbor that had some reference to A&M on it, though I can't remember exactly what. I posted it here then, and I think someone said it was either a TAMU or TAMU-G ship used for filming.
MLK_87
Anybody remember Guich Koock? He played a sheriff in some late-70s sitcom and had a ton of guest roles in "Alice" and Laverne & Shirley" and "Walker Texas Ranger." He's an Aggie. But better than the acting is:

quote:
A sixth generation Texan, born and raised on a Texas ranch outside of Austin, Texas, Guich Koock (his stage name) attended Texas A&M University, where he earned a BA in English and worked on an MA in Texas folklore by collecting stories from children of slaves. After school he worked at various jobs including some small acting parts, school Headmaster, and restaurant manager. Koock later bought the town of Luckenbach, Texas, along with his friend Russell "Hondo" Crouch, and organized the great Luchenbach World's Fair and the luckenbach women's chili cookoff. It was while that Koock was spotted by casting director, Sherry Rhodes, who cast him in young director Steven Spielberg's first movie "The Sugarland Express." Koock has made a career of playing good ole boys in many films and TV shows, perfecting it in the 1980s sitcom "Carter Country." He's still remained true to his Texas roots. After selling Luckenbach, Koock supported his acting career through a restaurant he bought and operated in Fredericksburg, Texas. Koock continues to enjoy acting, but has never thought of it as real work.

He and Hondo owned Luckenbach together.
caboyag
It's been a few years back, but when the show "The Weakest Link" was becoming popular they had an A&M Yell Leader on the show. I remember the host lady giving him a hard time and he didn't think it was very funny.
tske87
One of the Italian football characters from Grisham's novel,Playing for Pizza, played at Texas A&M.
agthatsagirl
Don't judge me for my choice of television but the Olsen twins had this show for awhile on ABC family and they were trying to decide where they would go for college and one of em looked over the shoulder of another student looking at a course catalog or something and said "Texas A&M? Oh well that's a good school."

I swear that is what started the rumor about them coming here.

The other preteen show reference was Even Stevens, his brother was really good at football and the head coach for "Texas State" (before SWT became that) came to visit him and looked and acted and talked exactly like R.C. Slocum.
aggieann
AG
I'm showing my age, but I remember being really excited as a youngster that Chuck, the older brother in Happy Days who was written out after the first episode or two, had a Texas A&M pennant in his room.
ctag94
I think it was northern exposure - Janine Turner often wore an Texas Aggies sweater.
AG @ HEART
The movie Jack Ryan : shadow recruit has a reference to and aggie player. In the beginning of the movie while in a helo flying in the afghan mountains Ryan ask his buddy to name a great pro player and he says Richmond Webb and names his stats.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Texas A&M has permeated popular culture since the start of the 2012 season.
Raj95
AG
Smash from Friday Night Lights tv show walks on at Texas A&M after blowing out his knee.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Don't judge me for my choice of television but the Olsen twins had this show for awhile on ABC family and they were trying to decide where they would go for college and one of em looked over the shoulder of another student looking at a course catalog or something and said "Texas A&M? Oh well that's a good school."

I swear that is what started the rumor about them coming here.

The other preteen show reference was Even Stevens, his brother was really good at football and the head coach for "Texas State" (before SWT became that) came to visit him and looked and acted and talked exactly like R.C. Slocum.

Did he keep running a draw on third and long?
PetroAg87
AG
quote:
I can't believe that it hasn't already been mentioned, but on Futurama the dorm in the episode where Fry goes to Mars University is based upon (and looks a helluvalot like) Davis-Gary.
Background animator for Futurama graduated from A&M and lived in DG from '85 until they kicked everyone out.

Jock92
AG
1974 film 'The Gambler' starring James Caan and Lauren Hutton. Around 38:33 there's a Texas A&M pennant prominently displayed on the wall of Hutton's apartment.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
In "Hell or High Water" there's a quick mention about wanting to play football at Texas A&M
Post removed:
by user
Capitol Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Texas A&M has permeated popular culture since the start of the 2012 season.
Ya, pretty much after Johnny, A&M went from occasional pop culture mention to household name.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.