***** Loki - Season 1 Discussion Thread (Wednesdays - Jun 9 - Jul 14) *****

108,014 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mazag08
dave94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OnlyForNow said:

What was that reference?

I only learned about this today, it was described as Thanos flying around in a copter looking ridiculous.

Ornithopter
AG

JCRiley09
AG
amercer said:

Also, %100 Kang, but we don't see him until the after credits scene when he reunites with Renslayer who miraculously escapes the destroyed TVA. Kang probably has another Loki running the show for him.

Our two Loki's are tossed into another crazy timeline where, without the TVA technology, season 2 becomes the MCU version of the X-Files.

I'm on board for this. There's a (boss level) Loki running the show and Kang shows up in an after credits scene
bbattbq01
AG
I'm depressed there is only one episode left.
PatAg
AG
The quality of that episode made up for the 3rd episode.

Also, that was definitely a BIG nod to the smoke monster from Lost anytime they had a closeup of a part of Alioth attacking
OnlyForNow
AG
Knew I had seen it somewhere before!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

OnlyForNow said:

What was that reference?

I literally missed seeing the helicopter because I was focused on the missile during that entire sequence. Gonna have to do a rewatch after next week's episode (last one, I think?) to pick up on a whole lot of stuff that I believe I've missed, such as this Thanos copter.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I'm sure someone has said it already, but the moment when Richard Grant Loki calls up the maniacal laughing was like seeing a page of a comic book from the 1970s breathed into life. I was really wondering why they cast such a cool actor in a role that up to then had not done a whole lot of anything - other than it's Disney and they like using the same people in multiple properties, but man what a moment and a tip of the cap to fans of the comics. What an exquisite use of nothing but his own abilities to make you believe this MOFO is Loki.
91_Aggie
AG
The destroyer that landed was USS Eldridge of Philadelphia Experiment conspiracy/lore
jeffk
AG
At the very beginning of the episode "Oak Ridge" was listed on one of the TVA screens. Site where a lot of the Manhattan Project work was done.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
jeffk said:

At the very beginning of the episode "Oak Ridge" was listed on one of the TVA screens. Site where a lot of the Manhattan Project work was done.
Yeah, that is one detail I did pick up on.

Was curious about that destroyer. Makes sense being Philadelphia Experiment.
OnlyForNow
AG
Well they are the TVA after all.

Ya know.... what the project was called to start with?
texasaggie04
AG
JCRiley09 said:

amercer said:

Also, %100 Kang, but we don't see him until the after credits scene when he reunites with Renslayer who miraculously escapes the destroyed TVA. Kang probably has another Loki running the show for him.

Our two Loki's are tossed into another crazy timeline where, without the TVA technology, season 2 becomes the MCU version of the X-Files.

I'm on board for this. There's a (boss level) Loki running the show and Kang shows up in an after credits scene

Cue the "Renslayer is a Loki" theories!
bobinator
AG
I'm not sure I can really wrap my head around this "everyone and every timeline that gets pruned gets sent to the end of time" thing.
one MEEN Ag
AG
bobinator said:

I'm not sure I can really wrap my head around this "everyone and every timeline that gets pruned gets sent to the end of time" thing.
I think the fact that its clearly not 'everything' and that its mostly loki's running around debunks that as the real answer.

I think this is just where the TVA sends people who can interfere with its master plan. The TVA could have made the void as just their garbage bin, inception style still within the TVA realm. The TVA saying its 'at the end of time' doesn't have to be true. But it can't just be a normal world either as it looks like noone ages. Also, that lion does 'manage' the space and keep it from overfilling.
JCRiley09
AG
I think it is everything. It's just that Lokis survive
bobinator
AG
Yeah, that's the idea anyway. If you get pruned, you get zapped into the void, and almost everything that gets zapped into the void is immediately killed by Alioth.

But I'm just not sure I can wrap my head around how "the end of time" is supposed to work in the MCU and the various timelines. In my head I had pictured time as basically a loop, and that any time a timeline reaches a certain point it basically resets. That's why there are different variant Lokis, from different time loops.
Red Five
AG
I don't think that's it. I think the reason all the Lokis are there is that Lokis survive when they aren't supposed to, so they end up getting pruned and thrown into the void to be consumed by Alioth, except they don't because, well, they survive.
Madmarttigan
AG
Also sounds like Loki's are very common variants that have been pruned more than any variations of other people. That is probably the best explanation of why there are so many there because they are constantly being sent to the void for surviving and doing things when they shouldn't.
Formerly tv1113
bobinator
AG
I thought that part was at least clear? When you get pruned, you go to the void. Being a Loki has nothing to do with it. That's why we see the ship arrive with people on it, that's why Mobius is there, etc.

It's just that 'Loki's survive' so where most people basically die upon arrival in the void, the Lokis are survivors.

But the void is basically like a graveyard of variants and variant time branches. That part I thought was clear both from Renslayer's description of it and what we actually see.
Decay
AG
Yeah it's a little silly that Loki-kind are the only ones who make it while everything else ever pruned ever gets eaten by the smoke monster... oh and Mobius in a pizza delivery car.

But I think that's just going into the pile of "that's just how it is". Like how Lokis can apparently conjure away a falling building or like, build the entirety of Asgard. We're just going to have to go with it. Hard to even say how much will really be part of future shows/movies anyway.
PatAg
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah, that's the idea anyway. If you get pruned, you get zapped into the void, and almost everything that gets zapped into the void is immediately killed by Alioth.

