Accidental shooting on movie set

38,829 Views | 505 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Decay
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One dead, one injured, gun they thought had blanks had live bullets.
What's interesting though is that they are implying it was one of the actors who did the shooting. This is an Alec Baldwin movie.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/female-crewmember-dies-on-new-mexico-set-of-alec-baldwin-film-rust-1234860416/
Stupid@17
AG
Like a Brandon Lee in the Crow situation here?

This is tragic. Someone went beyond **** up here. You don't mix up live and blank rounds.
An L of an Ag
AG
First thing I thought.
Potcake
AG
Why would you have live rounds on a movie set in the first place?
Sea Speed
AG
Potcake said:

Why would you have live rounds on a movie set in the first place?

This. It makes absolutely no sense unless you have armed security, but then its not like theirs would be sitting around in the props department. I truly don't know how this happens. We deal with ammunition at work and EVERY round is accounted for, and any guns being loaded or handled or anything are checked and double checked.
Sea Speed
AG
I wonder if the gun failed and that is what did it and not live rounds. Terrible either way.
Decay
AG
Hard to imagine this happening in a properly controlled set. Wonder if the rounds or guns were tampered with or got debris in them? Like if something went down the barrel, a blank will fire it out all the same. I'm picturing like a scene where stuff is flying around and rocks get in a barrel or that kind of thing.

Or it's intentional... That would be pretty messed up.
Average Joe
AG
If it was like Brandon Lee, then they used live rounds made into blanks and not actual blanks.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Confirmed: it was Baldwin who fired the gun

The director of photography was killed and the director wounded.

I mean.....how do you recover from something this tragic? I like Baldwin the actor but can't stand him when he gets political, but damn, this is gut-wrenching.
jeffk
AG
Geez. That's just awful.
C@LAg
GiveEmHellBill said:

I mean.....how do you recover from something this tragic? I like Baldwin the actor but can't stand him when he gets political, but damn, this is gut-wrenching.
why was he pointing the gun and the DOP or the director, and not a fellow actor?

at best I could see at the cameraman, but then again DOP may have been working that as they were staging out the scene.
MW13
AG
Something is not adding up here. A lot of somethings.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
C@LAg said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

why was he pointing the gun and the DOP or the director, and not a fellow actor?

at best I could see at the cameraman, but then again DOP may have been working that as they were staging out the scene.
No clue. There are so many details we don't have. Baldwin has been in the business since the early 80's, and has fired prop guns his entire career. There is no way (I would think) that he was being careless or reckless with a firearm. At least, I hope not.

I mean.....have we now seen the end of his career? If he was reckless, then maybe. If it truly was an accident, does this leave a lingering impact on his psyche? However it happed, whomever is to blame...he just killed someone.

I would imagine that this production is shut down for good. No way they continue making this movie.
Sea Speed
AG
if it was truly an accident, do you really think they shut down production?
C@LAg
blanks typically have nothing physical that gets propelled forward, although the shell/casing may still be ejected depending on the type of gun. And that is always to the side.

I know some old school blank had cotton wadding but I do not believe those were propelled forward because they would still have some velocity and could "damage" someone.

I mean, regular blanks can still kill at close range because there is still the pressure blast of the gunpowder going off, and that can do significant damage UP CLOSE.

And as someone already said, there is no excuse. Whatsoever. For live ammunition to be on set unless it is a security guard or a specific controlled shooting scene, and those typically do not involve the actors.

C@LAg
Sea Speed said:

if it was truly an accident, do you really think they shut down production?
seems to be a small vanity project for Baldwin.

Was written by him and the director.

So yeah, i could see it getting shut down.
jokershady
AG
People have been killed (accidentally) on movie sets before and they still finished the film….but the few occurrences can think of cameras were rolling and actors were involved….

Why this involves two people who were production cast members makes this a little stranger to say the least
oragator
I almost put something like "What if it was Baldwin" in the OP but didn't want to be ghoulish.

