AMC CEO mentions sports on the big screen

3,474 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by InternetFan02
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting cross thread here between the sports forums and our beloved entertainment board.

How interested would you be in watching a sporting event in a theater?

Quad Dog
AG
I'm shocked this hasn't been a thing forever.
Serve beer, nachos, and show a football game. Seems like easy money to me.
West Point Aggie
AG
When you can watch at home in UHD in your 55 to 105" screen!? Seems about as appealing as the sippy network!
Let’s Go Brandon!
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
West Point Aggie said:

When you can watch at home in UHD in your 55 to 105" screen!? Seems about as appealing as the sippy network!
How is this different when it comes to movies?
superunknown
AG
Quad Dog said:

Want to say San Antonio A&M club had game day viewings at a theater a couple years ago, rented out a screen there or something. And concerts and sporting events used to do the closed circuit thing a while back in theaters too. Why not now?
AgfromHOU
AG
Market this to various alumni clubs and I bet you find some customers.

A&M clubs usually have weekly watch parties during the football season at bars. I wonder what it would be like in a theater.
tx1c
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Market this to various alumni clubs and I bet you find some customers.

A&M clubs usually have weekly watch parties during the football season at bars. I wonder what it would be like in a theater.
It's fun.
I wish they still did it (here in San Antonio).
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think the VR tech is going to kill this. When enough people have a VR set and can watch tv in a VR chat room with their buddies, it will probably be the end for a lot of movie theaters too.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I watched a World Cup game at the Alamo Drafthouse once. Was a fantastic way to watch, but the place was mostly empty.
Thanks and gig'em
astros4545
AG
Bring Gambling kiosks and college football saturdays to movie theaters

I would never leave
TCTTS
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I think the VR tech is going to kill this. When enough people have a VR set and can watch tv in a VR chat room with their buddies, it will probably be the end for a lot of movie theaters too.

Not a chance. Nothing will replace actually leaving the house and sitting in a real theater, in person, with fellow human beings, free of something that wraps around your head. That's not to say increasingly more people won't do VR screenings, nor is it to say theater numbers won't dwindle. But people have been predicting the end of movie theaters for decades now, yet they've always survived. Until virtual reality is basically The Matrix and indistinguishable from real life, we're going to crave tangible, authentic, communal entertainment experiences in the real world.
brew82
Went to watch a ufc fight at creekside theater in New Braunfels several years ago. Theater was packed. Lot of fun. They stopped doing it for some reason. I'd definitely go again.
mic suede
OldShadeOfBlue said:

West Point Aggie said:

It's not but movies (prior to 2020) had an exclusive theatre window where you could only see the film there. Sports are everywhere. This idea is a loser and in competition with free (home) viewing, sports bars, and actually attending the game.
Ag 11
AG
I remember going to the movie theater to watch the A&M at tceh football game when I was a student. Either 2007 or 2009, can't remember. It was fun, place was completely full cheering for the Ags on the big screen
schmendeler
AG
astros4545 said:

Bring Gambling kiosks and college football saturdays to movie theaters

I would never leave

Now that would be fun
toucan82
I might be into it at a place with more food options but not at a typical theater
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I can only see this being interesting for some kind of group watch party, where they'd probably pre-order from a catering menu or something.
mic suede
toucan82 said:

I might be into it at a place with more food options but not at a typical theater

Like a restaurant or sports bar
FarmerJohn
AG
I tried that once at Alamo Drafthouse. Not crowded and kind of boring. We also lost 77-0, so that didn't help.
Sea Speed
AG
Quad Dog said:

I was convinced this was going to be a large part of the new theater business model when all the covid dust settled, especially at the ones that serve beer. Our favorite local theater was showing aatros games but has since closed. Surely if they are allowed to show it at their bars that have TVs the theater screen would just be a continuation of that? Don't know. I think its a great idea even though I wouldn't partake.
EclipseAg
AG
A few years ago, the Santikos theater near us played every A&M game on the big screen. The local A&M club came out and gave away door prizes, etc. The concessions featured Aggie-themed specials. It was really cool.

Admission was free.

The first few games weren't well attended, but as word got out, by the end of the season the theater was close to full.

Then Santikos sold the theater and they stopped showing the games.
EclipseAg
AG
Also, Star Cinema Grille in College Station used to show A&M's away games. I watched A&M-Clemson there a couple of years ago. Don't know if they still do.
Tibbers
Was it fun? Just seems like a costly way to watch a game. Paying that much for food and beer you can do yourself and watching it with a bunch of randos seems strange to me.
Tibbers
Agreed. I can't wait to have that experience in a great way. So far the tech hasn't caught up yet but it will and soon.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

Champ Bailey said:

Not a chance. Nothing will replace actually leaving the house and sitting in a real theater, in person, with fellow human beings, free of something that wraps around your head. That's not to say increasingly more people won't do VR screenings, nor is it to say theater numbers won't dwindle. But people have been predicting the end of movie theaters for decades now, yet they've always survived. Until virtual reality is basically The Matrix and indistinguishable from real life, we're going to crave tangible, authentic, communal entertainment experiences in the real world.

I'm not saying that movie theaters will be completely wiped out, but I think they will be more novelty experiences eventually, similar to a drive in theater. There are two experiences I don't think VR can replicate, and that is sitting in a crowded theater for Horror movies and Comedies.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I watched the USC vs. t.u. Rose Bowl at the Granada Theater. Place was packed with sips and then there were three USC fans and me. Had a blast until the end.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I've watched playoff games for Mavs and Cowboys at grandada. That's also where we normally go for the super bowl. Great place to watch games.
Topher17
AG
Quad Dog said:

While I agree, I really like having the ability to flip between games when there is a lull in the game I'm most focused on or that game is a blowout.
I could definitely see this working for alumni clubs and groups that want to watch one big game together. I think it would also be great for the Saturday of the CFP games. I think it would be a blast to go with friends and watch those huge games on the big screen. I just don't see myself doing something like this on a normal October Saturday.
EclipseAg
AG
Tibbers said:

Was it fun? Just seems like a costly way to watch a game. Paying that much for food and beer you can do yourself and watching it with a bunch of randos seems strange to me.
Yeah ... I really enjoyed it.

The crowd brought an energy that was cool and people didn't really talk or disrupt the game. Plus they had servers so you didn't even have to get up. They came by, took your order and brought you food/drinks. Seats were comfortable and watching on the big screen was awesome.
EclipseAg
AG
For the many people here who are into DCI, Fathom Events always broadcasts the semi-finals of the DCI World Championships in theaters. I've been a couple of times to those, too. Lots of band nerds.
YouBet
AG
Considering the annual meltdowns we have here in Dallas about our local alumni chapters choice in game watching venues, I'm surprised no one has pushed this idea.

Instead they apparently choose the worst dbag club you can possibly pick and have it there.
aggivedave16
I grew up overseas and this was common practice. Of course over there, it was for soccer games and maybe Olympics. But they didn't care about copyright laws, royalties, or anything like that.

It's was fun and more like a stadium experience vs a movie. Lots of cheering, standing, etc.
mazag08
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

West Point Aggie said:

Some of us don't get to theaters, so it's not different.
jokershady
AG
Quad Dog said:

Alamo Drafthouse when it was located in West Oaks Mall in Houston did this all the time for big football games.they however did not charge admission so it was free.

Course they knew you were gonna buy beer and food so they didn't care.
Quad Dog
AG
They probably can't charge admission without express written permission from the NFL.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.