Bigger icon - Batman or Bond?

3,177 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Stop screenwatching!"
powerbelly
AG
BowSowy said:

For anyone who has nostalgia for that N64 Goldeneye game - do yourselves a favor and do not try playing it again. I have fond, fond memories playing that game with my friends. I tried it again 3-4 years ago and it doesn't hold up, at all.
This is the truth.
BowSowy
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

"Stop screenwatching!"
Remote mines + screenpeaking was my absolute favorite
AgfromHOU
AG
Great breakdown.

Aside from inflation I do think Spider-Man being a more family friendly character helps.

Not only did Batman & Robin do so bad at the box office, it absolutely affected Batman Begins. I love Batman and didn't even see it in theaters because of B&R. I wasn't quite old enough to be on social media and hear about it, but was kicking myself after I saw it for the first time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hey man, I'll still fire up Goldeneye and have some fun with my entire 10 frames per second.

I'm a little bummed it's not coming to Switch N64 Online.
DallasTeleAg
Because the controls suck.

And Perfect Dark was better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Someone's mad he sucked at GoldenEye.
Philo B 93
Bond didn't have "The Superfriends" on Saturday mornings in the 70s, a campy 60s live action series, or a serious 90s cartoon that was watchable by adults.
jokershady
AG
Great debate question….I think you'd have to break this thing down into categories….for example, which franchise is better regarding:

Best Villians
Best supporting characters
Best running story/plot
Best gadgets
Best music/theme

And that's just off the top of my head….when you start breaking it down it's not so clear an answer for either side
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This. Curious why they think it doesn't hold up. It's the same game now as it was then, and it's awesome.
SgtBarbarossa
https://www.ioi.dk/project-007/

I didn't realize that ioi (Hitman series) was doing a new James Bond game. I would love to kill some Bond villains via Agent 47's means.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

This. Curious why they think it doesn't hold up. It's the same game now as it was then, and it's awesome.

Going from two sticks to control movement back to one sucks IMO.
Bruce Almighty
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't think it holds up but I don't think any of those early first person 3D games hold up. Ocarina of Time was the greatest game ever when it came out, but today, I think Link to the Past on SNES is a better game. Over time, the SNES has become the better system while the N64 is showing its age. I haven't played N64 in probably 6-7 years though, so it will be interesting to see what I think when it comes out on the Switch.
jbanda
AG
Class of '03. I loved my SNES and still play my SNES classic with my kids. I never even owned a N64.
hunter2012
AG
BowSowy said:

For anyone who has nostalgia for that N64 Goldeneye game - do yourselves a favor and do not try playing it again. I have fond, fond memories playing that game with my friends. I tried it again 3-4 years ago and it doesn't hold up, at all.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
jokershady said:

Great debate question….I think you'd have to break this thing down into categories….for example, which franchise is better regarding:

Best Villians
Best supporting characters
Best running story/plot
Best gadgets
Best music/theme

And that's just off the top of my head….when you start breaking it down it's not so clear an answer for either side
Villains is just about a toss-up. Everyone knows the Joker. Throw in the Penguin, the Riddler, Bane, Two-Face, Scarecrow, Raz Al-ghul(sp?) and that is one hell of a lineup. Counter that with baddies such as Blofeld, Auric Goldfinger, Odd Job, Jaws, and even Max Zorin, but I'll give Batman the edge simply on name recognition.

Supporting characters: Robin, Commish Gordon, pretty meh. ***** Galore, Dr. Goodhead, and Xenia Onatopp - no contest here based simply on the names.

Running story/plot - gotta go with Batman. The Bond films are typically the same basic story.

Gadgets - another tough one considering Q branch always has some explosive teddy bear, signature gun, or the like, not to mention the awesome cars outfitted with the most impressive array of defensive (and offensive) weaponry. Batman brings us things like a cool car, a neat jet and maybe even a boat, as well as the batarang, gauntlets, and that utility belt. Going with 007.

