Operation Mincemeat

2,530 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MooreTrucker
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a great movie

I saw it because my boyfriend Colin Firth stars in it. But I did not know this was part of history. It is set during WWII and has a really good performances. Churchill is great and of course Colin Firth and Jason Isaacs are top notch,

It is on Netflix if you want to kill a couple of hours with spies, espionage, conflict, and deceit
Garrelli 5000
AG
Looking forward to this movie. I read the book several years ago and it was fascinating.
Take the trash out staff.
_lefraud_
AG
Pretty good movie minus one really awkward scene
Tanya 93
_lefraud_ said:

YEAH
Btron
AG
What's the scene about? And why awkward?
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
The first season of the podcast "World's Biggest Con" covers this story. Very entertaining!
powerbelly
AG
Btron said:

What's the scene about? And why awkward?
It's an awkward handjob scene.
bobinator
AG
This might be my favorite Netflix original.

Only issue I had was that with Isaacs and Beale in the same scene and even kind of dressed how they were in The Death of Stalin I kind of had Deja Vu for a second.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Spoiler tags!
aTmAg
AG
I find it interesting that Jean Leslie ended up marrying a man whose life she likely helped save. I imagine she couldn't tell him for a long time. Perhaps she did tell him and use that his whole life in a "can you take out the trash since I saved your life?" sort of way.
aTmAg
AG
I just read that the pseudo affair between Ewen Montagu and Jean Leslie was included because "it could have happened". I'm not a fan of that sort of thing. These people have real life relatives and now many people will assume their parents or grandparents were unfaithful. No reason to add love triangles to movies for the hell of it. Just like with Pearl Harbor, that is the worst part of the movie.
J. Walter Weatherman
aTmAg said:

I just read that the pseudo affair between Ewen Montagu and Jean Leslie was included because "it could have happened". I'm not a fan of that sort of thing. These people have real life relatives and now many people will assume their parents or grandparents were unfaithful. No reason to add love triangles to movies for the hell of it. Just like with Pearl Harbor, that is the worst part of the movie.

Agreed. I never understand why writers feel like they have to do this with movies that are based on true stories that are already extremely interesting and engaging as it is. Felt really out of place and I ended up fast forwarding through those scenes in the second half because it was really distracting from the actual stakes. Great movie other than that though.
Mike Elko
AG
aTmAg said:

I couldn't agree more. The entire love triangle/potential affair aspect felt contrived and forced. It was definitely the most unnecessary part of the movie... Other than the random HJ. Seriously:
LMCane
Tanya 93 said:

This is a great movie

I saw it because my boyfriend Colin Firth stars in it. But I did not know this was part of history. It is set during WWII and has a really good performances. Churchill is great and of course Colin Firth and Jason Isaacs are top notch,

It is on Netflix if you want to kill a couple of hours with spies, espionage, conflict, and deceit
I thought Churchill was not historically accurate at all

Gary Oldman was PERFECT as the real Churchill.

in late 1942 he was still a very vigorous man in his 60s.

the actor in this one seemed to be barely able to shuffle in his 70s.
MAROON
AG
Churchill was sort of machine but he had all kinds of ailments during the war years including a heart attack at the Whitehouse in December 1941, and a serious illness of pneumonia in December 1943.

Very much enjoyed the movie. The hand job scene was not needed of course. I thought the "romance" was not a big issue at all.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Southlake
But, didn't the Germans escape to Italy?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Meh.
As stated, the romance seemed forced and didn't serve the plot. No real plot twists, shockers or any adversity. Just old brits putting a plan together. Would have rather seen the plan done by Clarkson, Hammond and May. Not a waste of time, but a solid MBL meh.
LMCane
_lefraud_ said:

completely unnecessary

they are just throwing it right in our faces in Hollywood now
LMCane
Southlake said:

But, didn't the Germans escape to Italy?

this is mostly a phony movie

they made it sound like they got the Germans to move to Greece so that we wouldn't face resistance in Sicily.

unfortunately, REALITY is that the Germans in Sicily had 32,000 German troops and 30,000 Luftwaffe ground staff.

The main German formations were the Panzer Division Hermann Göring and the 15th Panzergrenadier Division.

The Panzer division had 99 tanks in two battalions but was short of infantry (with only three battalions), while the 15th Panzergrenadier Division had three grenadier regiments and a tank battalion with 60 tanks.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_invasion_of_Sicily#cite_note-26][26][/url]
MooreTrucker
AG
LMCane said:

_lefraud_ said:

completely unnecessary

they are just throwing it right in our faces in Hollywood now
Well it was proceeded by him using his talented hand on that woman that let him eavesdrop on Moreno's office, so it does tie in a bit.
MooreTrucker
AG
Just watched it. I didn't realize that it was a true story and just loved all the James Bond references.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.