***** Loki - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Wednesdays - Jun 9 - Jul 14) *****

108,010 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, I could come up with an explanation for that one. She has been hiding in apocalypses however never came that close to death. The alarm didn't sound that she was on Lamentis, the alarm sounded because there was literally death moments away.

There are still holes, like would you see a blip when she was dodging those little meteorites or dodging through townbut I could see it being a plausible explanation and it does make sense on some level.

JCRiley09
AG
A few other people have used the rope analogy. I think there are several "threads" where each is a unique timeline. TVA just wants them all headed the same direction.
bobinator
AG
The thing is, theoretically, the timeline knows what's supposed to happen. So whether you're days from dying or moments from dying, you're still dying. And if you're not dying, you're not dying.

Also, the nexus event has already happened, it's not about to happen. Remember that the start of the time branch is the nexus event, so when the TVA intervene, it's already happened.

Anyway, if they wanted to I'm sure they could explain all that away, but I just think that would be a lot for one episode.
TexasAggie_02
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah but there isn't an end, that's why I'm having a hard time picturing it.

A few pages back I talked about how I've been picturing time in this series as basically loops. And the whole point of the TVA is that each time it goes through the loop, they make sure certain things happen. So there are differences between the loops (monster Loki, classic Loki, gator Loki, whatever), but whatever whoever is behind the TVA wants to happen happens every time. And that at some point that timeline ends and everything resets. Basically the universe lives and dies over and over again.

But if there's no end to each loop, then all the timelines are happening concurrently? And the TVA is monitoring... all of them?

It just doesn't make sense in my head.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I dunno, that doesn't quite work either because it doesn't seem like the TVA is monitoring all of the timelines at once, but like I said it's probably better not to think about it, it's just hard for me to visualize it.
bobinator
AG
This is more or less exactly how I've been picturing how it works.
TexasAggie_02
AG
time doesn't appear to be linear. otherwise, the WWII battleship wouldn't have popped up when it did. branches often happen from time travel, but not always. seems that time can branch at any moment at any spot on the timeline. i like the idea of loops or resetting. the timeline can still be viewed as a rope more or less, where the end and beginning are the same, though some timelines are at different temporal locations. The same events keep happening in most/all of the timelines, but some timelines have a "head start" so to speak.
Madmarttigan
AG
Some of y'all have been watching too much Dark.
Formerly tv1113
bobinator
AG
There's no such thing as too much Dark.
Dro07
AG
why are we putting spoiler tags on guesses?
bobinator
AG
I dunno they put one at first so I just went with it, haha
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
tv1113 said:

Some of y'all have been watching too much Dark.
Thanks for reminding me I'll never get another episode of this amazing show.
Murder Hornet
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

bobinator said:

But how was that going to save them?
Not hard at all. Barely an inconvenience.

It's gonna be super easy, barely an inconvenience

FIFY
C1NRB
AG
I kept waiting for them to jump to a restaurant with Zaphod Beeblebrox, Trillian, Arthur Dent, and Ford Prefect one table over.
An L of an Ag
AG
Someone earlier mentioned The Dark Tower feel to part of this. The first scene with Alioth reminded me of another King story - The Langoliers.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Murder Hornet said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

bobinator said:

FIFY
Damnit! Thank you!
Capitol Ag
AG
OnlyForNow said:

What was that reference?

In the 1970's Avengers comics, Thanos travels around in a helicopter wrecking havoc. Kind of ridiculous to think of today, the Mad Titan having to fly around in a chopper that he even has his name painted on.

Edit: It was in Spidey Super Stories #39 from 1979
TexasAggie_02
AG
Murder Hornet said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

bobinator said:

FIFY

I'm gonna need you to get all the way of my back on that.
amercer
AG
An L of an Ag said:

Someone earlier mentioned The Dark Tower feel to part of this. The first scene with Alioth reminded me of another King story - The Langoliers.

His "short" stories are his absolute best work.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Murder Hornet said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

bobinator said:

FIFY

I'm going to venture a guess that when they come out with the pitch meeting for loki, they will mention the fight at roxxcart like "wow, I bet it'll be really hard for a regular human to fight an Asgardian. Actually, it'll be super easy, barely an inconvenience. Oh really? Yeah, you see, loki's power level is whatever we need it to be at that particular moment, so he gets his but kicked"

Also, I expect a "falling in love with yourself is tight"
OnlyForNow
AG
When did everyone understand the "pruning" reference referring to prune as in tree and not the fruit.

.. last episode for me.
redline248
AG
Like, the first time they said it...

"oh no! He's been turned into a highly fibrous snack!"
OnlyForNow
AG
I just thought it was a reference to what happened to them when they got hit with the stick.

