Prey (Predators vs. Comanche)

21,370 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by jbanda
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk said:

So this might sound dumb, but it's actually a really pretty movie. Lots of overhead and wide panning wilderness shots (filmed up in Alberta) and the soundtrack is very Last of the Mohicans-esque.

I enjoyed it.
Yes, it does sound dumb.

But you're not wrong. The cinematography was beautiful. Much of it had to be with drones and they knocked it out of the park. I even thought a lot of the action sequences were very well filmed as well.

New Predator design and weapons were pretty cool. I had the distinct notion that the Predator was younger, maybe even a teenager or near adult. With a couple exceptions the weapons were more archaic, maybe on purpose.

Anyway, enjoyed it for certain, my only real gripe was the ending fight scene. You just simply can't have a 15 year old girl (or guy for that matter) fight that thing straight up. I mean literally one landed punch should take a head off and there was just too much close quarter sparring. Needed a re-shoot there.

dreyOO
jeffk said:

Predator 2 callback was the pistol right?
Yep, that's the less obvious one. Raphael Andolini
Bruce Almighty
AG
It was decent, third best in the franchise. I didn't mind the badass warrior princess thing as much as I thought I would, but the magic flowers really bothered me.
YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I enjoyed it. It was a well done action movie that was beautifully shot . Which I think might be it's problem.

It was well done enough and was pretty enough that you could forget it was a straight to streaming 6th installation of a film franchise that started with 2 future governors playing the leading roles, and not "the revenant meets the predator".

Sure the dialogue was a little to contemporary, sure the cgi wasn't perfect, but thats ok. It was a fun movie that we enjoyed.

I did try watching the Comanche dubbed version and like almost all dubbed movies it was terrible.
That's still so wild to think about. No one had that on their bingo card.
water turkey
I just watched it. It was mildly entertaining. Bad CGI animals but I have seen worse.
Faustus
Duncan Idaho said:

I enjoyed it. It was a well done action movie that was beautifully shot . Which I think might be it's problem.

It was well done enough and was pretty enough that you could forget it was a straight to streaming 6th installation of a film franchise that started with 2 future governors playing the leading roles, and not "the revenant meets the predator".

Sure the dialogue was a little to contemporary, sure the cgi wasn't perfect, but thats ok. It was a fun movie that we enjoyed.

I did try watching the Comanche dubbed version and like almost all dubbed movies it was terrible.

I enjoyed it too. It was much better than it had to be.
joerobert_pete06
AG
I thought the movie was awesome and better than the 1st. Early in the movie, they showed examples of how badass the Comanche are at hunting / fighting so I didn't mind the close quarters fighting with the predator.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not bad.

Anyone else get heavy World of Warcraft vibes from the score?
Scientific
AG
Tying in Billy, I thought this film explained some what his connection to the first. He had a keen sense of what was on that jungle. The cinematography is good. Easily the 2nd best film of the franchise imo.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Was thinking, when that girls brother was killed by the predator, how did she get away from him? I remember that the scene just cut away and she was cleaning up at the river
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
YouBet said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I was like when did Carl Weathers become Governor? Oh you mean Jessie Venture. he wasn't a lead.....
Duncan Idaho
Yet....Carl hadn't become governor, yet.
Faustus
joerobert_pete06 said:

Was thinking, when that girls brother was killed by the predator, how did she get away from him? I remember that the scene just cut away and she was cleaning up at the river
I recall her running and jumping off a cliff into the river (I suspect as a callback to when Arnold jumped off a cliff to escape in the first flick).
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Watched last night. It was good, but not 92% on RT good.

Pros:

- Easy/quick watch
- Characters you like/root for (especially main protagonist)
- Uncomplicated plot
- Cinematography had no business being this good
- Some good old-fashioned ultraviolence

Cons:

- Some of the special effects were sketchy here and there
- Was it me or was Naru running waaaaay too slow in some scenes; I don't know, where speed is off the essence in a chase scene, the post-prod team couldn't speed up her running sequences 1.3 times or something? Bothered me.
- Would've liked some more Comanche language mixed in every now and then; I mean the straight up English was fine since it's an uncomplicated action movie or whatever, but still.

