A Guy Here in the Entertainment Industry in L.A. just told me . . .

3,561 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jinx
EclipseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

As a Texan working in Hollywood, absolutely no one gives a sh*t that I'm from Texas, nor has it ever kept me from getting a job.

Of course. You live in California and work in Hollywood. You are one of the enlightened ones. Doesn't mean the people in your industry are fair-minded about Texas or the South. Two totally different things.

Isn't everyone in Hollywood from somewhere else? But they were all smart enough to leave the backwater rubes (aka customers) behind.

TCTTS
AG
Do you guys *ever* take a self-reflective beat to consider how insanely aggrieved you sound? I just cannot imagine letting anything other than actual injustices, murder, war, etc rile me up as much as you let Hollywood get to you. I've never encountered people so triggered in all my life, especially by ideas you've mostly invented in your heads, and willfully stick to, no matter what evidence is presented to the contrary.
jeffk
AG
EclipseAg said:

TCTTS said:

As a Texan working in Hollywood, absolutely no one gives a sh*t that I'm from Texas, nor has it ever kept me from getting a job.

Of course. You live in California and work in Hollywood. You are one of the enlightened ones. Doesn't mean the people in your industry are fair-minded about Texas or the South. Two totally different things.

Isn't everyone in Hollywood from somewhere else? But they were all smart enough to leave the backwater rubes (aka customers) behind.

W.T.F.
EclipseAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Do you guys *ever* take a self-reflective beat to consider how insanely aggrieved you sound? I just cannot imagine letting anything other than actual injustices, murder, war, etc rile me up as much as you let Hollywood get to you. I've never encountered people so triggered in all my life, especially by ideas you've mostly invented in your heads, and willfully stick to, no matter what evidence is presented to the contrary.
I really don't care. I'm not aggrieved. It's just fun responding to your rants about "TexAgs contingents" and their rage and getting you even more worked up.

It's almost as if YOU don't take a self-reflective beat. LOL

Whos Juan
AG
EclipseAg said:

TCTTS said:

I really don't care. I'm not aggrieved. It's just fun responding to your rants about "TexAgs contingents" and their rage and getting you even more worked up.

TCTTS
AG
EclipseAg said:

TCTTS said:

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Has anyone ever experienced this kind of superiority complex? Not doubting you, but instead of calling each other liars, just share your stories of it happening or not happening.
Prophet00
AG
So you're willfully trolling to try and bait someone into getting more annoyed at your ridiculous statements?

And he's the fool?
The Porkchop Express
EclipseAg said:

TCTTS said:

Congrats on mastering internet ******baggery
Kellso
austin is sooo overrated.
jeffk
AG
Kellso said:

austin is sooo overrated.

Too crowded. That's why no one ever goes there anymore.
WoMD
The Agly Duckling said:

that "commercials like that aren't seen in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, etc."

The commercial that just ended was one where there were seemingly gay couples shown buying something, non-Whites (or People of Color) were prominently featured, etc. Then he said, "It's the same thing for drugs that help people with HIV, they just don't see those in those states."

Since we were watching a show on a very popular streaming service, Netflix, in this case, I found that dubious, and probably just another "anti-Southern" comment from this same individual he'd done several times in the past.

I considered his comment to be ignorant, prejudiced and discriminatory. Can anyone on this board who lives in any SEC footprint state tell me is his comment actually true? Are parts of our nation being censored from these types of commercials?

I had a rip-roaring argument about it with other friends that were present for that the next day.

TIA, and Gig 'em.

I see all of what he says doesn't exist amongst us lesser folks on tv commercials all the time here in Idaho, arguably the most conservative state in the union, filled with an abundance of slow minded and intolerant and backwards gun loving whities.

Yeah, your friend is a classic judgemental arrogant piece of **** that needs to get over himself. What an ass.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Sorry TCTTS, I'd agree with you on this but apparently according to F16 this entire board is your fiefdom and I'd just be parroting you.

Great, now that I've decided not to idolize you where do I go? I'll just go to the COVID board, I bet that's a nice calm place full of facts and free of opinionated people.
TCTTS
WoMD
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of superiority complex? Not doubting you, but instead of calling each other liars, just share your stories of it happening or not happening.

I have. Literally every day for the 7 years I lived in sf. But apparently they can be intolerant and judgemental, because they're more educated than those they are better than. When I point out I don't agree and am allowed to have an opinion even if it's not the same as theirs, and not because I have 8 years of advanced education, as well as the title of doctor, they promptly mumble something and then shut up. Bunch of entitled and arrogant self righteous dicks to be found out west. You eventually get used to it, but you also have to keep most opinions to yourself if you don't want to be cancelled. Most tolerant people in the world, as they like to say. Because they're just better than you.
The Agly Duckling
TCTTS said:

The Agly Duckling said:

The Porkchop Express said:

C0uld you at least give us some brands that you are referring to?

I've seen plenty of TV commercials with interracial couples and people that are not explicity called gay, but that inference could easily be made.

Also, who cares?
1) I'll look out for brands.

