Fantasy Tropes

4,423 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I said insects! Twice!

I think it was Orson Scott Card who really clued me in to this general concept, although it didn't really sink in until a few years since my last read of the quartet. My recent read of Starship Troopers probably brought it to mind.
The Debt
Ulrich said:

I said insects! Twice!

I think it was Orson Scott Card who really clued me in to this general concept, although it didn't really sink in until a few years since my last read of the quartet. My recent read of Starship Troopers probably brought it to mind.
but did you mention insects?
YouBet
AG
Ulrich said:

One concept that I will admit to having a little trouble with is the convenient cannon fodder species. I don't know if it has a name, but it's either orcs, robots, Nazis, insects, or something else significantly different enough from what we recognize as a "good person" that it's ok to kill the them en masse with no pangs of guilt.

The orcs and Nazis are purely evil, the robots and insects lack a soul. So it's ok to kill them by the thousand to demonstrate the hero's prowess.

Do I enjoy a guiltless kill fest? Yeah. But the part of me that studies philosophy raises a little red flag.
I think most of us would agree that we should identify a new cannon fodder species, and I have the perfect candidate: Gingers.

As we all know, they have no soul so their evil is already established. It's an easy transition, frankly. If for some reason there is some objection to this then I would propose a compromise position: Ginger Nazis. This allows us to recognize the past while acknowledging the latent evil this world continues to ignore and allows to fester.

I would submit there is nothing more frightening than a Ginger Nazi - soulless, clownish orange hair, genocidal, weird potato masher grenades....

Think about it.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Ulrich said:

One concept that I will admit to having a little trouble with is the convenient cannon fodder species. I don't know if it has a name, but it's either orcs, robots, Nazis, insects, or something else significantly different enough from what we recognize as a "good person" that it's ok to kill the them en masse with no pangs of guilt.

The orcs and Nazis are purely evil, the robots and insects lack a soul. So it's ok to kill them by the thousand to demonstrate the hero's prowess.

Do I enjoy a guiltless kill fest? Yeah. But the part of me that studies philosophy raises a little red flag.
Fun bit of trivia:

Later in life Tolkien really struggled with the fact he allowed an apparently innately evil race into his setting, particularly as he incorporated more of his catholic worldview into it.

He never really answered the question to his satisfaction, but the closest he got is settling on that orcs are a ruined form of men (rather than elves), warped and twisted by the original dark lord, which required a dramatic overhaul of a lot of the Silmarillion.
powerbelly
AG
Eliminatus said:

Deus ex machina in general.

Captain Marvel arriving at the final fight with Thanos, TRex in first Jurassic park eating the raptors at the end, the gotdamn Eagles in LOTR.....the list goes on and on. Books too like Sword of Time.

I was fine with it for vast majority of life but as of late I have started to hyperfocus on it for some damn reason and it is undermining a lot of stuff for me if I am not in a complete "turn off brain" mode. I can still enjoy the general entertainment of it all but maybe it is just the stuff that manages to not use it that stands out so much to me and downplays the stuff that does.
Nerd glasses on...

To be fair, the eagles are more Machina Ex Deo. They are servents of Manwe (lord of the Valar).

They basically do his bidding in Middle Earth.

Nerd glasses off.

YouBet
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Ulrich said:

Fun bit of trivia:

Later in life Tolkien really struggled with the fact he allowed an apparently innately evil race into his setting, particularly as he incorporated more of his catholic worldview into it.

He never really answered the question to his satisfaction, but the closest he got is settling on that orcs are a ruined form of men (rather than elves), warped and twisted by the original dark lord, which required a dramatic overhaul of a lot of the Silmarillion.
Why? Catholics don't believe in innate evil? They believe it's all learned?

Not Catholic so I'm ignorant here.
CapCityAg89
AG
YouBet said:

Ulrich said:

Fun bit of trivia:

My Catholic two cents (not sure about Tolkien):

It's the idea that an entire race would be innately evil. A person can be innately evil (Ted Bundy) but a people (Germans, Muslims, Libs/Conservatives, Orcs) cannot be.
Solo Tetherball Champ
YouBet said:

Ulrich said:

Fun bit of trivia:

Pretty much: No one is innately evil. Someone may be flawed or tainted, but even then still has the capacity for good. Evil is something deliberately chosen.

So, in Tolkiens cosmology you have Eru Illuvatar, the One God over everything. Think of him as the God of the Bible.

Without getting bogged down in the details (oh, are there details....), Eru created the physical world to house the incarnates, The Children of Eru (Men and elves). Angelic beings of greater and lesser power entered into the physical world to shape it so it would be habitable for elves and men. In early versions of his stories they read more like the Greek gods, but in later versions can be better described as angels and archangels. The most powerful of these are the Valar, but the less powerful are called Maiar. The Valar are only invoked in the books like how Catholics may invoke a saint, but you see Maiar in Gandalf, Saruman, the Balrog, and Sauron in the LOTR narrative.

