Under the Banner of Heaven (series)

5,615 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Max Power
WestAustinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This series came out just in time to capture the broad social media interest in the mormon tik tok moms controversy around a just-revealed giant swinging community. I'm enjoying the series...not the tiktok.
Garrelli 5000
AG
If you've read "the god makers" you'll recognize not only a lot of their history, erasing/changing it, but also how far they go to hide it.

That book never stayed long on library shelves - LDS actively looked for it and the books would "disappear".

Lots of similarities to how Scientology is run.
Take the trash out staff.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Now a Warren Jeffs documentary on Netflix. Excellent stuff
BenFiasco14
AG
Great show! Want to read the book now.

Thought Garfield was excellent.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
GoAgs92
AG
2 episodes in and I'm kinda bored.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Does this get better?

I think I'm on episode 3 and it feels like it's dragging along. I like the story and seems like it could be a compelling series, but not convinced on the execution.
Duncan Idaho
If the insanity that is Mormonism doesn't fascinate you and watching someone slide from mainstream Mormonism into an FDLS cult doesn't grab you, it probably isn't for you.

I found it riveting and loved every episode.
NMAlamoAggie
AG
I really enjoyed this series. Just excellent all around. Check out Keep Sweet on Netflix if you haven't. Solid documentary on Warren Jeffs and the FLDS.
Max Power
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

If the insanity that is Mormonism doesn't fascinate you and watching someone slide from mainstream Mormonism into an FDLS cult doesn't grab you, it probably isn't for you.

I found it riveting and loved every episode.
Same, it's not quite True Detective Season 1 but I still really enjoyed it. I was hooked early, between the crime itself and all the FLDS stuff going on at the same time, I was captivated. I thought all the actors were great, Garfield, Edgar-Jones, and Russell in particular did tremendous work. Garfield is a guy that just does solid work in general, I already thought highly of Edgar-Jones from Normal People, but Russell really went for it and I was surprised by him.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.