Let's talk about The Beatles being overrated.

11,337 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bottlehead90
PipelineMoeNorman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What you say GB?
Rocagnante
AG
Agreed. They're overrated. I don't hate them and like some of their stuff, but if you ask me who is the best rock band of all time my answer is Led Zeppelin.
Rocagnante
AG
Oh yeah and in before all the Beatles fan boys descend to defend the **** out of them.
Quad Dog
AG
Just having the argument about a band that stopped making new music in 1969 means they aren't overrated.
Ag 11
AG
PipelineMoeNorman said:

What you say GB?

This is the entertainment board
PipelineMoeNorman
CrottyKid
AG
The Beatles music doesn't hold up, but literally every commercially successful band after them was influenced by them.
DallasTeleAg
Never been a fan. Give me the Mighty Zep!
oragator
Yeah, I guess moving over a billion units makes you overrated, as does selling 177 million more units than any band ever in the US ever has, 20 number one hits (a record), and McCartney is the richest pure musician ever.
But outside of that, yeah they're the suck.
PipelineMoeNorman
Good point
TXAG 05
AG
CrottyKid said:

The Beatles music doesn't hold up.

That's just false
C@LAg
Stones are better.
oragator
A more serious answer….it's like watching Citizen Kaine or Casablanca and thinking they're boring or sucky. Or watching Star Wars and thinking the FX sucks. Or even seeing Pong as the dumbest game ever, when you wouldn't have any modern video game without it.
Things that revolutionize their genre by definition don't look as good later because every future endeavor it influences takes it a step further.
Rocagnante
AG
oragator said:

Yeah, I guess moving over a billion units makes you overrated, as does selling 177 million more units than any band ever in the US ever has, 20 number one hits (a record), and McCartney is the richest pure musician ever.
But outside of that, yeah they're the suck.

You sound kind of like a sip defending them as the biggest brand of all time in college football because they generate the most revenue.
Sailor
I'm gonna get killed for this, but their best music came after they broke up into their solo acts, Paul McCartney and Wings, and George Harrison's work is MUCH better.
Bruce Almighty
AG
These arguments are always weird. Just because you personally don't like them doesn't mean the rest of the world is wrong with how they rate them.
C@LAg
Bruce Almighty said:

These arguments are always weird. Just because you personally don't like them doesn't mean the rest of the world is wrong with how they rate them.

it is an entirely subjective question.

any given answer is the right answer.
Bruce Almighty
AG
C@LAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

it is an entirely subjective question.

any given answer is the right answer.

I disagree. I'm not a huge fan of The Rolling Stones, but I still think they are a top 5 band of all time. Despite my opinion of their music, I don't think they are overrated. I'm just not a fan. Maybe I have a different definition than others with the word overrated, but I always took it as when some says a person is overrated, they aren't deserving of their reputation.
Philo B 93
Looking back, it's clear how special the Beatles were. None of the bands of that era (post-Elvis in his prime) could have done what they did. Not the Monkees, the Animals, the Kinks, The Beach Boys, the McCoys, the Troggs, CSN&Y, Cream or anyone who played Woodstock could put out that many timeless songs. I love the Stones more than the Beatles, but if they had disbanded in 1970 like the Beatles, they wouldn't share the same legendary status. A big part of their status comes from longevity while still making good music.
snowdog90
Holy Lord, no. The Beatles are not overrated. My 22-year old, who loves Rush, Yes, The Who, Zep, Incubus said something to the effect of the Beatles being overrated. I said, "go listen to Abbey Road and Sergeant Pepper and The Whie Album and then tell me what you think."

He laughed as if to say "whatever." About 2 months later, unprompted, he said, "Dad, you were right, The Beatles are awesome."

To each their own, you may not like them, but The Beatles are not overrated.
Another Doug
AG
The most important band ever.

American R&B is awesome
The Beatles had the talent and personality to make it palatable to the world and kept it cool and new
Their huge success gave them the ability to do whatever they want
Their continued success allowed record companies to give other acts more freedom.
And that gave birth to the greatest musical decade ever

And by they way, there is a ton of Beatles music that are standards that will never die.
Rocagnante
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I'm actually surprised at how rational the discussion has been. You usually gave at least one guy who just absolutely goes apoplectic if you don't immediately acknowledge the Beatles as the best band ever and talk about the religious experience you had the first time you listened to them.
MGS
The original boy band.
wangus12
AG
I won't say they're overrated. It's clear how much influence they've had on music. I will say that it just wasn't good to me.
The Porkchop Express
Little known fact, Prince wrote most of their songs.
maroon barchetta
helloimustbegoing said:

Little known fact, Prince wrote most of their songs.

Can't decide if username checks out
oragator
Not really a fair comparison IMO.
Texas is the "biggest name" because they are the biggest school in the largest football crazy state. If Alabama had the same population as Texas they would be number one. Neither would dominate merchandise sales in California for instance.
The Beatles were a worldwide phenomenon who dominated sales in countless countries, including the US.
They are a unique phenomenon In the history of music.
boy09
AG
snowdog90 said:

Holy Lord, no. The Beatles are not overrated. My 22-year old, who loves Rush, Yes, The Who, Zep, Incubus said something to the effect of the Beatles being overrated. I said, "go listen to Abbey Road and Sergeant Pepper and The Whie Album and then tell me what you think."

He laughed as if to say "whatever." About 2 months later, unprompted, he said, "Dad, you were right, The Beatles are awesome."
And that kid's name -- Albert Einstein.
FancyKetchup14
AG
The Beatles are timeless. Their arrangements aren't anything complicated but they have some of the most recognizable tunes ever.
Duncan Idaho
The thing that impresses me most about the Beatles is how quickly (7 years) they put out much music (13 albums) with such diversity (meet the Beatles vs revolver) all while remaining both commercially and critically successful.

I am having a hard time coming up with anyone with a similar track record.
TXAG 05
AG
7 years, not 17. The amount of material and the progression is unreal. They went from Love Me Do to Tomorrow Never Knows in under 4 years.
Duncan Idaho
That was a pretty significant typo
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
All I know is that if you really want to piss off a hipster, tell them you think Ringo should automatically be included as one of the top 5 drummers of all time due to the Beatles contributions to rock music.
CoolaidWade
AG
Worst band ever.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Arguably their worst Album "Magical Mystery Tour" has: "Strawberry Field Forever", "Penny Lane" and "All You Need is Love" on it. So I vote not overrated at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.