****Top Chef season 18******

7,741 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tanya 93
pinkdog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If someone has already started a thread on this please let me know. I love this show. Glad to see it back and glad to see new faces other than another all stars round. First episode had some challenges starting out.
hbc07
AG
Wife and I watched the first episode. Made me laugh that they made such a big deal about being in a bigger space so that everyone would be spaced out, only to be working right on top of each other in small kitchens.

Was a bit disappointing that the main challenge was filmed at OMSI, but didn't actually make any use of OMSI other than just a nice dining room. We've done all sorts of fun stuff at OMSI and it would have been neat to see them work sciency stuff into the challenge.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
StringerBell
AG
I'm in. Feels like the Japanese guy who made the duck can go far.
TXAGFAN
AG
pinkdog said:

If someone has already started a thread on this please let me know. I love this show. Glad to see it back and glad to see new faces other than another all stars round. First episode had some challenges starting out.
I liked it, will be interesting to see how they adapt challenges.

Honestly, I was puzzled by some of the judges they chose. If I understood correctly they will be the same all season? Richard Blais' hair was a bit much, doesn't he have a wife to set him straight?

Wasn't surprised to see who went home, he seemed out of practice being a pit master?
pinkdog
Not surprised who has gone home so far. I liked the dessert challenge. Also like individual challenges where it is clear cut who did what.
fig96
AG
StringerBell said:

He was on the Iron Chef Gauntlet competition several years ago, and despite having like a decade less experience than most of the other chefs was really competitive in every challenge. Guy is legit.

I'm liking him (Shota), Gabe, and Sara so far.

Also, the brunch challenge was really fun, some of their interpretations looked awesome.
Tanya 93
fig96 said:

StringerBell said:

He was on the Iron Chef Gauntlet competition several years ago, and despite having like a decade less experience than most of the other chefs was really competitive in every challenge. Guy is legit.

I'm liking him (Shota), Gabe, and Sara so far.

Also, the brunch challenge was really fun, some of their interpretations looked awesome.

I think Sara is the dark horse.

She manages to make what seems like awesome stuff.

But I do like Shota and Avishar
Petrino1
The houston girl (Dawn) looks pretty legit as well. If she can just manage her time better then she will be tough to beat.
pinkdog
Ditto. Dawn seems legit. Jamie gets on my nerves with her hyperness, though she's perfectly nice.

Love Avishar because he's got a hint of nerdiness and he does seem to have direction and a point of view
fig96
AG
Watching last week's before the new ep and forgot my favorite line (maybe of the entire series in its entirety):

Richard: I'll say what everyone is thinking: this is too white.
pinkdog
So last episode. I love avishar because he is the cute nerd type but for the love of god why did he cook risotto? I am convinced no one will ever do well on Top Chef with risotto because everyone has always done terribly with it. Happy for Chris to be doing well. I knew Kiki would go once they said raw chicken. Still love the show. Interesting challenges.
StringerBell
AG
Olympian might have made the first successful risotto on the show
HTownAg98
pinkdog said:

So last episode. I love avishar because he is the cute nerd type but for the love of god why did he cook risotto? I am convinced no one will ever do well on Top Chef with risotto because everyone has always done terribly with it. Happy for Chris to be doing well. I knew Kiki would go once they said raw chicken. Still love the show. Interesting challenges.

Risotto is one of those things that has to be served immediately, and the longer it sits, the worse gets. That being said, I would love to see a risotto challenge.
pinkdog
Maybe I missed that. Good for her. Yes a risotto challenge would rock!
LawHall88
AG
TXAGFAN said:

pinkdog said:

I liked it, will be interesting to see how they adapt challenges.

Honestly, I was puzzled by some of the judges they chose. If I understood correctly they will be the same all season? Richard Blais' hair was a bit much, doesn't he have a wife to set him straight?

Wasn't surprised to see who went home, he seemed out of practice being a pit master?
My understanding was they had to do a Top Chef bubble so the judges had to stay through the entire season. Probably tough and/or too expensive to get the celebrity chef types to commit a month (or however long) away from their lives.
StringerBell
AG
I also assumed that some of those former contestants had restaurants that were hit hard so top chef wanted to help them out some
Tanya 93
Wasn't a fan of Gabriel. but he cooked the best protein.

