When folks remember the 80's/90's era of Country Music, do they sleep on Clint Black?

1,874 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Apache
Post removed:
by user
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found his voice really annoying. Just didn't bring me any joy to listen to
TXAG 05
AG
Like the Rain
Good Run of Bad Luck
Killin Time

All great songs. Everyone is going to fall short of George Strait.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
He gets good air play here in H Town on the old stuff station. I do think he is a bit under rated, but the guys you listed kept putting out records that had some success. Clint seemed to just stop and I think that hurts his ranking. Clint had a fantastic ten year run. He is also rumored to be a real good guy, but I have never met him.
MAROON
AG
His first two studio albums hit #1 on the charts, and rightly so - they were both amazing. Not many artists had their first two go #1 - not even King George
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
BCSWguru
often the most talented are overlooked because they're worried about being good instead of trying to be famous. Dude is one of the best ever.
Bird Poo
AG
He was on one of those reality tv shows years ago. Either the mole or the apprentice. He tried way too hard to be the cliche good ole boy but his character was somewhat revealed several times on that show. My wife used to really like him but after that she thought he came across as too privileged and didn't like to get his hands dirty or work very hard.

Kind of fits with the fact that he hasn't really done anything for so long.
texasaggie2015
AG
Nothing's News is one of my favorite songs
Ulrich
Not me.
Gomer95
AG
Back for a while when Clint came on the scene and for several years after that, George Strait and Clint were the two main and most popular "Hat" male country singers with George obviously as the Main one with Clint second. I loved his music and still do and he's cool but to me I think it's even more impressive that he's co-written most of his songs.

I still like him a lot and he gave some free "FB online concerts" from his studio during the early months of the pandemic and it was just him and his guitar and I really enjoyed them. It was a pretty good distraction from the nuttiness in the world at that time. Maybe he's not bigger in people's minds now because as one poster said, he kind of slowed down a lot in the public eye at some point but I still like him a lot and listen to his older albums quite a bit because the cuts are great as well. And he does seem to be a great guy as well.
Big Cat `93
AG
His Merle impression on "Better Man" is pretty good.
AgTrip
Garth ruined country music in my opinion. I blame him and his "Chris Gaines" persona. It all went downhill when he came on board.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Garth ruined country music in my opinion.
Garth & Shania really got things going in the wrong direction.

Then Luke Bryan/Jason Aldean showed up about 10 years ago & drove the bus off the cliff.

Regarding Clint Black, he was solid back in the day. I'd put his first album up there with anyone's.
I think almost all of these were #1 hits off that record:

A Better Man
Killin Time
Nobody's Home
Nothin's News
Walkin' Away

BurnetAggie99
AgTrip said:

Garth ruined country music in my opinion. I blame him and his "Chris Gaines" persona. It all went downhill when he came on board.
Only song I will listen to of his that is country is Much to young to feel this damn old. Everything else he cut is Pop
McKelveysCurse
Was a member of a local (BCS) CW band circa 1980. I recall some guy named Eddie Rabbit. Lots of polkas as well. Caused me to enter the musical wilderness for almost 40 years. Then Nightwish at Wacken 2013 happened on youtube. Everything changed.
batchuser
Garth brooks is trash. Always came off as fake and he made Trisha yearwood fat
TXAG 05
AG
batchuser said:

Garth brooks is trash. Always came off as fake and he made Trisha yearwood fat
Wasn't she always a big gal?
Apache
AG
Quote:

he made Trisha yearwood fat

No Grasshopper, he did not.

The bomb was always there, you just never heard the ticking.
TxKng82
AG
Been jamming Clint Black the last week. Forgot how good he was.
Potcake
AG
I was a huge Strait fan in the 80's but Earl Thomas Conley was right up there. Keith Whitley could have been legendary had he defeated his demons.
texasaggie2015
AG
Wanna talk about underrated? Ricky Van Shelton
kyledr04
AG
Saw Clint black do a small show a few years ago. It was great. He's an awesome harmonica player.
AgPediRPh
AG
kyledr04 said:

Saw Clint black do a small show a few years ago. It was great. He's an awesome harmonica player.
Love the harmonica in "Put yourself in my shoes"
wangus12
AG
Got to grow up going out to Clint Black's place to help my dad breed horses for him. We'd get tickets to his shows all the time. He's a great guy
Proposition Joe
I've been to a lot of shows, but the hurricane benefit concert they had at bass hall 5-6 years back with Don Henley, Clint Black and Lyle Lovett was one of the best I've ever been to.

You forget just how many hits he has.

But yeah, he's certainly considered second rung compared to the others you mentioned.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
AgTrip said:

His first album is great.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
agenjake
I contend that Alan Jackson and Brooks & Dunn broke country music with the asshattery that are mix versions of Chattahoochee and Boot Scootin'Boogie.

Alan Jackson committed the murder down on music row .
ABATTBQ11
AG
Saw him at Gruene Hall several years ago. Indian co-worker walked into our area one day and says, "Who ees thees Cleent Block? Do you guys know who thees Cleent Block ees?" Another co-worker and I looked at him like he was an idiot and asked why. He said his wife got tickets because they wanted to see a real country western singer, but they couldn't go. I bought the tickets off him for like $100. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I contend that Alan Jackson and Brooks & Dunn broke country music with the asshattery that are mix versions of Chattahoochee and Boot Scootin'Boogie.
Pretty sure some Nashville exec mixed up the originals for the line dancing craze... they didn't put those out (maybe they agreed to it to cash more checks) (Also, you forgot Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart)

Country music has been full of pop crossovers & goofball songs since the 50's. It's just part of it. As long as there are still artists out there staying traditional, I'm happy. It's just too bad they aren't getting radio play, but I guess it isn't necessary anymore.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Pretty sure some Nashville exec mixed up the originals for the line dancing craze... they didn't put those out (maybe they agreed to it to cash more checks) (Also, you forgot Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart)

Country music has been full of pop crossovers & goofball songs since the 50's. It's just part of it. As long as there are still artists out there staying traditional, I'm happy. It's just too bad they aren't getting radio play, but I guess it isn't necessary anymore.

Tim McGraw deserves a good deal of the blame as well. Never forget Indian Outlaw. Stupid Shelton has taken this to a whole new level.
Apache
AG
I'll see your "Indian Outlaw" & raise you Tracy Bird - "Watermelon Crawl"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.