A Guy Here in the Entertainment Industry in L.A. just told me . . .

3,609 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jinx
The Agly Duckling
How long do you want to ignore this user?
that "commercials like that aren't seen in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, etc."

The commercial that just ended was one where there were seemingly gay couples shown buying something, non-Whites (or People of Color) were prominently featured, etc. Then he said, "It's the same thing for drugs that help people with HIV, they just don't see those in those states."

Since we were watching a show on a very popular streaming service, Netflix, in this case, I found that dubious, and probably just another "anti-Southern" comment from this same individual he'd done several times in the past.

I considered his comment to be ignorant, prejudiced and discriminatory. Can anyone on this board who lives in any SEC footprint state tell me is his comment actually true? Are parts of our nation being censored from these types of commercials?

I had a rip-roaring argument about it with other friends that were present for that the next day.

TIA, and Gig 'em.
cajunaggie08
AG
I have no clue since I'm in Texas, but I find it believable that certain companies wouldnt want to feature commercials with diverse casts and families in areas that have very negative reactions to that. The companies are buying and making ads. Its a waste of money to make an ad when demographic research says these consumers will boycott their product if they pickup on a message they dont like.
rhutton125
AG
I kept seeing HIV medication ads on CBS. Live in Texas. /shrug
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You should ask him why it took Hollywood 30 years to get 90's hip hop added in commercials.
The Porkchop Express
C0uld you at least give us some brands that you are referring to?

I've seen plenty of TV commercials with interracial couples and people that are not explicity called gay, but that inference could easily be made.

Also, who cares?
Big Cat `93
AG
See them all the time here in SETX.
superunknown
AG
Short version: probably.

Advertisers have demo and region specific copy running ALL the time. Example: no need to advertise jet skis in Grand Rapids in February or snow plows in Tampa ever.
Big Cat `93
AG
BTW, I've been seeing ads begging for donations to the ACLU recently. Not exactly Bible Belt fodder.
The Agly Duckling
The Porkchop Express said:

I've seen plenty of TV commercials with interracial couples and people that are not explicity called gay, but that inference could easily be made.

Also, who cares?
1) I'll look out for brands.

2) I care because there is tremendous prejudice against Texans, specifically, and all people from "the South" here in this town, and it's especially bad in the Entertainment Industry, where some people are actively excluded from work in the Industry. The reasons listed are:

"All Texans are prejudiced.
Texans hate all Muslims and Jews.
Texans hate all Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Arabs, etc., anybody who's not White.
The only culture in the state of Texas is at the bottom of a Petri dish.
The only reason football is so popular in Texas is because 'they don't have anything else to do.'
Texans are anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-intellectual, anti-education, and are small minded, prejudiced, ignorant and xenophobic.
Giving an Entertainment Industry job to a Texan is giving money and exposure to someone who hates you and supports White Supremacy."

All of these things are considered "common knowledge" here in this town, and "everybody knows" all that, and more, is "true."

I find all the above actually shows how ignorant, prejudiced and discriminatory those people are who say such things.

And I care because I want an even playing field here in this Industry where people aren't "cancelled" because of ridiculous prejudices of ignorant people like the individual who made the comment in the OP.

In interested in any- and everyone's thoughts on the above.
Bruce Almighty
AG
1. I live in the Ozarks, one of the most conservative areas in the country, and I see these commercials all the time.

2. If companies really did this, then it proves they don't really care about pushing diversity. If they did, they wouldn't limit these commercials to areas where diversity is already more accepted.
The Porkchop Express
AN even playing field in Hollywood sounds like wishing for an Aggie National Championship in football. Sure it would be great, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to live long enough to see it.

You should definitely hit up TCTTS - the resident Texan making his way through the Hollywood shuffle.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The Agly Duckling said:

2) I care because there is tremendous prejudice against Texans, specifically, and all people from "the South" here in this town, and it's especially bad in the Entertainment Industry, where some people are actively excluded from work in the Industry. The reasons listed are:

Texans hate all Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Arabs, etc., anybody who's not White.
The only reason football is so popular in Texas is because 'they don't have anything else to do.'
Texans are anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-intellectual, anti-education, and are small minded, prejudiced, ignorant and xenophobic.
Giving an Entertainment Industry job to a Texan is giving money and exposure to someone who hates you and supports White Supremacy."

All of these things are considered "common knowledge" here in this town, and "everybody knows" all that, and more, is "true."

I find all the above actually shows how ignorant, prejudiced and discriminatory those people are who say such things.

And I care because I want an even playing field here in this Industry where people aren't "cancelled" because of ridiculous prejudices of ignorant people like the individual who made the comment in the OP.

I mean, odds are in their favor with these assumptions.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Possibly on a micro level, but my guess is that guy is just ignorant and read it on the internet. The states mentioned are nowhere near the monolithic, carbon copy from door to door, single demographic he ignorantly believes them to be.

It's not simple like a fast food joint isn't going to advertise in Maine because their only locations current and planned are in the Pacific time zone.

Take the trash out staff.
wangus12
AG

Also, who cares?
Lol when we were at a Cowboys watch party a few weeks ago we were commenting on how every commercial now features an interracial, gay/lesbian couple now. One of our friends who is gay was super offended because in his view, being gay is no longer special/rare because modern media makes it seem like its every where.

Personally I was shocked at how dramatic he was being
MookieBlaylock
AG
rhutton125 said:

I kept seeing HIV medication ads on CBS. Live in Texas. /shrug

Ads are based on search history
good luck
Tibbers
I wouldn't be surprised. I'll never forget going to film classes at the university of Denver and the professor telling his students to push diversity and inclusion regardless of merit to the story or face their works never to be made. It was really eye opening and indicative of the current state of modern programming.
Gigem314
AG
No mention of us awful Texans riding our horses to work every day in oversized cowboy hats and belt buckles?

