*** Top Gun 3 ***

9,921 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by The Porkchop Express
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oh heck yes!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I thought OG Top Gun was overrated. It was ok but didn't do much for me personally. I LOVED Maverick though
BG Knocc Out
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I thought OG Top Gun was overrated. It was ok but didn't do much for me personally. I LOVED Maverick though
I love the movie, but TBF, I think that is largely a result of just always having watched it with my dad on Saturdays as a young 80's kid. If I didn't have this nostalgic, emotional tie to the movie, and saw it as a teenager or adult for the first time, I think I would likely find it very cheesy. Along that note, I admittedly got chills and choked up a little bit sitting next to my dad in the theater as a 40 y/o man when the familiar intro and theme music for Maverick came on...I hid it of course.

The TV show Air Wolf was another...it's probably laughably bad, but i felt like a big kid watching it with pops when I was little.
The Porkchop Express
AG
taxpreparer said:

I like Apachi's plot better than any of yours.
At least it doesn't take me 2 edits to write one ****ing sentence.
Carlo4
AG
As long as they bring back Bill Pullmans son. Best father son fighter pilot duo in movie history.
TCTTS
AG
Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

DallasTeleAg said:

I just don't see how this can touch the other two. The first one is a classic, and Maverick was able to play that role of giving us those tastes of nostalgia throughout, while also giving us a great story and great action. Trying to accomplish that same thing seems like it will make TG:Maverick not as special.

It doesn't need to be as special. A solid jet fighter blockbuster with real flying / practical effects and Tom Cruise starring/producing will still make a billion and be better than 90% of all other blockbusters.
I hear you and I will see this for certain and frankly I think Maverick is about the best thing Hollywood has put out since basically ever.

But..............it's borderline cringe I guess to try to pull it off again. I just can't see Maverick sitting on the sidelines and not in the cockpit. That said, he was a captain in Maverick some 35 years after the events of Top Gun. That is just not how the military works. Cruise is now in his 60's. It's one thing if it's Indiana Jones, there is no age or promotion requirements for archaeologist/Nazi fighters but there certainly are for military personnel. That and one of the driving points of Maverick, whether his military career or personal life, was that this was it it. It's done. The Navy gig is officially over and he's settling down with Penny. And they pulled that off so perfectly.

I know it's a movie and we have to suspend our disbelief at times but I keep thinking about my wife's cousin, who was a USMC pilot (and quite accomplished) and also a Colonel. And they "retired" him at 45 years old because they just couldn't slot him as a General. He was like "man, I would have just kept flying but they said no". LOL.

My guess is Rooster and Hangman are front and center this go around. Glenn Powell, in particular, is blowing up, and there's no way he comes back as fifth banana. He originally auditioned for Rooster, obviously didn't get it, but they liked him so much that they expanded the role of Hangman just for him, and he still turned them down. It wasn't until Cruise convinced him to take the role that he finally accepted. I think Cruise sees a bit of himself in Powell, it sounds like they share a connection, and I bet a good chunk of the movie is built around him, with Teller right alongside.

As for Cruise and the believability of a 60-year-old Navy pilot, I'm confident they'll come up with a creative solution to get him back in the cockpit for at least one, final flight sequence. I don't think he'll be an active instructor or anything, but I feel like there has to be a fine-but-walkable line between full-on Navy gig and completely sidelined. As crazy as it might sound, maybe there's some kind of last-ditch, off-the-books mission where the U.S. can't intervene for some reason, but Cruise convinces the powers-that-be to look the other way as he heads up a covert operation. Kind of like when Batman goes to Hong Kong in The Dark Knight to "extradite" Lau because Gotham PD can't. I know one of the older TG:M drafts had Rooster getting captured behind enemy lines, and the final mission was to rescue him. So maybe they bring that back in some or fashion?
Urban Ag
AG
Random thought after reading that.

Teller and Powell should do an 80's/90's cop buddy movie. They'd be perfect. Teller is the more cautious one, wife and a kid or two at home. Powell is the smartass, rich kid, cop with a new hottie every week, but eventually wins you over.

Not bad huh?
TCTTS
AG
I'd watch the hell out of that.
Urban Ag
AG
I had not seen Top Guns since probably the mid 90's but always had a very nostalgic memory of it. Watched it during Covid in 2020 with my sons. It was much more hamfisted that I remembered. My kids eye rolled me a few times.

Honestly think Maverick is a better movie. Probably close to a perfect movie.
Aggie87
AG
Claude! said:

I think they should go full-on sports movie and make it all about dogfight football. No flying.

How about Quidditch in jets?
nosoupforyou
AG
Rambo and Rocky have this formula down well - it's not hard to figure out a way
UnderoosAg
AG
Maverick is retired and operating his own airline and air logistics company, but his planes full of rubber dog 5hit keep getting hijacked in and out of Hong Kong. In come Rooster and Hangman to battle the Warlords.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Maverick pushes the envelope on one last test run and goes Mach 25 but the plane is hit by lightning. He returns to Earth with new powers and decides to rid the world of evil and injustice.

