Underrated Movies

10,861 Views | 173 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by neronero
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm curious what movies people think are truly underrated.

For me it's Secondhand Lions. Just a phenomenal movie that I feel like a lot of people don't even know exists. And it's set in Texas.
Sponge
AG
People that have seen Secondhand Lions all say it's great, so we are talking great but unknown movies, not underrated movies right?

If so I'll suggest No Man's Land (2001).
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'd concur. Unknown might be a better descriptor.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Big Trouble in Little China. If you polled the average person off of the street they would have no clue about this phenomenal movie.

More of us on the entertainment board might and do, but we are not representative of the populace.
Bruce Almighty
AG
There are multiple ways to answer this, but I'll go with Everybody Wants Some!! It was well reviewed, but even after just 7 years, it's been pretty much forgotten. It was also a dud at the box office. Linklater has a few underrated movies. I think A Scanner Darkly and Waking Life are both great and underrated for the same reasons.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

There are multiple ways to answer this, but I'll go with Everybody Wants Some!! It was well reviewed, but even after just 7 years, it's been pretty much forgotten. It was also a dud at the box office. Linklater has a few underrated movies. I think A Scanner Darkly and Waking Life are both great and underrated for the same reasons.

I love Everybody Wants Some!
BadMoonRisin
AG
I live a few miles from the Cele General Store from that movie. They have great bbq there.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I like Linklater stuff and I still haven't seen that one, if that tells you anything. Good mention.
DallasTeleAg
Secondhand Lions is a good one. More people should see this movie.
DallasTeleAg
Quincey P. Morris said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I love Everybody Wants Some!
Third on that one. I remember it didn't seem to have much hype behind it, but checked it out anyways and just enjoyed it.

I would also have to throw out another Texan who's movies I love. Wes Anderson's Bottlerocket is obviously his first and before he really found his exact style, but I just enjoy the hell out of that movie. I get a kick out of Luke Wilson's character throughout the whole movie.
Post removed:
by user
jokershady
AG
Phonebooth. Crazy suspenseful and short (less than 1.5 hours) and it sucks that Colin Ferrals performance went under the radar on that one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AI
boogieman
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Love it.
The dumbest line that gets me every time.

Quote:

Check your pillows man!

What's that mean? What's that even mean?

Trajan88
AG
The Heroes of Telemark (1965)

The remake... Heavy Water
Trajan88
AG
Spartan

The Porkchop Express
Anyone who hasn't recognized the brilliance of Big Trouble in Little China at this point in our collective history is an idiot.

MGS
The Porkchop Express said:

Anyone who hasn't recognized the brilliance of Big Trouble in Little China at this point in our collective history is an idiot.

Username checks out.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Things to do in Denver when you're dead.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Love that one. Great cast, the humor and timing are so perfect. Kieran Culkin is low key hilarious in that film. Great soundtrack too.
bluefire579
AG
Doomsday. Action movie from Neil Marshall (did Battle of the Blackwater for GoT and The Descent) about a zombie-like disease outbreak that led to England quarantining all of Scotland, wherein the Scots turned to either Mad Max-like raiders or a medieval feudal system. It's violent, bloody, and entertaining as hell.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
PCU
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Emotional Support Cobra said:

PCU

I'm not gonna protest this entry.
CrystalLakeAgbu
Nate and Hayes

A 80s pirate flick with Tommy Lee Jones in it.
90 bull
AG
The In-Laws.
barbacoa taco
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Love that one. Great cast, the humor and timing are so perfect. Kieran Culkin is low key hilarious in that film. Great soundtrack too.
LOVE Scott Pilgrim. The cinematic style is very quirky and creative. And it's a hilarious movie. I'm a big fan of Edgar Wright.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Movies that I think are generally very well liked but still don't get enough love imho....

Donnie Brasco (in the gangster genre , GF and Goodfellas dominate the scene but DB is so so damn good)
Boiler Room
Eastern Promises
Changeling (Eastwood directed, and never gets enough love or mention)
A Perfect World (Another overlook Eastwood/Costner movie)

AgTrip
Fandango popped up in our conversation the other day. Good timing of this thread. That is a great movie! I believe it was also Kevin Costner's first starring role.

AR_Ag95
AG
Based on true story….excellent movie!
BaileyAg
AG
Muriel's Wedding.
It might be written off as a chick-flick, but i really enjoy this one every time i see it.
DTP02
AG
Ronin.

Galaxy Quest I don't think was appreciated enough when it first came out but has become moreso.

About Time was a moderate hit but still underappreciated IMO.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Dark City
boy09
AG
The Nice Guys.

I'm not sure i had ever heard anyone talk about it until 5 years after it came out.
Rudyjax
AG
Any movie I like is under-rated in my opinion.

DTP02
AG
boy09 said:

The Nice Guys.

I'm not sure i had ever heard anyone talk about it until 5 years after it came out.

This is a great mention. I barely remember it coming out and just saw it for the first time in the last couple weeks. Needs a sequel.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.