*** THE GREEN KNIGHT ***

8,830 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieChemist
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reminder that this finally hits theaters next week...

The Green Knight
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9243804/
July 30, 2021
Theatrical Exclusive

TCTTS
AG

YouBet
AG
It has swords in it so I'm in.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Looks unsettling in typical A24 fashion.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG

YouBet
AG
"Low-key horny".

Lol. Not sure I've seen that descriptor before.

Swords and horniness. Now I'm really in.
Sex Panther
AG
Low Key Horny is a great band name
theNetSmith
AG
I'm just gonna leave this right here...

powerbelly
AG
Is this a Gawain and the Green Knight retelling?
DallasTeleAg
"Alicia Vikander" and "Low-Key horny" definitely fit together, for me!

Saxsoon
AG
I would say Ex Machina is low key horny as well
bluefire579
AG
powerbelly said:

Yes
YouBet
AG
bluefire579 said:

powerbelly said:

Yes
Oh, I didn't quite catcsh that. Do you think this new boy can top my low key horninesh when I had my way with the Lady of Lyonesshe?

Belton Ag
AG
This looks bad-ass.
AgGrad99
AG
Don't know this story, but the trailer has me interested. Looking forward to seeing it.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Claude!
TCTTS said:

"He also recognizes the queer, homoerotic subtext of the original legend, and allows it to take root in the primary text."

Did the article's author read a different version of the legend than I did?
YouBet
AG
Claude! said:

TCTTS said:

"He also recognizes the queer, homoerotic subtext of the original legend, and allows it to take root in the primary text."

These descriptions are giving me Excalibur vibes. Maybe we will get 2 dudes going at it in full armor ala Uther.
bluefire579
AG
Claude! said:

TCTTS said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Gawain_and_the_Green_Knight#Homoerotic_interpretations
TCTTS
AG
Claude! said:

TCTTS said:

I admittedly didn't read the full review, but am now wishing I never posted it because it's clear that the TexAgs Airing of Grievances with Anything Remotely Woke is about take over the thread, as it always does, and even though it might very well be justified, I'm so exhausted from having these conversations that I'm checking out on this thread until I see the movie itself.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Claude! said:

TCTTS said:

I admittedly didn't read the full review, but am now wishing I never posted it because it's clear that the TexAgs Airing of Grievances with Anything Remotely Woke is about take over the thread, as it always does, and even though it might very well be justified, I'm so exhausted from having these conversations that I'm checking out on this thread until I see the movie itself.
Hey, before you check out...we are also sticking it to the white man yet again too!:

Quote:

His mere presence, as a man of Indian descent, redefines what heroes in the Western cinematic tradition have looked like typically white men.

In all seriousness, I'm still going to see this because I love movies like this. However, I'm also exhausted of the incessant desire to chip away at western culture as something that needs to be redefined. I don't really care that the guy is Indian but these aholes in media have to go out of their way to tell us "thank god it's not a white man!"

I will commit to keeping my comments away from this going forward on this thread though.
javajaws
AG
YouBet said:

Claude! said:

TCTTS said:

These descriptions are giving me Excalibur vibes. Maybe we will get 2 dudes going at it in full armor ala Uther.

Sounds more like you'll like "The Last Duel" then.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Claude!
TCTTS said:

Claude! said:

TCTTS said:

You can safely rest your anti-outrage exhaustion. It was not a "they're ruining my culture" question. It was a "I'm pretty familiar with the legend and have never picked up on any kind of subtext" question.

Also, looking at the article, the gay subtext sentence was just dropped in there. We go from "mixes in Welsh superstitions" to "gay subtext" to "talking animals" to the Christian/pagan dichomoty - all in the span of three sentences. I got a little bit of whiplash.
YouBet
AG
javajaws said:

YouBet said:

Claude! said:

TCTTS said:

Sounds more like you'll like "The Last Duel" then.
I want to see that too!
Quad Dog
AG
Just got home from the matinee. I'm not sure what to think, overall I'd say it wasn't very good.