Coulda been "juiced" "zapped" whatever; but yes I do see how ridiculous my guess was.
Decay
AG
That thought process... You must have had this wild Monty Python vibe going on the whole time.

"She turned me into a prune! ...I got better."
YouBet
AG
It's going to be funny if they explain none of this in the finale. It will simply be them confronting the Wizard of TVA in the castle and then it ends with zero explanation around anything with the timeline.

That might actually be relieving for me. I can simply drift away in ignorance at the end of the show.
OnlyForNow
AG
I do love me some holy grail.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
bobinator said:

Except it also would have shown up every time she was 'hiding' in an apocalypse. I don't think this would make any sense at all so I think we're safe there. Now, that's not to say that she's not going to betray Loki, I think that's definitely in play, but I don't think her being secretly in charge of everything would make any sense.

That's a good point but my argument back would be she had a working tempad in all of those other instances though. The other things that is bugging me is that she can't recall nor can Ravenna recall what Sylvies nexus event was which calls a lot into question. Sylvie didn't ask for it while looking for files either and Ravenna didn't go look it up later. Historically children are taken to be groomed into something by somebody.

Also, Sylvie giving the French girl gum in the first episode that made her teeth blue and was from a very particular point and place in history just seems like she was luring Loki in. Also, when she set all those charges to mess up the sacred timeline, it didn't work and there was no sadness or frustration on her part that all that work didn't mess up the timeline. I would say her motivation may be based in classic Loki's last words about Loki's being more powerful than they think. Something is just not sitting right with me about her and it's going to piss me off if she ends up being the villain. Hopefully we'll have some answers next week.
bobinator
AG
I think we can unspoiler tag this because we're way out in theoryville.

I don't think Sylvie can be *the* bad guy, but I think her being or becoming *a* bad guy is definitely in play.

If she's actually the person in charge of things then her whole life has been, even by comic book standards, the most convoluted plan in the history of bad guys.
TexasAggie_02
AG
I think that the real Timekeepers are the friends we made along the way
cruiserag2020
AgStuckinLBK said:

bobinator said:

Except it also would have shown up every time she was 'hiding' in an apocalypse. I don't think this would make any sense at all so I think we're safe there. Now, that's not to say that she's not going to betray Loki, I think that's definitely in play, but I don't think her being secretly in charge of everything would make any sense.

That's a good point but my argument back would be she had a working tempad in all of those other instances though. The other things that is bugging me is that she can't recall nor can Ravenna recall what Sylvies nexus event was which calls a lot into question. Sylvie didn't ask for it while looking for files either and Ravenna didn't go look it up later. Historically children are taken to be groomed into something by somebody.

Also, Sylvie giving the French girl gum in the first episode that made her teeth blue and was from a very particular point and place in history just seems like she was luring Loki in. Also, when she set all those charges to mess up the sacred timeline, it didn't work and there was no sadness or frustration on her part that all that work didn't mess up the timeline. I would say her motivation may be based in classic Loki's last words about Loki's being more powerful than they think. Something is just not sitting right with me about her and it's going to piss me off if she ends up being the villain. Hopefully we'll have some answers next week.

I thought her Nexus event was when she was a child playing with the toys and she said something about SAVING Asgard. If Loki's are God's of Mischief then her not playing that role was the Nexus event for her.
JJxvi
AG

Quote:

Also, when she set all those charges to mess up the sacred timeline, it didn't work and there was no sadness or frustration on her part that all that work didn't mess up the timeline.
She bombed the timeline as a distraction in order to allow her to try and reach the gold elevator she learned about from enchanting C20
bobinator
AG
I do think this could have been spelled out better because it happened so fast (to end one episode and start the next) and they didn't show the TVA actually fixing it.
JJxvi
AG
Yeah, she didnt get a villain monologue that stated her plan, and we also didnt really get a view of the TVA putting out all those fires except for seeing the hunters running through the hallways of the TVA. However, its pretty obvious if you think about it. Her goal is explicitly stated to be to reach the timekeepers, she finds out its the elevator, sets off the bombs, and goes directly to the TVA to try and reach the elevator in the aftermath.
BowSowy
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

bobinator said:

I think you're reading waaaaaay too much into things.

I think that Renslayer said she couldn't recall the Nexus event because she wanted to make Sylvie feel as meaningless as possible.

The gum was used as a plot point for Mobius and Loki to figure out what timeline she was in.

And I don't think she was hoping to mess up the sacred timeline with the charges, I think she was trying to evacuate the TVA so she could have a clear path towards the timekeepers. I don't think it's odd that we didn't see her upset about failing.

Come Wednesday, I may have egg on my face for doubting this. But I just can't see this being the twist they decide to go with.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Love all the responses and the discussion. I'll leave this theory be for now. Thanks guys

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.