TCTTS
AG
Honestly, I like the first part of this. Him owning some kind of air logistics company - something plane related but outside the military - is a great place to start from. I know an earlier draft of TG:M had him as a helicopter pilot (as opposed to a test pilot), either owning or working for some random company, then he of course gets called into action, so they've toyed with this basic idea before.

But going back to what I mentioned earlier, re: some kind of covert, off-the-books mission, maybe Mav's company has a key air route or whatever, and his planes are the perfect disguise. Something along those lines.

Remember, Cruise's big thing in the Mission: Impossible movies, and in the final act of TG:M, isn't always having the latest/greatest tech. It's when the tech goes wrong, and he has to wing it (no pun intended) with some hare-brained scheme, that he excels, and what we truly love watching him do. So him having to fly, like, a big cargo aircraft or something, to pull of an "impossible" mission, would be totally on-brand.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Given that Maverick was just a remake of the Death Star Run from Star Wars.

Hear me out.

Thanks and gig'em
Mayor West
AG
Urban Ag said:

Teller and Powell should do an 80's/90's cop buddy movie. They'd be perfect. Teller is the more cautious one, wife and a kid or two at home. Powell is the smartass, rich kid, cop with a new hottie every week, but eventually wins you over.

Not bad huh?

BG Knocc Out
Mayor West said:

Urban Ag said:

Not bad huh?

jokershady
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Hear me out.

They have to fly through a tunnel towards the center of the Earth to reset the Earths core
The Porkchop Express
AG
jokershady said:

Aggie_Journalist said:

Hear me out.

They have to fly through a tunnel towards the center of the Earth to reset the Earths core
Dean Devlin and Ronald Emmerich have been writing that movie since 1996!
PatAg
AG
Mike Elko said:

Glen Powell, aka Matthew McConaughey wannabe, just tries way too hard to emulate his hero in everything he does.

Psyched otherwise.

Lol what
TCTTS
AG
That was a head-scratcher for me as well. Other than them both being from Texas (and the University of), I really don't see many similarities at all.
ArmyAg2002
AG
I think TOPGUN needs to move on to Rooster. Maverick needs to be a secondary character.

I want a TOPGUN prequel about Mav's dad.
taxpreparer
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

taxpreparer said:

I like Apachi's plot better than any of yours.
At least it doesn't take me 2 edits to write one ****ing sentence.

It will when you are old and senile, like me.
Decay
AG
There's no clever way to make Top Gun and 3 to combine to make one tidy name. 3op Gun. Top Gun: Roost3r. Topper Gunnest the Third.
BassCowboy33
The Porkchop Express said:

OK, I'm going all in on potential plot ideas. One of them has to be what it will be.

• The bad guys from Maverick were able to get some of his DNA and have cloned their own copy of him, code-named Mitch Patel. Maverick now has to outfly a 25-year-old version of himself.
  • Maverick finds out he knocked Kelly McGillis up 40 years ago and he has a son he's never met, to be played by Dave Franco. Dave is an anti-war nut job who hates everything Mav stands for. Now the two have to take a road trip together to save Christmas.
  • Terrorists somehow implant a chip in Mav's brain and take control of him. Glen Powell and Miles Teller have to stop him, but can they shoot to kill the man who they knew for 6 weeks a few years ago?
  • When aliens attack the Earth, Maverick is unfrozen from deep storage by Generals Powell and Teller to help the US Space Force fight back.
  • After getting embarrassed by Maverick at the beginning of the last movie, General Ed Harris takes 100 people hostage on Alcatraz, and Maverick, Nic Cage, and a CGI Sean Connery have to re-take the island.

• Through a series of unlikely events and a rip-off of Tom Clancy, Maverick winds up as President of the United States, only to learn that you can't buzz the tower if you want to balance the budget.
  • Top Gun 3: The Search for Iceman's Gold - no explanation required
  • All of the sustained trauma from the last few weeks of Maverick put Pete in a full body cast, months of rehab, and psychological counseling. When he gets back to Top Gun, Glenn Powell has absolutely slid into Jennifer Connelly's DMs and she's upgraded to the newer model. Now Mav has to rekindle that spark of love while also learning how to walk again and getting in touch with the real Maverick in counseling.
  • It's 25 years in the future and Rooster is now denying his own son, Turkey (Pete Davidson) from entering the Navy. But when Grandpa Mav, now 83 but still a test pilot, shows up unexpectedly for Thanksgiving, hilarity ensues.
  • When a giant rupture or something appears at the bottom of the Marianas Trench, Tom Cruise is enlisted to pilot the first JAEGER by Charles Minor from Dunder Mifflin.
  • When a Megaladon surfaces off the coast of San Diego, Tom Cruise has to train on the first underwater F-18 to take it down.
  • A chance encounter reunites Maverick with Merlin (Tim Robbins) and when the two get locked in a cockpit for 13 hours, old passions reignite and the glass fogs up.
  • An HR glitch is discovered, and the Navy realizes Maverick should have been forced into retirement 29 years earlier. Now they're coming for his security clearance, his pension, and his dignity.
  • When Maverick Met Goose: Prequel with de-aged Tom Cruise and Anthony Edwards getting into all sorts of hijinks, trying to get laid before graduation and irritating the hell out of their commanding officer, Mr. Strickland from Back to the Future.

