Generation war

1,254 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cbr
cbr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just found it on prime. Its a few years old but pretty damned good. Has 5 full stars fwiw.

It is in german though, so if you cant follow it you'll need subtitles, but its worth it. My childhood german got buried under a smattering of spanish, afrikaans, even mandarin, so it all became a jumble, but this is bringing it back for me a little.

Story of 5 childhood german friends, teens in 1940, and takes them through the war. Sort of a saving private ryan (the action sequences are actually that good and the style is clearly reminiscient) but from a german perspective.

Im only a few episodes in, but it is Fascinating in that so far it largely lacks all the tired nazi tropes, holocaust tropes, or even typical german self loathing beyond what has to exist on self reflection of the nazi era.

2 girls, 2 soldiers and a jewish friend.

Very good and very refreshing so far. Highly recommend.
Duncan Idaho
Sounds like "Unsere Mutter, unsere Vater"
cbr
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Sounds like "Unsere Mutter, unsere Vater"
Yes - i think thats it. Probably reNamed it for prime.
2008and1
AG
I watched this a few years ago on Netflix. I really enjoyed it.
2008and1
AG
Some old threads on the series:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2425670

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2498839/1
cbr
AG
2008and1 said:

Some old threads on the series:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2425670

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2498839/1
Thanks for the links.

Yeah the history and perspective is interesting. As a kid i knew and was pretty close to some germans that grew up at that time and served. Frankly, they rescued my mother and i. And their perspectives were very much not pro nazi, yet still such an eye opener as to the realities you would never hear in history books or american views.

Some of those moral dilemmas get dealt with in this show.
KCup17
AG
Watched a couple years ago and it is a great great show. Been reading through some Stephen Ambrose recently and has given me an urge for the Band of Brother-esque shows/movies. Have this show on the list to re-watch.
LMCane

cbr said:

Just found it on prime. Its a few years old but pretty damned good. Has 5 full stars fwiw.

It is in german though, so if you cant follow it you'll need subtitles, but its worth it. My childhood german got buried under a smattering of spanish, afrikaans, even mandarin, so it all became a jumble, but this is bringing it back for me a little.

Story of 5 childhood german friends, teens in 1940, and takes them through the war. Sort of a saving private ryan (the action sequences are actually that good and the style is clearly reminiscient) but from a german perspective.

Im only a few episodes in, but it is Fascinating in that so far it largely lacks all the tired nazi tropes, holocaust tropes, or even typical german self loathing beyond what has to exist on self reflection of the nazi era.

love this series

except the entire Jewish angle is about as Hollywood Berlin as is even possible.

how do I put on the spoiler blackout?
cbr
AG
LMCane said:

cbr said:

love this series

except the entire Jewish angle is about as Hollywood Berlin as is even possible.

i just looked it up - content

so how is the jewish angle hollywood berlin at all? i thought it was way outside the usual tropes?

the jewish kid grew up with nonjewish friends and a loyal jewish german father. the nonjewish friend risked her life to get him out, but he didnt make it and she was killed for it. He escaped the train and found that the polish and russians hated jews just as much as the germans did. he walked the tightrope and lived through it when the one that always hated the nazis and the war, and the girl who risked her life to save him didn't. none of that screams typical hollywood holocaust movies to me

LMCane
cbr said:

LMCane said:

cbr said:

love this series

so how is the jewish angle hollywood berlin at all? i thought it was way outside the usual tropes?

the jewish kid grew up with nonjewish friends and a loyal jewish german father. the nonjewish friend risked her life to get him out, but he didnt make it and she was killed for it. He escaped the train and found that the polish and russians hated jews just as much as the germans did. he walked the tightrope and lived through it when the one that always hated the nazis and the war, and the girl who risked her life to save him didn't. none of that screams typical hollywood holocaust movies to me

lol I see what you put the spoiler on but it doesn't have the directions for me to learn how to use it

so SPOILER ALERT

1. the fact that there were Jews in Berlin who had friends who were Aryans was a VERY small minority by 1940 as portrayed here. particularly for German officers in the Wehrmacht.

2. the odds of the one hero Jew to be able to jump from a train on it's way to Auschwitz and survive would have been 0.5%

3. the odds of the hero not only being able to jump from a train, but join the partisans and not be killed by the Germans or the Poles would have been 0.5%

4. the odds of such a guy coming back to Berlin after the end of the war would have been 0.5%

in reality, guy would have been worked to death in a concentration camp after starving and standing out in the snow with no clothes for weeks on end.
LMCane
one interesting aspect of "Generation War"

the cute German girl who becomes a Nurse and serves on the Eastern front...

is in real life part Jewish.

