What's the best Rolling Sones song?

3,235 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 4stringAg
The Kraken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gimme Shelter gets my vote. Love their country songs, too...which are more country than most of the "country" being put out these days.

I've seen the Steel Wheels tour mentioned a few times but not one of my favorite Stones songs which happens to be off that album...Rock and a Hard Place

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
4stringAg
AG
My faves:

Gimme Shelter
***** (female dog that rhymes with Witch, LOL)
Do do do do do do (Heartbreaker)
KidDoc
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Sympathy for the Devil is #1.
+1 vote for this
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Growing up I was a sucker for Paint it Black, Wild Horses, and Gimme Shelter. Those are probably their most emotionally striking songs. Gateways to the rest of their catalog.

Nowadays I'd probably say Tumbling Dice. It perfectly sums up what the Stones wanted to sound like I think.

I'll also throw in Miss You as a very underrated but sexy as hell groove that hasn't been mentioned yet.
DallasTeleAg
Maybe not their best, but one of my favorites on my "get hyped" mix as I'm heading out to the bars is Rip This Joint

snowdog90
LawHall88 said:

Songs - three way tie: Jumpin' Jack Flash, Dead Flowers, Monkey Man
Album - Sticky Fingers

And I prefer this live version of Dead Flowers over the album version:

Thanks for posting this. I somehow never heard this song until this post, and I can't freaking stop watching it. Mick Taylor is amazing, his lead on this song just has me mesmerized.

I'll admit I was not a Stones fan in my youth. It took me a long time to appreciate the Stones, as well as Zeppelin and The Who. I eventually came around.

My pick before I heard Dead Flowers (and can't stop listening to it) would be Gimme Shelter with Ruby Tuesday close behind and then Honky Tonk Women.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Love the Stones. One of the best bands ever. I love to see Charlie Watts behind the kit just plugging away, one of the most underrated drummers of all time.

As far as favorite, I guess I could give a Top 20 - 25 (in no particular order):

19th Nervous Breakdown
Mother's Little Helper
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Paint it Black
Sympathy for the Devil
Sister Morphine
Moonlight Mile
Far Away Eyes
Honky Tonk Women
Can't you Hear me Knockin'
Gimme Shelter
Dead Flowers (the cover by Steve Earle is pretty good, too)
Wild Horses
Brown Sugar
Angie
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Street Fighting Man
Miss You
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
LIttle T&A

I've probably missed some.
lurker76
No love for 2000 Light Years From Home?

And favorite cover is by Charlotte Martin for Wild Horses.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
AgNav93
AG
Gimme Shelter, Can't you hear me knocking and Almost Hear You sigh.
deadhead aggie
AG
lurker76 said:

And favorite cover is by Charlotte Martin for Wild Horses.

this isn't a bad one either..........

LawHall88
AG
DrZ
AG
All great choices.
Going with something a little different....Far away eyes. I know its not their "Greatest" but had it reminds me of driving back to CS late listening on 8 track. I love this song.

Here's my dark horse
The Rolling Stones - Bob Wills Is Still The King - Live OFFICIAL - YouTube
Spyderman
AG

The one RUSH covered..
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
lurker76
Since the thread has been revived, here's one more cover that is a favorite; Grand Funk doing Gimme Shelter.

bluefire579
AG
Oooh, we're doing covers now? Jason Isbell doing Can't You Hear Me Knocking is fantastic

4stringAg
AG
Live version of Midnight Rambler from the Get yer Ya Ya's Out live album. Think it was recorded in Madison Square Garden.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.