Rock Hall of Fame 2023 Nominees

2,811 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by double aught
superunknown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kate Bush
Sheryl Crow
Missy Elliott
Iron Maiden
Joy Division/New Order
Cyndi Lauper
George Michael
Willie Nelson
Rage Against the Machine
Soundgarden
The Spinners
A Tribe Called Quest
The White Stripes
Warren Zevon

We know Sheryl Crow, Cyndi Lauper, George Michael, Willie, Missy, Tribe aren't rock and roll but by all means, commence arguing now!

If it was me...Warren Zevon, Maiden, Rage, Soundgarden, Joy/New Order, and Willie Nelson because he should be in every hall of fame.
bluefire579
AG
The White Stripes have been around long enough to be nominated? Jesus, I feel old. Either way, that one feels like it should be Jack White for his combined career instead of just the White Stripes.

Otherwise, I like your list, OP
Sponge
AG
Rock and roll hall of Fame imploding still the most desirable outcome.
DrEvazanPhD
Iron Maiden, Soundgarden, Rage and Stripes.

Love Willie Nelson, but he's country.
digging tunnels
AG
Maiden better get in!
AgNav93
AG
I'm sorry, I'm old and stopped listening to a lot of current popular music a long time a go, but, what have the white stripes done that makes them worthy? I think I've heard one song by them and it was ok.

With that said, I can't believe Warren Zevon, Iron Maiden, Willie Nelson and Soundgarden aren't already in. Sorry, I just don't see the White Stripes being in the same company as those. Feel free to **** on me.
batchuser
Weird Al should be in!
Another Doug
AG
AgNav93 said:

I'm sorry, I'm old and stopped listening to a lot of current popular music a long time a go, but, what have the white stripes done that makes them worthy? I think I've heard one song by them and it was ok.

With that said, I can't believe Warren Zevon, Iron Maiden, Willie Nelson and Soundgarden aren't already in. Sorry, I just don't see the White Stripes being in the same company as those. Feel free to **** on me.
Maybe you should listen to them before saying they aren't good. They also aren't current, 20+ years old and they are one of the few rock bands on that list.
rebag00
AG
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominee list (and subsequent inductee list) is the very rare completely insignificant thing in my life that elicits a visceral reaction from me. The inclusion of pretty much anyone they want to include in music for the sake of whatever BS reason is infuriating. Cheapens the whole deal.

Yet it makes absolutely no difference to anything in my life. I normally have no F's to give about 99.999% of this type of stuff (I'm looking at you Rolling Stone "greatest" lists) but for some reason this one moves the needle. Very strange to me.

Zevon, Soundgarden, Maiden. Thats it, that's the list.
Yellerjacket
Another Doug said:

AgNav93 said:

Maybe you should listen to them before saying they aren't good. They also aren't current, 20+ years old and they are one of the few rock bands on that list.
He didn't say they weren't good. If they weren't good, they wouldn't be on the list.
He is just like me. I've heard 7 Nation Army and nothing else. I just wasn't aware that they had done anything else. I thought Jack White just did his own thing after that.
DallasTeleAg
Stopped caring about it when it stopped being the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame. Just call it the Popular Music Hall of Fame and move on.
superunknown
AG
AgNav93 said:

With that said, I can't believe Warren Zevon

Can you believe this is the first time he's even been nominated?? What a travesty.

I also feel Doug Sahm deserves to be in the HoF. But that's a hill I'll die on some other day.
An L of an Ag
AG
Iron Maiden and Soundgarden definitely!!
bluefire579
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Stopped caring about it when it stopped being the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame. Just call it the Popular Music Hall of Fame and move on.
This is such a tired and ridiculous argument. Since year 1, there have been pop and r&b and soul and country and blues and all other kinds of acts in addition to rock.
62strat
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
White Stripes are awesome. And you have probably heard more from them than you think. But 7 Nation Army is probably one of the more recognizable songs in music today due to being a stadium banger for basically every professional team world wide.

Macarthur
Sure would love to see Tool at least nominated...
LCE
AG
superunknown said:

AgNav93 said:

With that said, I can't believe Warren Zevon

Can you believe this is the first time he's even been nominated?? What a travesty.