I'd give it a solid B, maybe B+.
YouBet
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

YouBet said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I was like when did Carl Weathers become Governor? Oh you mean Jessie Venture. he wasn't a lead.....
He has other strengths:

JABQ04
AG
I really enjoyed it. Hell showing it to my kids right now.
Scotty Flamingo
Had low expectations, but enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would.
DrEvazanPhD
it was ok. The whole "i want to be a hunter because no one thinks i can" is just a lazy trope that's common in these "strong female character" movies, but at least it wasn't over the top.

But question about the pistol...she has it at the end of the movie. In predator 2, the predators clearly have it to give away. Did they show up later and murder the **** out of the whole village, and take the pistol as a prize?
Duncan Idaho
Watch the credits
joerobert_pete06
AG
I was thinking the same thing, that that might be the same pistol.

Or maybe that means there is a 2nd predator that was dropped in that time frame and makes it out with another pistol
joerobert_pete06
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Watch the credits

Good call
DrEvazanPhD
Duncan Idaho said:

Watch the credits
Did i miss a post credits scene?
Duncan Idaho
Kinda but no. But sorta yes
joerobert_pete06
AG
Technically pre-credit
Proposition Joe
That was enjoyable. Biggest issue I had was the bear/lion CGI to be honest. Everything else worked in the framing of a mindless action flick.

And Predator 2 does not get near enough love on this thread. Danny Glover? Gary Busey? Bill Paxton? A distantly-related Baldwin brother? Morton Downey Jr!? A fresh off The Running Man set Maria Conchita Alonso!? A Predator roaming the streets of dystopian Los Angeles taking out drug rings?

If you can't appreciate this 80's-esque but released in 1990 gem, shame on you.
Swarely
Just got here. Which page does the weird slap fight end and the talk about the actual movie begin?
Faustus
On one of the previous six pages.
jeffk
AG
Page six.
jbanda
AG
Last horse crosses the finish line…again. First with Maverick and now this.

I really dug this movie. I really love the first movie and the call backs were fun.

The only thing I have an issue with is the setting. Not sure if it's been discussed, but I would have loved if this were set in Blanco, or Palo Duro, or San Saba. The real Comancheria. Make the French the Spanish and incorporate the horse as the Comanche's ace in the hole. The Comanches beat the hell out of the spanish a lot. There were more than a few spanish punitive expeditions that never were seen again. Work that in. Maybe it's just me but I love seeing sweeping shots of Texas (a la No Country for Old Men or Sicario). Guess who's been reading empire of the summer moon?

That or make the Comanches the Lakota or Blackfoot or Kiowa.

jbanda
AG
Sorry. 1 more thing. What do all great modern Native American movies have? WES STUDI. I need Magua vs. Predator.
Robert L. Peters
Am watching predator right now. Somebody posted above about a tie in or relation between the Native American in predator and the prey folks.

But then I started thinking. If there was a life that had the technology to harness the power of suns and engage in intergalactic travel, I doubt their pursuits would be to hunt a species light years away. Just saying.
Charles Hickson Knows
I've heard there were several extraterrestrial related events in the US back in 1800's.

This account was not one of them.
bluefire579
AG
https://www.small-screen.co.uk/prey-sequel-plot-details-world-war-2/

Sequel is coming. Sticking to the Native American theme, but fast forwarding a few centuries to WWII with the main character being a descendant of the main character in the first movie, serving as a Windtalker
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
bluefire579 said:

https://www.small-screen.co.uk/prey-sequel-plot-details-world-war-2/

Sequel is coming. Sticking to the Native American theme, but fast forwarding a few centuries to WWII with the main character being a descendant of the main character in the first movie, serving as a Windtalker
I will watch the hell out of that.
#FJB
jbanda
AG
100%. But we NEED Wes Studi to be in this movie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.