And got sent home because of not great fish in a team challenge.
He didn't throw Nelson under the bus though.
Was impressed with that

And let's go Team Tiny
pinkdog
Not surprised for Avishar to go home, even though I like him. I keep wanting Chris to succeed even though he can sometimes be at top of on bottom. Was surprised for Jamie to come back!
StringerBell
AG
bummed for avishar but he had been flirting with disaster for weeks. and man you cant make a south asian dish and not have it have some flavor especially with padma on the dais.
JCA1
AG
It was just a matter of time until Avishar went home. Just not a strong enough cook.
toucan82
Wee beep boop ding pew pew
dc509
AG
I think so far Gabe and Sara are the best.

It will be interesting if Gabe wins. He was fired from his restaurant in Austin, and it was done publicly with an explanation that they needed to do so because he violated their values and they support radical change. Anyone have any insight?
LawHall88
AG
dc509 said:

I think so far Gabe and Sara are the best.

It will be interesting if Gabe wins. He was fired from his restaurant in Austin, and it was done publicly with an explanation that they needed to do so because he violated their values and they support radical change. Anyone have any insight?
No idea on his firing (although given what has been going on in restaurants recently, wouldn't be shocked if it was a "me too" deal), but he is opening a new restaurant next year:
Quote:

Chef Gabe Erales, currently a contestant on season 18 of Bravo's Top Chef and a champion of Mexican cuisine, will open his first restaurant a Mexican-inspired eatery called Bacalar that will draw influence from various regions of the Yucatan Peninsula, where Erales has family roots.

Scheduled to open in the fall of next year, Bacalar will anchor the ground level of the 44 East Ave Residences, the slick skyscraper currently under construction on the banks of Lady Bird Lake.
https://austin.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-30-21-austins-top-chef-competitor-gabe-erales-mexican-restaurant-rainey-street-bacalar/#:~:text=Chef%20Gabe%20Erales%2C%20currently%20a,where%20Erales%20has%20family%20roots.
dc509
AG
https://austin.eater.com/2020/12/16/22177215/austin-restaurant-comedor-executive-chef-gabe-erales-departs

This is what I'm talking about, and why is he opening a new restaurant.
StringerBell
AG
id be really interestedin a gabe sarah shoda finale
fig96
AG
StringerBell said:

id be really interestedin a gabe sarah shoda finale
I think we're heading towards this with potentially Dawn or Jamie in the mix. And I wouldn't count out Sasha if she makes it back, she's killing it in Last Chance Kitchen.
toucan82
well that was a pretty thorough Restaurant Wars ass-kicking
StringerBell
AG
man i love these types of team showdowns where one side is clearly more talented, but the other side just plain works better together and ends up winning.
JCA1
AG
This restaurant wars episode is one of the reasons why I've always respected Top Chef. More than any other, they simply follow the cooking wherever it leads. One team clearly kicked the other team's butt and they showed it just like that. You knew who was gonna win with 30 minutes still left in the show. They didn't try to manufacture any drama or create intrigue about which team would win just for TV's sake (which a lot of TV shows would absolutely do).
dc509
AG
StringerBell said:

man i love these types of team showdowns where one side is clearly more talented, but the other side just plain works better together and ends up winning.
Same
Tanya 93
I like Dawn

But she ****ed everyone over with not knowing what she was making until the last minute
StringerBell
AG
Is dawn the Olympian?
dc509
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I like Dawn

But she ****ed everyone over with not knowing what she was making until the last minute
Eh, that wasn't Dawn's fault. She delivered.
Petrino1
Dawn delivered, but screwed everyone else over since they couldn't really plan a cohesive menu around what she was cooking. Sarah even mentioned it at the end at judges table. Dawn is very talented, but seems to get very scatter brained when cooking.

How is Chris going to try and cook pasta a 3rd time (technically gnocchi) after sucking the first two times! Im surprised he lasted this long in the show. Its obvious he isnt as talented as the other chefs.
fig96
AG
I don't blame Dawn, their team overall was kind of a train wreck. They had no theme or plan and were just kind of winging it, whereas the Kokoson team just killed it with a clear theme and great food and service.

Last ep was interesting, writing recipes is a whole different beast and it was fun to see the judges try to cook their food. And it was well past time for Chris to head home.

Last Chance Kitchen has been really fun to watch as well if anyone hasn't been following.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.