Music/Theme - 007 wins hands down on theme. Music is much more hit-or-miss for Bond. There have been some fantastic scores, notably No Time To Die but I also love You Only Live Twice, Moonraker, The Living Daylights, and Licence to Kill; those can easily be offset by an awful score in Goldeneye, though. Batman has always had great scores, but his theme is less recognizable. Batman wins for the scoring department.

* I'll add another thought - cross-over actors. Not sure how many there may have been, but there is one that is a big name who played villains in both - Christopher Walker (Max Zorin in A View to a Kill, and Max Schrek in Batman Returns). He was the best thing in the former, the second best thing (to Michelle Pfeiffer) in the latter.
DallasTeleAg
You stink of the type who chooses Oddjob.
DallasTeleAg
... because Perfect Dark is better? It is a standard joke about Goldeneye having crappy controls, with the N64 controller. You must not be nerdy enough to partake in such conversations.

In all ways, Perfect Dark was a better game. Goldeneye was great and all, and I played the hell out of it. But Perfect Dark basically improved on all aspects of Goldeneye. Co-op main game. Extremely customizable multiplayer, with a nearly limitless amount of game mode with customizable bots. Fantastic assortment of weapons.

Anyway, back to the conversation at hand: If you were to walk up to just about anyone, could they tell you more facts about Batman or Bond?

I would also argue that Batman has MUCH more depth to him, as a character.

AgfromHOU
AG
For me:

Best Villians - Batman
Best supporting characters - Batman if comics are included. Bond if just talking movies.
Best running story/plot - tie
Best gadgets - Bond. Spy gadgets are awesome.
Best music/theme - Bond has a theme, Batman does not
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sorry but the score for Goldeneye is awesome.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Quote:

Music/Theme - 007 wins hands down on theme.
Batman the Animated Series would like a word....
Chipotlemonger
AG
BowSowy said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

"Stop screenwatching!"

Yea I could have guessed that.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Quote:

As someone who has been listening to movie scores since the summer of '77, I can state emphatically that I have not once heard a theme from Batman the Animated Series (given that I've never seen any of that). 007 still wins hands down.
TXAG 05
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Quote:

The theme song was just a rework of the Batman '89 theme. Still good though.
jokershady
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Best music/theme - Bond has a theme, Batman does not
woah there….not saying I disagree that bond is better…..cause with music it's not even a competition that bond is better….

But come on man….Batman's got a theme song

BowSowy
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

BowSowy said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

"Stop screenwatching!"

Yea I could have guessed that.
I vividly remember you getting really upset over my dope remote mine strategy
immortal_kumquat
I seems like more Batman fans would go see a Bond movie than vice versa, so I'll say Bond is the bigger franchise, more "crossover" appeal.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Spider-Man has made more money than Batman with fewer movies. Not saying he's a bigger icon, but he belongs in the conversation.

This. Spider-Man is the bigger icon than Batman, and has been ever since the movies after the Toby Mcguire trilogy started getting produced.

The Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy was tops, but fell to Spider-Man after that
AgfromHOU
AG
Raimi trilogy was before Nolan, and was not as good through all three movies. ASM with Garfield was so good it got cancelled before its third installment. Current Spider-Man has the MCU to boost it (Iron Man for the first two and Doctor Strange for the third).

I would argue it's just that the Marvel brand is much bigger than Batman at the moment, with Spider-Man being its most popular hero.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I feel like I see more people wearing Superman shirts than anything else. Which is pretty incredible when considering how many gaffes have been made with him in the last 20 years. Not that I don't think Henry Cavill hasn't been good, but the mustache CGI thing and being about even on the good movie to bad movies will always tarnish what I think was a pretty good Superman.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd go
1. Batman
2. Spider-Man
3. Superman

As far as superhero popularity rankings. They're the only S tier heroes. Everything else is a tier below.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'd go
1. Batman
2. Spider-Man
3. Superman

As far as superhero popularity rankings. They're the only S tier heroes. Everything else is a tier below.

I feel like with anyone under 40, Wolverine belongs in that group.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.