One of the Valar wanted the power to create life, and when he couldn't he increasingly threw a tantrum on an apocalyptic scale. What he couldn't destroy he would corrupt, warp, or taint. This guy was Melkor/Morgoth, the original Dark Lord. He also managed to corrupt or sway many of the Maiar to join him (Sauron, Balrogs, etc). Think of him as Satan.

Tolkien wrote many versions of this cosmology. In earlier versions, Morgoth just wanted to rule, and he created orcs and ballots out of slime and stone. In later versions, Tolkien decided that only Eru had the power to grant life, Balrogs are fallen spirts and Morgoth was much more nihilistic and destructive in his defiance of Eru, so perverting and warping elves (later on he decided orcs came from men) into orcs was one more way to "get back" at "daddy".
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Eliminatus said:

the gotdamn Eagles in LOTR.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Oh and my contribution to the topic:

Armies breaking formation and charging at each other. "My Lord, we're hopelessly outnumbered. What should we do?" "Order the army to break ranks and recklessly charge!" We see it everywhere:
  • LOTR
  • Witcher
  • Avengers
  • etc
Hell, you even see it in something like Braveheart. I just wish for once we'd see some sort of cohesion or strategy to the fighting.

Another one: civilizations/Fantasy races built around a single design trope. Like in LOTR films/warhammer/Dungeons and Dragons, etc: Elves are designed around flowing curves, dwarves are focused on angular geometry, and orcs have never met a spike they don't like.
YouBet
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

YouBet said:

Ulrich said:

Fun bit of trivia:

My Catholic two cents (not sure about Tolkien):

It's the idea that an entire race would be innately evil. A person can be innately evil (Ted Bundy) but a people (Germans, Muslims, Libs/Conservatives, Orcs) cannot be.
Makes sense.

(Except for Gingers which are all evil so Catholics got that one wrong.)
YouBet
AG
Good refresher!
israeliag
AG
Ulrich said:

Zombies.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Ulrich said:

Not that I disagree with you, but on the other hand, we are the only know species in existence that contemplates the value of life this way. I guess it comes down to social standards on defining intelligence. For example, hogs are super smart, but you can lay waste to as many as you want year round. But try the same thing with dolphins and you would be treated better if you were a convicted murderer.
Madmarttigan
AG
Also, watching that Sanderson video and his more recent videos makes me worried that he needs some exercise. I need that dude to be around 50 more years.
heddleston
AG
I've come to the conclusion that the Cosmere will likely never finish, but not for lack of effort or quality. I hope he gets as much done as possible and I will enjoy the ride as it goes on, but if he adds anything else to it like he did with the Wax and Wayne era there's no way it finishes.
dude95
AG
israeliag said:

Ulrich said:

Zombies.
Girl with all the Gifts directly addresses this with zombies.
hunter2012
AG
heddleston said:

I've come to the conclusion that the Cosmere will likely never finish, but not for lack of effort or quality. I hope he gets as much done as possible and I will enjoy the ride as it goes on, but if he adds anything else to it like he did with the Wax and Wayne era there's no way it finishes.
Instead of GRRM or Rothfuss refusing to finish books 6 and 3 of their main series, Sanderson will croak on book 50 with 70 books being in the Cosmere docket.
The Debt

Oh and my contribution to the topic:

Armies breaking formation and charging at each other. "My Lord, we're hopelessly outnumbered. What should we do?" "Order the army to break ranks and recklessly charge!" We see it everywhere:
  • LOTR
  • Witcher
  • Avengers
  • etc
Hell, you even see it in something like Braveheart. I just wish for once we'd see some sort of cohesion or strategy to the fighting.

Another one: civilizations/Fantasy races built around a single design trope. Like in LOTR films/warhammer/Dungeons and Dragons, etc: Elves are designed around flowing curves, dwarves are focused on angular geometry, and orcs have never met a spike they don't like.

If you ever watch "how accurate is the film" YouTube videos where they get historians to rate film battles, longsword/fencing experts to rate sword fights, quickdraw champions to analyze gun fights, there is one medieval expert that just shts on all these battle scenes because the best defense a castle has is ditches. It's cheap and relatively quick to enforce your position, assuming you have a weeks notice. He says every film has flat ground to approach the walls, that is nonsensical.
heddleston
AG
Absolutely. I'm not gonna complain either, just enjoying the ride he's taking us on.
Chipotlemonger
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I know I have linked Sanderson's lectures a lot, but it is much easier to post the masterclass on the subject than it is to formulate an original opinion on the matter...

Start at 3:07, for anyone who is interested.

Just finished watching this video. As a huge Sanderson fan (started with the final 3 WoT books, moved into his stuff) I highly recommend watching this to the other fans out there. That was really interesting to watch and listen to. Now I want to go watch all of the lectures from that class!

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.