I also feel Doug Sahm deserves to be in the HoF. But that's a hill I'll die on some other day.

Preach!
johnnyblaze36
AG
Missy Elliott?!?!

Claude!
Shocked Maiden wasn't already in.
Philo B 93
I know you guys care about music as much as I do, which is a LOT. I like watching previous performances by some of the bands that have gotten in the Rock Hall of Fame, but other than that, I could not care any less about who is nominated, who gets in, who does the nominating, who attends, who inducts, who votes, or who watches.

In fact, I think its a crime that anyone in attendance on the Night Of misses a chance to be playing a real concert for real fans of their own in a real venue.
DallasTeleAg
bluefire579 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

This is such a tired and ridiculous argument. Since year 1, there have been pop and r&b and soul and country and blues and all other kinds of acts in addition to rock.
Fine... then it has always been mis-named. Doesn't change the fact it is NOT a "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame.

Thanks for playing.
62strat
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

bluefire579 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Fine... then it has always been mis-named. Doesn't change the fact it is NOT a "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame.

Thanks for playing.
Isn't the fact that it isn't even appropriately named about as rock n roll as it gets?
One Louder
AG
I'm not convinced Maiden would show up even if they were inducted.
DallasTeleAg
I don't even know anymore. It's just stupid.
Bruce Almighty
AG
"X band shouldn't be in the hall because I don't like them and my opinion is what matters!!!!"
Brandamne
How do they consider every genre Rock n Roll? Missy Elliot huh? Everyone gets a trophy these days.
Goodson
S
A rock and roll hall of fame that doesn't include one of the biggest bands of the 70s and 80s -- and who can still bring it today -- is a travesty.

Right the wrong and induct Styx ... now.
Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
DallasTeleAg
snowdog90
Yellerjacket said:

Another Doug said:

AgNav93 said:

He didn't say they weren't good. If they weren't good, they wouldn't be on the list.
He is just like me. I've heard 7 Nation Army and nothing else. I just wasn't aware that they had done anything else. I thought Jack White just did his own thing after that.

White Stripes are awesome. Here's some more.

Rudyjax
AG
Kate Bush-No
Sheryl Crow-Yes
Missy Elliott-No
Iron Maiden-Yes
Joy Division/New Order-Yes
Cyndi Lauper-grudgingly yes
George Michael-No
Willie Nelson-Yes
Rage Against the Machine-Yes
Soundgarden-YEs
The Spinners-No
A Tribe Called Quest-No
The White Stripes-No
Warren Zevon-Yes
62strat
AG
White stripes are great and all, but no reason why they deserve to get in first year of eligibility. That is for the elite of RnRHOF.. with very few exceptions.
https://futurerocklegends.com/1st_Ballot/

Metallica didn't even accomplish this, they were year 2 along with the likes of BB King, Radiohead, Stevie Wonder, and Cream.
RHCP, Queen, AC/DC and Aerosmith were year 3. Van Halen and Pink Floyd were year 4.

So.. no, White stripes are not of the caliber to get a year 1 in my opinion.

But they probably will... they are such massive critical darlings.. the underground, the independent.
Robert L. Peters
They should just change the name to Music and Rap hall of fame.
snowdog90
62strat said:

White stripes are great and all, but no reason why they deserve to get in first year of eligibility. That is for the elite of RnRHOF.. with very few exceptions.
https://futurerocklegends.com/1st_Ballot/

Metallica didn't even accomplish this, they were year 2 along with the likes of BB King, Radiohead, Stevie Wonder, and Cream.
RHCP, Queen, AC/DC and Aerosmith were year 3. Van Halen and Pink Floyd were year 4.

So.. no, White stripes are not of the caliber to get a year 1 in my opinion.

But they probably will... they are such massive critical darlings.. the underground, the independent.

Good points. They probably wouldn't get in 10 years ago, but each year there's less and less worthy bands. In a few years, with the music scene as bad as it is, there will be no real worthy bands, imo. White Stripes might get in just because there's not much out there better.

As for the others this year, Maiden, Rage and Soundgarden should definitely get in.
62strat
AG
PJ and Nirvana got in first year of eligibility.. yet we're still trying to get SG in and AIC not even nomd yet? Or Temple of the dog?

What a farce.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.