The thing now beyond all that's mentioned, is why when the first person got shot, he wouldn't have recognized that something was wrong, he still fired a second time it seems…unless somehow one bullet hit two people.
Sea Speed
AG
bullets can pass through people and strike others behind them.
Stupid@17
AG
One possibility is trash in the barrel or debris in the blank itself.

That fired within 20 ft at a camera for instance could go through part of the camera and create shrapnel which given where the camera is located (chest/neck level while watching) could easily cause a mortal wound.
fka ftc
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Stupid@17 said:

One possibility is trash in the barrel or debris in the blank itself.

That fired within 20 ft at a camera for instance could go through part of the camera and create shrapnel which given where the camera is located (chest/neck level while watching) could easily cause a mortal wound.
Yeah, I believe that's what happened with Brandon Lee. It was some of the wadding that got a little too compact, so it didn't burn in the flash and was expelled from the barrel that struck him. It may be that there were several pieces of debris that came out and spread out to hit two people who were close together?
hph6203
AG
Imagine a shot where they're trying to get a face on view of a gunfight. They're not going to stick another actors head to fill up the frame when Alec Baldwin is the biggest actor in the film.

Tho the other person asking how it was two people instead of one. It's an action film, they're not exactly sparing gunshots in those.

Feel bad for him.
JCA1
AG
C@LAg said:

blanks typically have nothing physical that gets propelled forward, although the shell/casing may still be ejected depending on the type of gun. And that is always to the side.

It's a western set in the 1880s. Unless it's some sci-fi time traveler western, the gun was a revolver, not a semi-automatic.
bam02
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

C@LAg said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

No clue. There are so many details we don't have. Baldwin has been in the business since the early 80's, and has fired prop guns his entire career. There is no way (I would think) that he was being careless or reckless with a firearm. At least, I hope not.

A bunch of experience with movie set prop guns and zero (likely) experience with actual firearms probably makes one 1000x more likely to be reckless with one.

And I'm sure there is someone on set who is in charge of safety (or even specifically firearm safety), but do you think POS elitist Baldwin is gonna be told by some nobody what to do?
'03ag
I genuinely don't understand why the gun would be capable of firing a live round.

Make a prop gun that operates purely mechanically. More than doable these days.

There are home training "guns" that use CO2 cartridges to cycle the slide backwards to simulate recoil. Surely someone can make something more complex that simulates the flash, recoil, and casing ejection of a real gun.
Gigem314
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Horrible. Personal feelings for Baldwin aside, I can't imagine what he's feeling right now.
Carlo4
AG
Sea Speed said:

bullets can pass through people and strike others behind them.
Carlo4
AG
Horrible tragedy. Loved Alec as an actor, from Red October to 30 Rock. I can't even begin to imagine what he's feeling right now.
Decay
AG
Also there's nothing that says it has to derail the thread.

Someone mentioned it's a western and most likely revolvers, so that gives us some context.

You're definitely needing blanks because some of the other prop styles (like the CO2 mentioned) will be pretty unimpressive without the muzzle blast and smoke and there's no slide action/shell ejection to help sell the shot.

Still need more details though. Maybe the type of gun made it a harder type of cartridge to find blanks for? Maybe they had to make rounds specifically for the movie and something went wrong in their construction.
Leggo My Elko
AG
[If you have to ask if it is too soon then it is too soon. We are not going to clean up this thread again without giving out bans. -Staff]
Rudyjax
AG
Why would he point a gun, blanks or no, at the director?
powerbelly
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

Why would he point a gun, blanks or no, at the director?
My guess is that he was pointing the gun at a camera that the director was behind.
Sea Speed
AG
I assume there will be civil suits and baldwin could really lose his ass. A quick search shows an estimated net worth of 60 million.
powerbelly
AG
Sea Speed said:

I assume there will be civil suits and baldwin could really lose his ass. A quick search shows an estimated net worth of 60 million.
I doubt it. As long as he was following the safety procedures then he should be clear.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.