Invincible (adult animated superhero series) - Amazon (3/26/2021-4/30/2021))

9,464 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bluefire579
Gaius Rufus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bcasey03 said:

Really enjoyed show. Disappointed they changed the source material to be more woke.

Why? How did having women/minority characters take away from having white/male characters for you?

Not snark, actually curious why that disappointed you.
Madmarttigan
AG
Maybe I'm a very socially liberal person but I literally don't notice 99% of the woke or political things in a show in the moment. It's never on my radar as long as the show and movie are good. Invincible was incredible and I barely noticed gay friend/ black gf. I just thought she was a B.

I'm so oblivious that I didn't even catch the girl power scene in End Game the first time because I was just so excited from the portal scene.
C@LAg
bcasey03 said:

Really enjoyed show. Disappointed they changed the source material to be more woke.
Wait until you find out they have cast Death, one of the singular most iconic female comic book characters, not as a teenage goth chick but a middle-age black woman.
jeffk
AG
Voice cast for this show was just unbelievably good.
bcasey03
AG
Gaius Rufus said:

bcasey03 said:

Why? How did having women/minority characters take away from having white/male characters for you?

Just don't see the point. Feels unnecessary and forced. Don't get me wrong i loved the show. Didnt read the comic until after i watched it.
TCTTS
AG
I didn't read the comic, so I can't compare it to the show, but I'm seriously racking my brain trying to think of a single "woke" thing in the eight episodes I watched. Literally nothing comes to mind.
TCTTS
AG
If anything, the defining characteristic of a black female character being boiled down to the nagging girlfriend whose only arc is defined by her relationship status seems the exact opposite of "woke" to me.

Same with Atom Eve not being able to find true happiness in her independence.

Maybe the gay best friend? But even he seemed exceedingly cliched, and thus the opposite of "woke" as well.
Gaius Rufus
bcasey03 said:

Gaius Rufus said:

bcasey03 said:

Just don't see the point. Feels unnecessary and forced. Don't get me wrong i loved the show. Didnt read the comic until after i watched it.
Appreciate you answering my question.

Since you loved the show, I am assuming you also loved the voice actors? Would you have felt it was less forced and more necessary if those actors had been voicing white characters (instead of Asian, Black, or Greek)? I ask because it looks like some of the character choices were made for this reason:

Quote:

Mark, Debbie Grayson, and Rex Splode have also been redesigned to reflect the real-life appearance of their voice actors.

https://screenrant.com/invincible-show-comic-changes-differences-explained/

Also, would it make a difference to you if Kirkman was onboard with the character changes?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/karltonjahmal/biggest-differences-invincible-tv-show-vs-comics

Not trying to derail this thread, but I think this is an important conversation to have when it comes to media and this show lends itself perfectly to this type of discussion.
Brock Sampson
AG
Bump from just finishing. Wow that subway scene was brutal! Can't wait for season 2. I want to see Omni take on the Tiger King
The Debt
jeffk said:

Voice cast for this show was just unbelievably good.

Clancy brown for detective demon.
jeffk
AG
Does S2 have a release date yet?
bluefire579
AG
jeffk said:

Does S2 have a release date yet?
Not that I've seen. Feel like Amazon rarely announces more than a few months out (Lord of the Rings being the exception)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.