2) I care because there is tremendous prejudice against Texans, specifically, and all people from "the South" here in this town, and it's especially bad in the Entertainment Industry, where some people are actively excluded from work in the Industry. The reasons listed are:

"All Texans are prejudiced.
Texans hate all Muslims and Jews.
Texans hate all Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Arabs, etc., anybody who's not White.
The only culture in the state of Texas is at the bottom of a Petri dish.
The only reason football is so popular in Texas is because 'they don't have anything else to do.'
Texans are anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-intellectual, anti-education, and are small minded, prejudiced, ignorant and xenophobic.
Giving an Entertainment Industry job to a Texan is giving money and exposure to someone who hates you and supports White Supremacy."

All of these things are considered "common knowledge" here in this town, and "everybody knows" all that, and more, is "true."

I find all the above actually shows how ignorant, prejudiced and discriminatory those people are who say such things.

And I care because I want an even playing field here in this Industry where people aren't "cancelled" because of ridiculous prejudices of ignorant people like the individual who made the comment in the OP.

In interested in any- and everyone's thoughts on the above.

This definitely feels like bait, but what the hell, I'll take a biteā€¦

Hell, I have a production company called "Oil & Cattle," of all things, and people tell us quite frequently how much they love the name, ask where it comes from, and when I explain the Texas of it all, they get a kick out of it.

We even have a paid deal with a studio, run by some of the most powerful *women* in the industry, and work with people of all backgrounds/colors/sexual orientations, including some very notable names you would absolutely know, and definitely consider "liberal."

And yet, none of them care about the Texas of it all one bit.

This is simply yet another myth a certain TexAgs contingent has convinced itself of, because it fits a narrative that allows them to feel outrage, which is sadly what fuels it, and what gets it off.
It sounds like you are higher up the food chain than many. If true, that's great! That would hopefully help this problem that definitely exists as per my previous posts.
GoAgs92
AG
If I never had to see that Lume lady talking about greasing up her ass crack and thigh folds, I'd be willing to move to Florida.
The Agly Duckling
AggieOO said:

TCTTS said:

The Agly Duckling said:

The Porkchop Express said:

C0uld you at least give us some brands that you are referring to?

I've seen plenty of TV commercials with interracial couples and people that are not explicity called gay, but that inference could easily be made.

Also, who cares?
1) I'll look out for brands.

2) I care because there is tremendous prejudice against Texans, specifically, and all people from "the South" here in this town, and it's especially bad in the Entertainment Industry, where some people are actively excluded from work in the Industry. The reasons listed are:

"All Texans are prejudiced.
Texans hate all Muslims and Jews.
Texans hate all Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Arabs, etc., anybody who's not White.
The only culture in the state of Texas is at the bottom of a Petri dish.
The only reason football is so popular in Texas is because 'they don't have anything else to do.'
Texans are anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-intellectual, anti-education, and are small minded, prejudiced, ignorant and xenophobic.
Giving an Entertainment Industry job to a Texan is giving money and exposure to someone who hates you and supports White Supremacy."

All of these things are considered "common knowledge" here in this town, and "everybody knows" all that, and more, is "true."

I find all the above actually shows how ignorant, prejudiced and discriminatory those people are who say such things.

And I care because I want an even playing field here in this Industry where people aren't "cancelled" because of ridiculous prejudices of ignorant people like the individual who made the comment in the OP.

In interested in any- and everyone's thoughts on the above.

This definitely feels like bait, but what the hell, I'll take a biteā€¦

Hell, I have a production company called "Oil & Cattle," of all things, and people tell us quite frequently how much they love the name, ask where it comes from, and when I explain the Texas of it all, they get a kick out of it.

We even have a paid deal with a studio, run by some of the most powerful *women* in the industry, and work with people of all backgrounds/colors/sexual orientations, including some very notable names you would absolutely know, and definitely consider "liberal."

And yet, none of them care about the Texas of it all one bit.

This is simply yet another myth a certain TexAgs contingent has convinced itself of, because it fits a narrative that allows them to feel outrage, which is sadly what fuels it, and what gets it off.
i'm not in the industry, though i have friends who are. from my experience, if texas is mentioned, its, "Oh man, I love Austin!" or "I've always wanted to go to Austin."

i know that's probably not what the people of texags want to hear since a big bunch of people around here hate austin. The third response is, "oh, i have family in texas!" So many people have moved here that seems like everyone has relatives here.
The "Austin" thing, in my experiences, is completely real, but from the standpoint of, "Austin is the only place I'd consider visiting in that godforsaken state because everybody here talks about how liberal it is."
TresPuertas
AG
TCTTS said:

as a general rule i agree with you, but there are 2 things I know are absolutely true and probably need to be pointed out.

1. We are a proud people. More than any state, and HATE when people talk s*** about our home, ESPECIALLY Californians.

2. We don't like California people as a general rule. If there was a rivalry in this country, TX v. CA is probably the biggest. There's no reason to think they don't feel the same about us, and in that regard, i can see how the OP could be telling the truth.
Jinx
WoMD said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

You eventually get used to it, but you also have to keep most opinions to yourself if you don't want to be cancelled. Most tolerant people in the world, as they like to say. Because they're just better than you.

The funny part about this is thats also how I deal with living in the South. Keep opinions to yourself and keep your head down. You do get used to it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.