All the DON'T WORRY DARLING drama...

25,005 Views | 312 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GoAgs92
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought about starting a thread on this a few days ago, but didn't have the time or patience to summarize the entire ordeal. Then today happened, and Twitter is blowing up, so I figured what the hell. As best and as concisely as I can summarize…

First things first, the Olivia-Wilde-directed Don't Worry Darling hits theaters September 23rd...

- During the shoot, in what would become some of the biggest tabloid fodder of the past couple years, Olivia Wilde and Harry Styles fell for each other, then started dating shortly after, in the wake of Wilde's divorce from America's favorite uncle, Ted Lasso, aka Jason Sudeikis.

- However, originally, Shia LaBeouf was cast in the role that ultimately went to Harry Styles. And in a recent Variety interview from Aug 24, Wilde implied that she fired LaBeouf from the project, claiming, "His process was not conducive to the ethos that I demand in my productions. He has a process that, in some ways, seems to require a combative energy, and I don't personally believe that is conducive to the best performances. I believe that creating a safe, trusting environment is the best way to get people to do their best work. Ultimately, my responsibility is to the production and to the cast to protect them. That was my job."

- Though, two days later, LeBeouf went on the defensive, setting the record with Variety, saying that he in fact quit the project - and brought the receipts to prove it - including a private video message he received from Wilde, practically begging him to rejoin the project…

- This rebuttle was part of LaBeouf's effort to clear his name, after apparently turning his life around, embracing Catholicism, and attempting to save his career (which seems to be working, as he was cast in Francis Ford Coppola's next just last week).

- In the above video Wilde sent to LaBeouf, Wilde nonchalantly appears to throw the film's star, Florence Pugh - whom she refers to as "Miss Flo" - under the bus, hinting at Pugh's own rehearsal process as one of the reasons LaBeouf potentially left the project.

- Due to all the drama (and almost assuredly the slight in the video from Wilde), the always-great Pugh then dropped out of the impending Don't Worry Darling promotional tour. However, Pugh agreed to attend the world premiere red carpet event at the Venice Film Festival today, but opted out of the post-screening press conference itself. In fact, here's Pugh grabbing a drink during the press conference, which has already become a big meme…

- During this same press conference, yet another star of the film, Chris Pine, for whatever reason (likely despising the drama, as one should), seemed to check out completely, spurring yet another great meme...

- And now, for the cherry on top, what's sending this whole, insane charade into the gossip stratosphere, footage has emerged from the Venice screening of Styles seemingly SPITTING on Pine - for who knows why - and Pine reacting by simply laughing to himself incredulously...

As all of this hits a fever pitch, the internet has essentially cast Wilde and Styles as the villains, and Pine and Pugh as the king and queen that they are, with LaBeouf somewhere in the middle, though even he's found a whole new sympathy from fans.

This is all, of course, after Jason Sudeikis had ex Olivia Wilde served on stage while she was debuting Don't Worry Darling footage to a live audience at Cinema-Con back in April, which caused all kinds of drama and headlines as well.

Finally, what makes it all even funnier, is that the highly-buzzed-about movie itself debuted today on Rotten Tomatoes at a whopping 39%.

Truly, I've never seen anything like this...

PatAg
AG
I just saw that video on Twitter, Pine's reaction says it all.

Also I have Pine in that fight, easy
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
maroon barchetta
PatAg said:

I just saw that video on Twitter, Pine's reaction says it all.

Also I have Pine in that fight, easy

I'm definitely taking Pine in a fight.

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
toucan82
I opened this thread expecting it to be about Pugh getting paid less than Styles. This is amazing
MookieBlaylock
AG
How Wilde
TCTTS
AG
oragator
I've been following this too.

Train wreck just isn't a strong enough phrase.

Wilde may never be allowed behind a camera again unless she is funding it.
maroon barchetta
"Miss Flo"

You know she means that in a couple of ways.
TCTTS
AG
Didn't even think of that.
GoAgs92
AG
You know you have problems when Shia Labeouf is the voice of reason.
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

Oh yeah. She planned that carefully.
TCTTS
AG
BowSowy
AG
I look forward to stumbling through explaining this drama to my wife who was somewhat interested in this movie.
Max Power
AG
Thanks for summarizing all the nonsense of this movie. I didn't plan on seeing it before, still don't. The publicity might help ticket sales to a degree but it's not going to increase the reputation of a troubled production.

The more this goes on the more it feels that Wilde lost her mind, and her family, because of a boy band member. She was considered a promising filmmaker, now she's going to have to rethink things, especially if this is a bomb.

I've just thought she's been super weird about this and if the film falters she's not going to see herself as culpable. Multiple times I've seen her go on the offensive because she's had to tone down the eroticism of the film. She's was mad about how the trailer was cut and openly talked about how people, particularly men, have had a problem with women being sexual in nature and the negative impact on what she wanted this to be. There's been a lot of posturing from her on this well before the film's release, which feels like she's knows this isn't good.
bluefire579
AG
toucan82 said:

I opened this thread expecting it to be about Pugh getting paid less than Styles. This is amazing
Yeah, I remember that being the initial drama that came from this, which I think has since been debunked. Or if not debunked, completely swept under the rug because the craziness just continues to grow.
aTmLoKi
AG
TCTTS said:

Winner!
Duncan Idaho
1) What is this movie about? The cast and the trailer debuting at comic-con makes me think a zombie film
2) i feel confident believing Shia's new found faith will be as sticky as a "hello, my name is" sticker at a college career fair.
3was I the only one confused by the "miss flo" comments and was kind of surprised about how open and frank everyone was being about Wilde's menstrual cycle?

CCAg95
AG
I now consider it a possibility that she staged the serving of papers during the trailer reveal.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

And this is how we know you've never been married
The Porkchop Express
Suddenly that Munsters movie isn't looking so bad.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
amercer
AG
Honestly I thought the trailer looked good. Sort of a 1950s set dystopian Sci Fi vibe with a desert cult kind of twist.
YouBet
AG
I know nothing about any of this but it sounds awesome.
The Dirty Sock
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Team Shia, Team Pine, Team Sudekis

Both Wilde and Styles seem like crappy people.
Duncan Idaho
I just went to youtube to watch the trailer.

When you start typing it in, the trailer is like the 4th or 5th suggestion

But the trailer makes it look like a pretty good movie. Shamr they had to make it all groomy with all the sexuality.
maroon barchetta
Duncan Idaho said:

I just went to youtube to watch the trailer.

When you start typing it in, the trailer is like the 4th or 5th suggestion

But the trailer makes it look like a pretty good movie. Shamr they had to make it all groomy with all the sexuality.

Your trolls are usually better than this.
ExpressAg11
AG
I feel like I've seen this song and dance before, but back then it was HHH & Stephanie vs The Rock & Trish Stratus

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.