AMC CEO mentions sports on the big screen

3,439 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by InternetFan02
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why would I pay $10 to watch a football game where they charge me $6 for a soda and $8 for a .20 bucket of popcorn? For the price of food and drink I would rather go to a good sports bar and enjoy some Buffalo wings or burgers and beers for the same price and there is no admission fee.

I don't see any way that would work.
mic suede
Whistle past the graveyard.
PatAg
AG
Most of the theaters you are going to now have actual food and alcohol, not standard movie concessions. Also my experience is going to them in DFW, they didn't charge to attend.
Tibbers
By actual food you mean pretzels, nachos, hot dogs and uhh, what else? I've worked at theaters. You can call it food if you like but it's not of the same quality as a restaurant at all. No way, no how. Also, beer options would be terribly limited and again, it's all going to be massively overpriced brotha. It's a worse wheel. It's also a signal that movies aren't a big enough draw to keep them afloat.
PatAg
AG
Tibbers said:

By actual food you mean pretzels, nachos, hot dogs and uhh, what else? I've worked at theaters. You can call it food if you like but it's not of the same quality as a restaurant at all. No way, no how. Also, beer options would be terribly limited and again, it's all going to be massively overpriced brotha. It's a worse wheel. It's also a signal that movies aren't a big enough draw to keep them afloat.
I guess you are old or dont get out much anymore? Or you live somewhere stuck in 1994
mic suede
Yeah, they're just killing it in 2021. Can't find empty seats. Scalpers for 8pm and 10pm shows.
Tibbers
PatAg said:

Tibbers said:

I guess you are old or dont get out much anymore? Or you live somewhere stuck in 1994

Enlighten us then on the options at your local cinema.
TyHolden
AG
Movie eateries have tried this several times. It's not that great.
bagger05
AG
I think it works great for some sporting events but not others. Biggest factor to me is if there's only one thing on that people want to watch. World Series games, UFC fights, and World Cup matches are good examples.

For a random college football Saturday or NFL Sunday there are pros and cons but I think the bad outweighs the good.

The biggest benefit I can see is you can watch it in a community type setting but you have an assigned seat so you can show up right when it starts. If A&M is playing at 2:30, to get a spot at a decent bar I have to be there about 11:30. By noon the place is packed with people watching the 11:00 games. which bleed over into the 2:30 slot and most people don't leave right when their game is over. I don't typically mind spending a whole Saturday watching football at the bar but it's not always practical.

The downside is that I want to be able to watch multiple games at once. Bars are packed because some are there to watch A&M-Bama, some are there to watch Ohio State-Purdue, some are just there to be out at the bar, etc. Seems like it'd be hard to pack a theater for one game.
CW Griswold
Tibbers said:

PatAg said:

Tibbers said:

https://www.studiomoviegrill.com/menu/city-centre
Buck Compton
AG
Just to add my local theater.

https://bb7c2366-8bd7-4c1a-85f5-9e109fa3c5a8.filesusr.com/ugd/ed7bda_af9bc285a6104c4da010f41c6e3ec0ca.pdf
Petrino1
Tibbers said:

PatAg said:

Tibbers said:

Have you not been to the movies lately lol? Theatres like Studio Movie Grille, Star Cinema Grill, Alamo Drafthouse all have full food menus with restaurant quality variety. Its basically a restaurant/bar inside a movie theatre. You should try it out.
Tibbers
ea1060 said:

Tibbers said:

PatAg said:

Tibbers said:

Have you not been to the movies lately lol? Theatres like Studio Movie Grille, Star Cinema Grill, Alamo Drafthouse all have full food menus with restaurant quality variety. Its basically a restaurant/bar inside a movie theatre. You should try it out.

And here I thought the OP was talking about AMC.
WestAustinAg
AG
FarmerJohn said:

I tried that once at Alamo Drafthouse. Not crowded and kind of boring. We also lost 77-0, so that didn't help.
Literally the worst televised Aggie sporting event in the history of our school. Whoof.
Tobias Funke
AG
I've gone to a couple of UFCs and I watched the last few episodes of LOST at the Angelika in Dallas. Pretty fun experience for both! I'd definitely consider a college football Saturday at a theater.
CW Griswold
Tibbers said:

ea1060 said:

Tibbers said:

PatAg said:

Tibbers said:

Your comments don't mention AMC. Your comments indicate you are talking about food at theaters in general. Anyone responding to you does not need to limit their responses to only food at AMC theaters.
Buck Compton
AG
Tibbers said:

ea1060 said:

Tibbers said:

PatAg said:

Tibbers said:

So what if he was?

https://www.amctheatres.com/food-and-drink/dine-in/explore-menu
InternetFan02
AG
Watched the 1993 NFC Championship game at the Granada theater in Dallas with my Dad and a crowd of drunk Cowboys fans...all time great childhood memory
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.