Jerry Seinfeld on Benson (1980)

6,199 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by phatbc
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Truly bizarre to see. Also, Jerry just turned 67 years old. I'm blown away by that fact even more.

The Debt
Damn that's overacting. Glad he toned it down
91_Aggie
AG
The Debt said:

Damn that's overacting. Glad he toned it down

Did he?
The Dirty Sock
CheeseSndwch
Quote:

Jerry Seinfeld on the sitcom "Benson" (1980) as Frankie, the unfunny delivery boy. After filming three episodes, Jerry showed up to a table read, couldn't find his script, and eventually learned that he was fired.

Ouch.
Capitol Ag
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

Who are the ad wizards that came up with that one!

One of my favorite SNL sketches....
Prosperdick
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

Quote:

Jerry Seinfeld on the sitcom "Benson" (1980) as Frankie, the unfunny delivery boy. After filming three episodes, Jerry showed up to a table read, couldn't find his script, and eventually learned that he was fired.

Ouch.
On Seinfeld he and Larry David would mine their writer's for funny things that happened to them in their past and incorporate it into the show. Once they drained them of all their stories they basically let them go so he learned to be ruthless like he was treated. Of course they kept the best writers who could create new material but for most they were treated as disposable.
JCA1
AG
If guys weren't able to come up with new material after exhausting their real life stories, what good were they?

His job was to produce a funny sitcom. He apparently took that very seriously and did it better than just about anyone in history. No issue with his methods.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

I went through youtube one night watch all of the Stand-Ups bits I could find. They started in - I think - 85 before Seinfeld was even well known.

This is an old one w/ Tom Hanks doing the bit
maverick2076
What funny sitcom did he produce? Because it wasn't Seinfeld.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Prosperdick said:

CheeseSndwch said:

Quote:

Ouch.
On Seinfeld he and Larry David would mine their writer's for funny things that happened to them in their past and incorporate it into the show. Once they drained them of all their stories they basically let them go so he learned to be ruthless like he was treated. Of course they kept the best writers who could create new material but for most they were treated as disposable.
I wonder if they bought any of Kramer's stories?
JCA1
AG
maverick2076 said:

I meant produce in the "write/make/create" sense, not the Hollywood producer sense. But thanks for stopping by. Your semantics are no doubt appreciated by all.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
His acting on Seinfeld wasn't even close to great. Don't get me wrong I love Seinfeld but he was easily the least skilled actor placed smack dab in the center of great writing and funny story telling
JCA1
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

His acting on Seinfeld wasn't even close to great. Don't get me wrong I love Seinfeld but he was easily the least skilled actor placed smack dab in the center of great writing and funny story telling

Cue the Kramer "that's true" gif.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Sometimes it was almost like he was just playing himself.
The Milkman
AG
Harry Lime said:

The Dirty Sock said:

I went through youtube one night watch all of the Stand-Ups bits I could find. They started in - I think - 85 before Seinfeld was even well known.

I had never seen that one with Damon Wayons and Tom Hanks before thats fantastic. Especially since the posters in the background were of guys like Jerry and Leno well before Jerry had national fame.

Also, I don't think I knew Lovitz could talk without his usual voice. That was Lovitz right?
maverick2076
JCA1 said:

maverick2076 said:

I meant produce in the "write/make/create" sense, not the Hollywood producer sense. But thanks for stopping by. Your semantics are no doubt appreciated by all.

It's not that he wasn't a producer. It's that Seinfeld wasn't funny.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
maverick2076 said:

JCA1 said:

maverick2076 said:

Good call, everyone hated that show.

JCA1
AG
maverick2076 said:

JCA1 said:

maverick2076 said:

So you clicked on a Jerry Seinfeld thread just to pose as the contrarian who doesn't think Seinfeld was a good show?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Just mentioning the name 'Seinfeld' gets the haters out in droves I've realized. People love to hate what's successful and popular.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Just mentioning the name 'Seinfeld' gets the haters out in droves I've realized. People love to hate what's successful and popular.
It's their attempt at making themselves "edgy". The same morons will tell you how much The Beatles sucked or how much (insert great restaurant here) sucks, etc. etc. Pay them no mind.
schmendeler
AG
maverick2076 said:

JCA1 said:

maverick2076 said:

where's the ejection seat button?
Furlock Bones
AG
maverick2076 said:

JCA1 said:

maverick2076 said:

Yea the show that did an entire episode waiting for a table at a Chinese restaurant which was one of the greatest sitcom episodes ever was really not very good.

Ok guy.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
SWC Ag said:

Chipotlemonger said:

It's their attempt at making themselves "edgy". The same morons will tell you how much The Beatles sucked or how much (insert great restaurant here) sucks, etc. etc. Pay them no mind.

What I think of every time I see a hot take like Mavericks
maverick2076
No. I clicked on it because I liked Benson and never realized Seinfeld had been on it. Benson was actually funny.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
johnnyblaze36
AG
The Milkman said:

Harry Lime said:

The Dirty Sock said:

I had never seen that one with Damon Wayons and Tom Hanks before thats fantastic. Especially since the posters in the background were of guys like Jerry and Leno well before Jerry had national fame.

Also, I don't think I knew Lovitz could talk without his usual voice. That was Lovitz right?
Never seen this either. Great sketch. Was Damon Wayans on the show at some point? I definitely don't remember that.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
From wikipedia:

Quote:

From 1985 to 1986, he appeared on Saturday Night Live as a featured performer, before getting fired after just eleven episodes for improvising during a live sketch, playing his character as a flamboyant gay cop instead of a straight cop. (Damon continued this sketch character in his family created show In Living Color on Fox Television, in 1990, as the flamboyant gay character, Blaine Edwards, an obvious hat tip to Blake Edwards of movies starring The Pink Panther.) Wayans later claimed that he wanted to be fired due to lack of creative freedom and screen time. Wayans further explained that Lorne Michaels did not want Wayans to do too much too soon and begin drawing comparisons to Eddie Murphy who had just left the show
And yes, that was Lovitz in the sketch.

"The Stand-Ups" was a recurring sketch on SNL; there are a couple others on youtube or the SNL site. First heard of it on some episode of Comedians In Cars. Jerry said something to the effect that it was before he had really made it big and anyone knew he was, and he thought it was funny that they were making fun of him. I think Jerry had done a cable special and of course some Tonight Show appearances at that point, so comedy people knew him but he wasn't a household name or anything.
Diggity
AG
"I mean...what's the deal with message board posters running down cultural icons? do these people have nothing better to do...with their time? It's like, we get it, you never saw Titanic or Avatar and you hated the whole Harry Potter series. Enjoy your Benson reruns on BetaMax!"
phatbc
maverick2076 said:

JCA1 said:

maverick2076 said:

this is one of those moments where an "opinion" can be objectively wrong.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.