Top 10 post in TexAgs history. I'm crying over here.
Cyprian
Gigem314
AG
Top Gun Maverick had the perfect story arc. I enjoyed it more than the first one. That's going to be tough to replicate, but I'm definitely in if Cruise is willing to a 3rd one.
aTmAg
AG
I fear this is a rebound attempt after the latest MI flop. The last time it took decades for Cruise to agree to a script that was good enough. Now it's taking a year?

Be careful... don't ruin this series, Tom.
LeonardSkinner
TCTTS said:

Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

DallasTeleAg said:

I just don't see how this can touch the other two. The first one is a classic, and Maverick was able to play that role of giving us those tastes of nostalgia throughout, while also giving us a great story and great action. Trying to accomplish that same thing seems like it will make TG:Maverick not as special.

It doesn't need to be as special. A solid jet fighter blockbuster with real flying / practical effects and Tom Cruise starring/producing will still make a billion and be better than 90% of all other blockbusters.
I hear you and I will see this for certain and frankly I think Maverick is about the best thing Hollywood has put out since basically ever.

But..............it's borderline cringe I guess to try to pull it off again. I just can't see Maverick sitting on the sidelines and not in the cockpit. That said, he was a captain in Maverick some 35 years after the events of Top Gun. That is just not how the military works. Cruise is now in his 60's. It's one thing if it's Indiana Jones, there is no age or promotion requirements for archaeologist/Nazi fighters but there certainly are for military personnel. That and one of the driving points of Maverick, whether his military career or personal life, was that this was it it. It's done. The Navy gig is officially over and he's settling down with Penny. And they pulled that off so perfectly.

I know it's a movie and we have to suspend our disbelief at times but I keep thinking about my wife's cousin, who was a USMC pilot (and quite accomplished) and also a Colonel. And they "retired" him at 45 years old because they just couldn't slot him as a General. He was like "man, I would have just kept flying but they said no". LOL.

My guess is Rooster and Hangman are front and center this go around. Glenn Powell, in particular, is blowing up, and there's no way he comes back as fifth banana. He originally auditioned for Rooster, obviously didn't get it, but they liked him so much that they expanded the role of Hangman just for him, and he still turned them down. It wasn't until Cruise convinced him to take the role that he finally accepted. I think Cruise sees a bit of himself in Powell, it sounds like they share a connection, and I bet a good chunk of the movie is built around him, with Teller right alongside.

As for Cruise and the believability of a 60-year-old Navy pilot, I'm confident they'll come up with a creative solution to get him back in the cockpit for at least one, final flight sequence. I don't think he'll be an active instructor or anything, but I feel like there has to be a fine-but-walkable line between full-on Navy gig and completely sidelined. As crazy as it might sound, maybe there's some kind of last-ditch, off-the-books mission where the U.S. can't intervene for some reason, but Cruise convinces the powers-that-be to look the other way as he heads up a covert operation. Kind of like when Batman goes to Hong Kong in The Dark Knight to "extradite" Lau because Gotham PD can't. I know one of the older TG:M drafts had Rooster getting captured behind enemy lines, and the final mission was to rescue him. So maybe they bring that back in some or fashion?

I get a little bit of the later Patrick McLanahan book series by Dale Brown in this. Private military research and development company, staffed with retirees and misfits that didn't fit in, coming up with new weapons and tactics for aging airframes, and then they have to take on off-the-books missions that the USA can't officially do.

And obviously, the title would be Top Gun: Mavericks.
Rocagnante
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

v

Top Gun: UAP
Philo B 93
This idea will sound bad at first, but give it a few minutes to percolate in your brain. There's really only one enemy that makes sense for Top Gun 3…… Aliens.

vwbug
Love the top gun dad idea

I've said this before on here about last Jedi - but TG 3 could do it too

Tell two parallel stories at the same time:
1. Rooster / Hangman adventure
2. Flashback to the "old man" and his legend and how he died

Would be pretty sweet.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Ten years have passed since Mav. The kid gets in the cockpit with his uncle and they jets and have a grand old time. Mav has been busted down to janitor for not following orders too many times and generally being a maverick. Kids uncle gets shot down by … lets say Hamas, Russia or the guys hijacking ships right now, and they are holding him hostage. Politicians get involved and they can't do anything to help save him. The kid and Mav steal a couple jets from the base. The principal from Back to the Future looks the other way. Mav and the kid fly to the far side of the world and blow up a bunch of stuff. Mav gets shot down and the kid has to save his uncle solo, however, Mav made an audio recording of instructions and advice that he put on an ipod that the kid listens to when he flys. Kid saves uncle and Mav is waiting for him at the hangar. Big jubilee on the landing strip. The end.
agenjake
So, Ted Lasso meets Longest Yard meets Dirty Dozen meets Wild Things?

In.
CMP-00-
AG
Iron Eagle didn't get the credit it deserved - always played second fiddle to TG but Lou Gossett's "Chappy" was a fun character.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.