need country dancehall recommendations

3,611 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
ABATTBQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My GF and I are looking to dance the Texas Summer away by visiting Country Dancehalls. We reside in the DFW area and have a few favorites in the area, but are looking forward to seeing new venues.

We have these trips planned so far:

Memorial Day weekend = Fredericksburg/Luckenbach

June 4th = Weatherford Street Dance Rodeo Grounds

Gruene Hall is on the list
TXAG 05
AG

Schroeder Hall
Cheatham St

While you are in New Braunfels for Gruene Hall or San Marcos for Cheatham, hit Riley's Tavern and Devils Backbone Tavern.
BaileyAg
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

My GF and I are looking to dance the Texas Summer away by visiting Country Dancehalls. We reside in the DFW area and have a few favorites in the area, but are looking forward to seeing new venues.

What a really cool idea.
ABATTBQ87
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Schroeder Hall
Cheatham St

While you are in New Braunfels for Gruene Hall or San Marcos for Cheatham, hit Riley's Tavern and Devils Backbone Tavern.
Years ago I lived off of RR 12 and Purgatory Road and am very familiar with the Devils Backbone Tavern
hurleyag
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Try to get over to London while you're in the hill country.
Potcake
AG
Swiss Alp and Sengalmann Hall in Schulenberg
emando2000
AG
If you stop in Austin then hit up Mavericks in Buda and ask for Moya. If he's there then tell him what you're doing and tell him Mando sent you. He's a tshirt sip but he's good people. I know the Pflugerville location needed a new manager and he was filling the role until they got a new one trained. He should be back at the Buda location by now. He'll prolly buy your first beer and then a shot or two.
aggiechick
What are your favorites in the DFW area?
StillNotAnAggie
Take her to Criders Amatuer Rodeo and dance on a Saturday night in Hunt Texas.
ABATTBQ87
AG
aggiechick said:

Rodeo Exchange in Fort Worth
Electric Cowboy in Lewisville

We plan on hitting other dancehalls and saloons in the Stockyards over the summer
MAROON
AG
https://texasheritageforliving.com/texas-living/preserving-texas-last-historic-dance-halls/
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Westicles
AG
London Dancehall is a gem. Saw Gary P Nunn there Saturday.
bagger05
AG
aggiechick said:

I've always had a great time when I've gone to Red River. Pretty basic but always a lot of fun. Haven't been since before COVID but I bet it's come back to the way it used to be.
Wicked Good Ag
BaileyAg said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

What a really cool idea.
Really wish i had done something like this during my dance hall days in college or just after

bagger05
AG
It's not too late
McKelveysCurse
Circa 1980 there was the Down-Hole Club on 290 outside of Giddings. Caldwell had the GoldStar Lounge. Right at the intersection of 21 and 696 was The Yellow Rose.
Matsui
AG
Great idea
Matsui
AG
Check out the one in goliad
ABATTBQ87
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

BaileyAg said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

What a really cool idea.
Really wish i had done something like this during my dance hall days in college or just after
Never too late: I'm 57 and dating again after being divorced for 2 years. My GF & I love to dance and have the time to take weekend trips across the state.
NMAlamoAggie
AG
Cotton Club - Granger, TX

Broken Spoke - Austin, TX
h1ag
AG
I've had friends from Hondo/Castroville who always had really good things to say about Quihi Gun Club. I've driven by several times, and it looks up your alley, but I've never been in for any concerts personally
ABATTBQ87
AG
Here is a really good article on old Texas Dance Halls.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/step-right-up/
Burrus86
AG
Red River Station BBQ in Saint Jo, Texas. Great venue, but their BBQ is nothing to write home about. Picture an old lumber yard with the covered "outdoor storage" for the wood products. The west side of the storage area is a stage, the center third is the dance floor, and the east third is the bar. Everyone sits outside. I highly recommend this place.

https://redriverstation.com/shows
Potcake
AG
Not a dancehall per se but you may want to check out Ginny's Little Longhorn on a Sunday night
ABATTBQ87
AG
Burrus86 said:

Red River Station BBQ in Saint Jo, Texas. Great venue, but their BBQ is nothing to write home about. Picture an old lumber yard with the covered "outdoor storage" for the wood products. The west side of the storage area is a stage, the center third is the dance floor, and the east third is the bar. Everyone sits outside. I highly recommend this place.

Thanks!!! I'm a big fan of Asleep at the Wheel
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Floore's Country Store in Helotes is a fun stop. Maybe you can call it a dance hall? You can definitely dance there!

The White Elephant Saloon in the FW Stockyards has a small dance floor but a lot of history. You could spend the night at the nearby Hotel Drover, which is a treat.
MAROON
AG
RIP Tin Hall, Eddie's Country Ballroom, Gilley's

At one time Houston had three that were damn fun.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
PlanoAggie
AG
And Don't forget Texas Tumbleweed!

Just kidding lol
REMARCH11
AG
Need to hit Jon T's in Helotes
bam02
AG
Yup Floore's is a classic.
CowtownAg06
AG
The Kenney Store in Kenney just south of Brenham.

thekenneystore.com
NASAg03
Mercer Dancehall in Dripping Springs
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
lexofer
AG
StillNotAnAggie said:

Take her to Criders Amatuer Rodeo and dance on a Saturday night in Hunt Texas.
Just be warned you aren't going to see an historic dance hall there, it burned down a long time ago.

Stay late for the fights when the locals pick some funny looking city folks to tussle with. The foreign camp counselors are warned not to stay past 10pm. Last time I went 3 random women handed me their babies so they could run out into the parking lot to see the fight. I'm not saying any of this is a bad thing, it's kind of fun, I'm originally from Hunt and love Crider's.

Also the stuff the high schoolers do with their girlfriends in the woods by the river. Another time I was trying to convince a teenage bull rider that was coughing up blood to go to the hospital. His drunk 16yo girlfriend was screaming at him to get in the truck so they could go back home which was somewhere in west Texas.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
It's out of the way but Kosciusko Hall in the booming metropolis of Kosciusko, TX is the quintessential Texas dancehall.
Burrus86
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Burrus86 said:

Thanks!!! I'm a big fan of Asleep at the Wheel
We will be at Table #7. Stop by for a beer if you go!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.