Band of Brothers

11,663 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by JABQ04
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BoB will forever be my favorite series, of any kind. I dont know how many times I've seen it, but usually end up watching the whole thing every year or two. Just watched it this past fall with my 16 year old.

The scene, I think in episode two, when Malarkey runs into the German soldier, who grew up near him, but went back to help the homeland before the US had entered the war...only for Malarkey to see him put to death 5 seconds after their conversation ended. That always gets me for various reasons.

Seeing the actual interviews before each episode always gets me too. When the old man says that maybe in another time and place he'd have been best friends with the boys he had to kill....man, what a thing to reconcile.

And I always feel a gut punch, as the series ends. Seeing Nixon talk to Winters about taking a job with his family on the Dock. Seeing them play baseball and describing their post-war lives. What a complete contrast to the world around them and what they'd gone through. It must have been such an odd thing to start dreaming of their post-war life.

I just started the first couple episodes of Masters of the Air, and enjoy it. My wife had two grandfathers who flew in the war, and it gives me an entirely new perspective. A couple scenes have already put visuals to some of the stories one of them told me.

I've never watched The Pacific, but will do that this year.
EllisCoAg
AG
Just binged The Pacific, wow, incredible.
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
dreyOO
Just finished BoB with the wife. First time. It should be mandatory viewing in this country.
HtownAg92
AG
I've seen it 100s of times, but still get sucked in. I sat down to test some surround sound settings the other day and pulled up "Day of Days" to test. I was in the middle of "Crossroads" before I got up.
LMCane
Malarkey never saw the German POWs being shot

he just heard the firing of the Thompson submachine gun.

that was why it was always a rumor about what Spears did.
AgGrad99
AG
LMCane said:

Malarkey never saw the German POWs being shot

he just heard the firing of the Thompson submachine gun.

that was why it was always a rumor about what Spears did.

Yes, I know. I was abbreviating the description of the scene.
LMCane
Claude! said:

KCup17 said:

I have that on my list. I am working through Undaunted Courage at the moment. But would gladly take any good WWII books similar in style to any of Ambrose's works.
Masters of the Air, about the 8th Air Force in Europe, is very good and in a similar style. Rick Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy is also worth a read, though it focuses a little less on the lives of the men on the front lines and more on the big picture.
Beyond Band of Brothers

book by Dick Winters
nai06
AG
My grandfather was in the 506-Fox Company. He never talked much about the war when I was younger and I regret not asking him about it more before he passed. He once said he had never been as cold as he was in Bastogne and if he never saw snow again, it would still be too soon. He spent the rest of his life in southern Louisiana and coastal Mississippi lol. I still have some of his medals and part of his parachute he brought home for my grandmother.
LMCane
back in 2004 I was on a chartered bus for the opening of the WWII Memorial on the Mall

there were some vets from DDay and it was pretty awesome.

at the time, they were not feeble old men. that's how old I am.

JABQ04
AG
I was 12 the summer of 1994 but remember watching the 50th anniversary of D-day stuff and some of the original paratroopers jumped into Normandy for the commemoration.

Had a buddy I was stationed with that PCSd to the 173d Airborne and they jumped into Normandy for the celebration and posted videos of singing Blood on the Risers with some of the airborne vets about 10 years ago while they were boozing in the streets of St Mere Eglise

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.