***DOPESICK*** Hulu Original - Opiod Epidemic

3,485 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by BadMoonRisin
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Going to try and watch tonight. 3 episodes out so far. It's about the Opioid epidemic. Presumably Perdue and Oxy, but maybe that's just a small piece.

Michael Keaton, Rosario Dawson, Peter Saarsgard.

If this topic interests you -- there's a great documentary called The Crime of the Century (HBO) and another called The Pharmacist (Netflix).
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
PatAg
AG
First 3 episodes were pretty good, I thought
BadMoonRisin
AG
Only had enough time to watch the first. I thought it was well done.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Liking it so far. I still can't tell if they are trying to portray the CEO as a maniacal villain, or an idiot with a noble cause.
Sapper Redux
Champ Bailey said:

Liking it so far. I still can't tell if they are trying to portray the CEO as a maniacal villain, or an idiot with a noble cause.

If you read Empire of Pain, Richard Sackler comes off as an awkward rich kid who grew into a self-righteous ***** with no ethics or morals where money was involved.
The Dog Lord
AG
Haven't watched this yet but have watched both of the documentaries you mentioned and highly recommend them.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The Pharmacist is gut wrenching. I think the original New Orleans Times-Picayune article that it's based on is still online if you want the general story in less time.
Sea Speed
AG
Thanks, gonna check it out. Here is the article for those interested.

https://www.nola.com/crime__courts/article_934b7d20-a78a-535a-8691-26cfc7f9bee7.html?utm_source=reddit.com
Callate Donnie
The portrayal of the amalgamated doctor character by Keaton hits way to close to home.

In episode 5 when he asked, "do you have any pills," it was all too real. Here is a man whose life is in shambles as a result of addiction, yet he still goes to humiliating lengths to obtain drugs. I've seen it in person and it is scary. It made me nauseous watching it because you saw it coming a mile away.
tylercsbn9
AG
Episode 5 was the best yet.

This is one of the best shows in the last year or so IMO.
Geriatric Punk
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

Episode 5 was the best yet.

This is one of the best shows in the last year or so IMO.
Fully. If you don't have a visceral reaction to that, then you may be dead inside.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Houston Lee
AG
Dopesick is must see TV IMO.

I have family members and close friends that have family members that have gotten addicted to opioids. These pills were prescribed by doctors like candy nationwide for years and years. Highly addictive and Purdue Pharma set the table for deceiving Doctors that their pill was not as addictive.

The pill use…the building up of a tolerance to the pills to the point that you need higher dosage to manage the pain…then the opioids themselves start causing the "pain", but you don't realize that pills are the cause. The users have nothing physically wrong with them anymore, but are in tremendous "pain" in their head caused by the pills!…the need for more and more…the withdrawals…the wanting to commit suicide because the "pain" is so bad. The migraine headaches caused by the pills. The constant anxiety of when and where you are going to get your next pill. The mental and phycological damage that causes the brain to fixate on getting another pill. That is all these people can think of…

The FDA is a joke.

Good people that were not "drug users" become so.

This series does an excellent job of depicting these people and what this drug and drugs like it do to them. They will forever be addicts fighting day by day to keep off the drug. It is a lifelong fight and one of the hardest drugs to stay clean from.

Thank goodness I have never been an addict, but I have seen enough of it up close.
Psychag
AG
Watched first two episodes. Definitely a must watch.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
This show makes me angrier and angrier every episode. Not having read the book or heard the story before, I'm assuming this ends up like the banking collapse of 2008 where nobody important goes to jail. Will be pleasantly surprised if proven wrong.
Sapper Redux
Don't hold your breath.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Kept me up about 2-3 hrs too late last night. A little bit hokey, but entertaining enough.
PatAg
AG
Episode 7.....damn...
chick79
AG
This show is so effing great! One of my favorites in quite awhile.
wildmen09
AG
Just started episode 1. Awesome!
dreyOO
Just ripped thru this whole thing. Wow. That has awesome and brutal. The Sacklers can burn in hell.

If they make a season 2, I'm curious what the storyline will follow.
wbt5845
AG
I had OxyContin prescribed by a doc for a minor medical procedure. They gave me like 20.

I took one and hated it. Decided to just gut it out with Tylenol and I was fine.

So I have 19 leftovers.
Macarthur
I finally got around to this. Wow, what a tough but necessary watch. Very well done. F Purdue and the Sacklers.
BadMoonRisin
AG
netflix has a similar show out now. They are very similar, but kind of told differently. I thought it was good.

Painkiller.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.