But I'm just not sure I can wrap my head around how "the end of time" is supposed to work in the MCU and the various timelines. In my head I had pictured time as basically a loop, and that any time a timeline reaches a certain point it basically resets. That's why there are different variant Lokis, from different time loops.
I wonder if it's actually the end of time, and not just a random planet to die.
Though, Mobius used a timepad thing to get off it, so maybe not.
bobinator
AG
This isn't the part that bothered me really though. It's a little silly, but whatever.

But what I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is what exactly is happening at "the end of time." Like... is every timeline just... stopped?

I know it's probably better just to not worry about the time stuff, but I can't help but try and figure it out.
JCRiley09
AG
I think you can think of it like a film reel. You can rewind it and start and stop it at any point in the reel. But there is a definitive start and end.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bobinator said:

This isn't the part that bothered me really though. It's a little silly, but whatever.

But what I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is what exactly is happening at "the end of time." Like... is every timeline just... stopped?

I know it's probably better just to not worry about the time stuff, but I can't help but try and figure it out.

It's hard to grasp actual reality starting as well. Rogan has had some astrophysicists on his show before talking about how they think before the Big Bang, there just wasn't space or time. And the universe has been expanding constantly at the speed of light, because they define the edge of the universe as where the farthest point that light can reach. So the end of time would be theoretically be the entire universe contracting back into a single mass of matter. It's freaking nuts to try to think about. But we operate in only 4 dimensions, so maybe we aren't meant to understand it.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Ep. 3 felt a bit lackluster. Things seemed to happen just to happen. We got a little into Sylvie's character, but not much. And we got one significant revelation about the TVA.

But it mostly felt like a filler episode, which isn't great in a 6-episode run.

Missing Owen Wilson really hurt.

Funny cause Ep 3 has been my favorite of the series thus far. I liked the developing relationship between Loki and Sylvie, and the whole thing had a very Mandalorian / Guardians of the Galaxy vibe.
YouBet
AG
bobinator said:

That's what renslayer said but she may not really know what is happening.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
JCRiley09 said:

amercer said:

I don't know anything but I'm getting a weird vibe based on past shows and the amount of time left so I'll put a spoiler tag on it.

I hope it's not slyvie being the Loki that's running everything. Her dying on lamentis would, for somebody running the whole timeline, be something that would make the timeline go way off course vertically as it did in that episode. It'd be the lokiest Loki thing to betray a Loki (Huddleston's Loki in this case) that you got to trust you fully. She just was way too confident about approaching the cloud monster and that she could enchant it. She knows way too much about the TVA despite running away from it her whole life. She probably knows a Loki is the only thing that could threaten her so she probably used the TVA to round them up. She also had way too much confidence in deleting herself and that it would take her to the end of time and not kill herself. It just seems like on those cheap "gotchas" that people would say is a big reveal but I don't think would connect.
MooreTrucker
AG
Red Five said:

I don't think that's it. I think the reason all the Lokis are there is that Lokis survive when they aren't supposed to, so they end up getting pruned and thrown into the void to be consumed by Alioth, except they don't because, well, they survive.
Except for the old guy. He didn't survive.

I think.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
On the Loki-Sylvie nexus event

It's that the two of them began to truly care enough about each other that they did not want to betray each other but instead could work together - thereby becoming powerful enough to destroy the TVA.

Remember the large group of Lokis betraying each other?

Remember young Loki saying, "Every time we try to become better people, the TVA comes along and prunes us."

Lokis are "supposed" to be villains who cause others to become greater. A Loki who becomes good and trustworthy is dangerous enough. Two of them teamed together? That's a nexus event.
amercer
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

JCRiley09 said:

amercer said:

I don't know anything but I'm getting a weird vibe based on past shows and the amount of time left so I'll put a spoiler tag on it.

I hope it's not slyvie being the Loki that's running everything. Her dying on lamentis would, for somebody running the whole timeline, be something that would make the timeline go way off course vertically as it did in that episode. It'd be the lokiest Loki thing to betray a Loki (Huddleston's Loki in this case) that you got to trust you fully. She just was way too confident about approaching the cloud monster and that she could enchant it. She knows way too much about the TVA despite running away from it her whole life. She probably knows a Loki is the only thing that could threaten her so she probably used the TVA to round them up. She also had way too much confidence in deleting herself and that it would take her to the end of time and not kill herself. It just seems like on those cheap "gotchas" that people would say is a big reveal but I don't think would connect.

That would kind of suck, but I don't think it's the way they are going. For one thing, I think the shows are introduced the next generation of characters for super team ups. So that would complicate it.
bobinator
AG
Yeah but there isn't an end, that's why I'm having a hard time picturing it.

A few pages back I talked about how I've been picturing time in this series as basically loops. And the whole point of the TVA is that each time it goes through the loop, they make sure certain things happen. So there are differences between the loops (monster Loki, classic Loki, gator Loki, whatever), but whatever whoever is behind the TVA wants to happen happens every time. And that at some point that timeline ends and everything resets. Basically the universe lives and dies over and over again.

But if there's no end to each loop, then all the timelines are happening concurrently? And the TVA is monitoring... all of them?

It just doesn't make sense in my head.
bobinator
AG
But how was that going to save them?
bobinator
AG
Except it also would have shown up every time she was 'hiding' in an apocalypse. I don't think this would make any sense at all so I think we're safe there. Now, that's not to say that she's not going to betray Loki, I think that's definitely in play, but I don't think her being secretly in charge of everything would make any sense.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
bobinator said:

But how was that going to save them?
Not hard at all. Barely an inconvenience.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.