The parts were better than the whole. Great costumes, props, sets, scenes and acting. The backgrounds and countryside were beautiful. The overall mystical, fantasy mood was great. Delightfully weird, but probably could have been weirder to make up for the lack of action. I loved Sean Harris' depiction of an aging Arthur. Alicia Vikander is sexy and intriguing like always. Dev Patel was good, but kind of bland. Maybe he was supposed to be to not overreact to all the weird stuff happening to him.

Maybe it is bad expectations, but I'd expect an Arthurian movie with "Knight" in the title to have one or two bad ass sword fights. But this movie has 0 action in it. In fact I found it boring in a few spots.

Don't worry some of you guys on here worried about wokeness or whatever so much, your delicate sensibilities will remain intact. Dev Patel's race plays 0 role in the plot, that part could have been played by anyone. There is one small hint at homosexuality and one male-on-male kiss. Sorry to disappoint you that there isn't more for you to find something to complain about.
Claude!
Quad Dog said:

Just got home from the matinee. I'm not sure what to think, overall I'd say it wasn't very good.

The parts were better than the whole. Great costumes, props, sets, scenes and acting. The backgrounds and countryside were beautiful. The overall mystical, fantasy mood was great. Delightfully weird, but probably could have been weirder to make up for the lack of action. I loved Sean Harris' depiction of an aging Arthur. Alicia Vikander is sexy and intriguing like always. Dev Patel was good, but kind of bland. Maybe he was supposed to be to not overreact to all the weird stuff happening to him.

Maybe it is bad expectations, but I'd expect an Arthurian movie with "Knight" in the title to have one or two bad ass sword fights. But this movie has 0 action in it. In fact I found it boring in a few spots.

Don't worry some of you guys on here worried about wokeness or whatever so much, your delicate sensibilities will remain intact. Dev Patel's race plays 0 role in the plot, that part could have been played by anyone. There is one small hint at homosexuality and one male-on-male kiss. Sorry to disappoint you that there isn't more for you to find something to complain about.
I find it outrageous that they cast Alicia Vikander, a Swede, as a character in a Welsh legend.
YouBet
AG
Quad Dog said:

Damn it!!!
Quad Dog
AG
I forgot...pay attention to the backgrounds, especially in the countryside traveling scenes. Some great stuff just laid around in the backgrounds.
BoydCrowder13
Quad Dog said:

Agreed with all of this. Wanted to like it. Had a weirdly cool vibe at times but I found long sections to drag. Wouldn't watch again.
javajaws
AG
Saw it this afternoon. Not really impressed. I think it tried too hard (and failed) at being an artsy type of film. I think the other problem was that the story itself was just kind of boring. Stretch out a boring story with more boring stuff interspersed and you just end up with an even more boring film.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Quad Dog
AG
I keep thinking about ways to make this better. I keep coming back to more action. Maybe that's just the knucklehead American in me.
  • Make him battle a beast at the bottom of the lake to get the woman's head.
  • When he eats the mushrooms and has the vision of the green Knight, have them fight.
  • In the poem this is based on, the woman in the castle is supposed to be seducing him. You cast Alicia Vikander, kick that seduction up like 6 notches.
  • A cool battle in the flash forward
  • The principle of Checkov's gun states that if you introduce a gun in the first act, then it better be shot in the third act. This movie should follow the Checkov's big green axe principle. I want to see somebody swing that sucker at more than a fox.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Sounds like it was exactly like the actual source story. Was interested to see if they would make it more exciting.
johncAG
AG
Wow, these are the things I was wanting in the movie. I enjoyed it but I wish it had something similar to these moments to keep from the dragging portions
SWCBonfire
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Sounds like it was exactly like the actual source story. Was interested to see if they would make it more exciting.

Been a long time since I read it but they sort of skipped through the nights of temptation and stopped short. Didn't explain things at the end.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.