Miriam Stein (born 10 May 1988) is an Austrian-Swiss television and film actress. She is best known internationally for a leading role as Charlotte in the German television drama Generation War (2013).

Stein was born in Vienna, Austria, to an Austrian mother and her Swiss father, television presenter Dieter Moor.
She is of German-Jewish descent; her paternal grandfather was a Holocaust survivor from Germany.
cbr
AG
LMCane said:

cbr said:

LMCane said:

cbr said:

love this series

lol I see what you put the spoiler on but it doesn't have the directions for me to learn how to use it

so SPOILER ALERT

1. the fact that there were Jews in Berlin who had friends who were Aryans was a VERY small minority by 1940 as portrayed here. particularly for German officers in the Wehrmacht.

2. the odds of the one hero Jew to be able to jump from a train on it's way to Auschwitz and survive would have been 0.5%

3. the odds of the hero not only being able to jump from a train, but join the partisans and not be killed by the Germans or the Poles would have been 0.5%

4. the odds of such a guy coming back to Berlin after the end of the war would have been 0.5%

in reality, guy would have been worked to death in a concentration camp after starving and standing out in the snow with no clothes for weeks on end.
i tried but it blacked out my instructions, lol. you use [sp] and then after your content you use a slash sp.

go back and try it.

as for your spoilers,

1, what? why do you say that? some of the germans of that era whom i knew were different. the stats show differently as well. only 12 out of 60 million germans were nazis even in 1932 elections.

and frankly there were many reasons to join the party other than racism against jews - this wasnt the wonderful free america we used to have - their choice was to be a nazi, or be a communist...those were basically the only choices. the other parties were just regional, ethnic, or catholic parties with no chance of power.

while i would certainly agree that the majority was probably anti semitic, that was not a whole lot different than the rest of the world, until the nazi party took control and the ss started their programs.

i dont think the average german kid that grew up with jewish friends was turning their back on them, or that the story is unrealistic. But more to the point - the classic hollywood trope is your position, not the more nuanced truth reflected in the show.

2. who is to say what the odds were? i knew a german pilot who was shot down in finland, burned 3rd degree over his whole body, captured and beaten by soviets, shipped to siberia to die, with broken ribs, arms and legs, and yet escaped the train, basically crawled to denmark, secretly boarded a freighter and ended up in new york. he's probably counted among the war dead or soviet prison murdered guys, but that was not his fate. for sure, i would think a lot higher percentage of jewish prisoners than that would have escaped and fought rather than just going to the camps.

3. just like many other things, not all poles hated jews, and certainly not so much to refuse to allow them to fight on their behalf. not sure your odds are that far off.

4, you wouldnt go back to find your parents and friends? anyway, statistically not nearly that rare. while clearly there were fewer than before the nazis came to power, by my quick research, there were nearly as many jews in germany after 1946 as there were in 1940.

again, statiscially i guess you are right about real life odds, but that is what hollywood always shows in the holocaust - whereas this was a little different. i dont see where you are saying this is a tired retread of hollywood holocaust themes, becuase i think it is different.

LMCane
it's a tired retread because in the VAST majority of the 100 holocaust movies there is some heroic guy or gal who miraculously survives (Pianist in Warsaw, so many boxers in all the movies about how they have to kill their fellow inmates, movies about survivors and those who fought back (Daniel Craig and the Partisans)

so great.

but in literally 90% of the real life cases, they would have been murdered or died from starvation/overwork

so Hollywood focuses on the 10% of the feel good stories.
Claude!
Directions for blacking out spoilers are in the stickied thread on this forum.
pocketrockets06
AG
I think you might need to check your sources on the number of Jews in Germany. Germany had a Jewish population of 525,000 in 1933 and just 37,000 in 1950. That's a 96% reduction. As the other commenter noted, the fictional journey here is 1 in a million. That's true of a lot of Hollywood stories but let's at least acknowledge that.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Claude! said:

Directions for blacking out spoilers are in the stickied thread on this forum.

You can also use the quote function and see anyone's code they used, in case you want to do the same. It also shows you bleeped out words, when Texags filters get screwy on you.
cbr
AG
I gotcha. I do t really watch many holocaust shows, it's just depressing. But all the ones I have seen seems like they all die, so to me this is different.

I checked stats before I posted that. There weren't a lot of firm numbers. It the numbers I used were from a decent source. I'll try to relocate and link.

Either way there would be no stats on how many jews escaped and fought. I'd personally like to believe the number is on the high side.

I also don't know how accurate evidence is on survival rates but basically more than half of German and Austrian Jews survived ww2.

https://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/holocaust/h-statistics.htm

I don't think any stats detract from the show at all

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.