I'm disappointed. They need to work on their stereotypes.
Dimebag Darrell
The Agly Duckling said:

that "commercials like that aren't seen in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, etc."

The commercial that just ended was one where there were seemingly gay couples shown buying something, non-Whites (or People of Color) were prominently featured, etc. Then he said, "It's the same thing for drugs that help people with HIV, they just don't see those in those states."

Since we were watching a show on a very popular streaming service, Netflix, in this case, I found that dubious, and probably just another "anti-Southern" comment from this same individual he'd done several times in the past.

I considered his comment to be ignorant, prejudiced and discriminatory. Can anyone on this board who lives in any SEC footprint state tell me is his comment actually true? Are parts of our nation being censored from these types of commercials?

I had a rip-roaring argument about it with other friends that were present for that the next day.

TIA, and Gig 'em.
I wish Texas was.
DargelSkout
AG
Keep em thinking those things OP, maybe they'll quit moving here.
Al Bula
AG
LOL. When I saw this thread at the top of this board:

Nice try.
Robert L. Peters
Mute and ignore. Easy.
Proposition Joe
Are you asking if some ads are geotargeted?

Of course they are.
Iowaggie
AG
I would think that on streaming services they could easily target based on the profiles viewing history.

Ghost91
OP why were you talking to TCTT in the first place?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I see commercials like that all the time here in the SE Texas area.

I think this guy is a typical hateful ***** who believes his "truth" is all there is, all others are rubes or hicks.
Whos Juan
AG
It's 100% true...

Here are some commercials we don't get here in Texas. It's complete BS...

DannyDuberstein
AG
In DFW and just about every commercial of anyone selling anything these days checks DEI boxes in some way. Then plenty of commercials selling STD meds, meds on how to straighten your carrot, etc
AggieOO
I don't have ads on netflix, but i can tell you 100% that netflix ads (and most streaming services that aren't live TV) are absolutely targeted. Its all big data. If your family has mulitple profiles on Netflix, take a look at the "cover" pictures for movies/shows. A female's profile is much more likely to feature the strong female lead of a show.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Wish it were true in Texas. I'm afraid of catching HIV from some winky-eyed creeper on a train platform every time I flip the channel now.

*new Jim Beam spot calling out small towns is probably the most atrocious and heavy handed.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Uhhh, at the risk of feeding a likely troll, and having no idea what exact commercials you're referring to, I live in Florida. I see plenty of commercials featuring an ethnically, sexually, and gender diverse cast. And I drive by a billboard several times a week targeting people to go get an HIV test.
The Porkchop Express
The Agly Duckling said:

If that's the case, why in the hell would you want to work there? Move to Vancouver or Atlanta or back home, break the mold, and start finding your own projects in a place that tolerates who you are.
DallasTeleAg
Faustus
The Agly Duckling said:

Also, who cares?

. . .
Taylor Sheridan wears his Texas upbringing on his sleeve and seems to be doing pretty well. Wes Anderson keeps getting flicks made. Richard Linklater has done OK for himself. Tommy Lee Jones has been behind the camera and in front of it prominently. Larry McMurtry had a pretty good run in the industry. Tobe Hooper carved a niche out for himself.

Actors seem to have no problem:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spiritoftexas175th/article/Hollywood-and-Texas-have-a-long-relationship-15777072.php#

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls005193748/
(Texans in Hollywood)

Is it just not enough Texans? I imagine it's hard to get a break in the industry regardless of provenance (apart from nepotism).
TCTTS
AG
The Agly Duckling said:

Also, who cares?

This definitely feels like bait, but what the hell, I'll take a bite…

As a Texan working in Hollywood, absolutely no one gives a sh*t that I'm from Texas, nor has it ever kept me from getting a job.

Hell, I have a production company called "Oil & Cattle," of all things, and people tell us quite frequently how much they love the name, ask where it comes from, and when I explain the Texas of it all, they get a kick out of it.

We even have a paid deal with a studio, run by some of the most powerful *women* in the industry, and work with people of all backgrounds/colors/sexual orientations, including some very notable names you would absolutely know, and definitely consider "liberal."

And yet, none of them care about the Texas of it all one bit.

This is simply yet another myth a certain TexAgs contingent has convinced itself of, because it fits a narrative that allows them to feel outrage, which is sadly what fuels it, and what gets it off.
AggieOO
TCTTS said:

The Agly Duckling said:

Also, who cares?

This definitely feels like bait, but what the hell, I'll take a bite…

As a Texan working in Hollywood, absolutely no one gives a sh*t that I'm from Texas, nor has it ever kept me from getting a job.

Hell, I have a production company called "Oil & Cattle," of all things, and people tell us quite frequently how much they love the name, ask where it comes from, and when I explain the Texas of it all, they get a kick out of it.

We even have a paid deal with a studio, run by some of the most powerful *women* in the industry, and work with people of all backgrounds/colors/sexual orientations, including some very notable names you would absolutely know, and definitely consider "liberal."

And yet, none of them care about the Texas of it all one bit.

This is simply yet another myth a certain TexAgs contingent has convinced itself of, because it fits a narrative that allows them to feel outrage, which is sadly what fuels it, and what gets it off.
i'm not in the industry, though i have friends who are. from my experience, if texas is mentioned, its, "Oh man, I love Austin!" or "I've always wanted to go to Austin."

i know that's probably not what the people of texags want to hear since a big bunch of people around here hate austin. The third response is, "oh, i have family in texas!" So many people have moved here that seems like everyone has relatives here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.