Invincible (adult animated superhero series) - Amazon (3/26/2021-4/30/2021))

9,459 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bluefire579
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Based on the comic book series by Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead)

Season 1 just dropped the first 3 episodes this weekend, 5 more to go.

Note: This is a R rated series - gratuitous and graphic violence, language and adult themes.

Will keep it spoiler free for now, but this is based on a long running, completed comic series from Image comics, so there is lots of source material and a completed story arc.
Animation done by the same team that does a lot of DC animated movies.

Stellar voice cast includes (many in small parts, of course):

Steven Yeun
Sandra Oh
J. K. Simmons
Lauren Cohan
Sonequa Martin-Green
Chad L. Coleman
Michael Cudlitz
Lennie James
Ross Marquand
Zachary Quinto
Gillian Jacobs
Jason Mantzoukas
Malese Jow
Grey Griffin
Khary Payton
Walton Goggins
Chris Diamantopoulos
Coalition of Planets
Seth Rogen
Andrew Rannells
Zazie Beetz
Clancy Brown
Kevin Michael Richardson
Mark Hamill
Mae Whitman
Max Burkholder
Mahershala Ali
Michael Dorn
Ezra Miller
Nicole Byer
Jeffrey Donovan
Jonathan Groff
Jon Hamm
Djimon Hounsou
Justin Roiland
Reginald VelJohnson

Reception

On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, 95% of 43 critics have given season 1 of Invincible a positive review, with an average rating of 7.86/10. The site's consensus read: "With bold animation, bloody action, and an all-star cast led by the charming Steven Yeun, Invincible smartly adapts its source material without sacrificing its nuanced perspective on the price of superpowers."[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible_(TV_series)#cite_note-26][26][/url] On Metacritic, the first season received an average rating of 72 out of 100, based on 14 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible_(TV_series)#cite_note-MetacriticSeason1-27][27][/url]
AgfromHOU
AG
I only know a little bit about Invincible, but am going to give the show a shot next weekend.

Apparently the comic is super good, and this show has the same art style.
Ol Jock 99
AG
So Kirkman writes an engrossing comic series, which has a cult following, develops a TV show based on it, which starts incredibly strong...and then...
Max Power
AG
Really liking this show so far. I quit walking dead years ago, when Glen was beaten to death it crossed the line for me. I enjoyed Outcast, wish they would have done more.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

when Glen was beaten to death it crossed the line for me
Which was one of the moments on the show that was truest to the comics.
Madmarttigan
AG
This has a shocking amount of recognizable actors voicing it. End of first episode was interesting.
schmendeler
AG
Just discovered this one today. After the first episode, I'm hooked.
AgfromHOU
AG
Holy crap that ending was crazy. I'll definitely give this show a few more episodes.
Sex Panther
AG
Def enjoying it so far... hope it doesn't become pointless like the Walking Dead

First episode... gah damn!
toucan82
The good news is that "Invincible" has already finished so there is an ending (if they choose to follow the comic)
Vince Blake
Binged the first episodes over the weekend...really digging it. Plus this show already had me with JK Simmons and Walton Goggins. Genuinely curious how they pulled this cast off for an animated show.
schmendeler
AG
if you like comedy animation intended for a mature audience, Big Mouth on Netflix is hilarious and has an also impressive cast voicing it.

two of them are prominent characters on invincible as well.
gigemJTH12
AG
I watch approximately 0 comic/superhero stuff. Have never seen any of the Marvel or DC movies.

but a coworker begged me to watch the first episode so we could talk about it.

after the ending of episode 1...I know why lol
israeliag
AG
Watch The Boys if you haven't.
israeliag
AG
Watched the first two eps last night. Almost the whole time of the first episode I was waiting for something to hook me - thinking this was supposed to be more adult oriented. And then Omni Man went nuts and holy hell. It's interesting how, IMO, The Boys and Umbrella Academy elevated the bar so high for non-Marvel, non-DC comics. This seems like a good addition to those, but, and it is a little to early to judge (and yes it's animated not live action), but it seems to be a rung below those two.

I will say, I'm not impressed with the voice acting of JK Simmons, and the animation in general is pretty weak, especially in its slightly off pacing (not the pacing of the show as a whole but the pacing of the animation itself within scenes). It's like the poor editing and the weird inconsistent and unrealistic movements are slight but severe enough to have some kind of editing/pacing/timing uncanny valley like effect on my mind. There is animation that gets it right, but I'm not sure what it takes to get there (for reference the last animated series I consumed is Star Trek Lower Decks and it's animation was terrific, IMO, enough so that it can stand next to the best Star Trek shows [and even above many]).
Duncan Idaho
I am guessing the hook was explained when he talked about his home world
Duncan Idaho
And I loved the audit being conducted
Quad Dog
AG
Harley Quinn on HBO too.
AgfromHOU
AG
Holy crap that show is good, especially Bane, Clayface, Dr Psycho, and King Shark
coldmoose
I like it, I think? It does have me wanting me to see more.
Max Power
AG
Anyone else start giggling when Anne, played by Gillian Jacobs, said she was studying psychology?
Philo B 93
Watched ep 1, and enjoyed it. Am I seeing it correctly that this show is 98% DC inspired vs Marvel? I grew up on team Marvel, with a few DC mags thrown in every now and then.
gigemJTH12
AG
Small spoiler.

when Rex got busted with all the dupli-Kates I laughed because as soon as I found out about dupli-Kate, what he got caught doing is literally the first thing that came to mind
Azariah
AG
The star power of this voice acting is incredible. Now we know why most of Hollywood has been up to during the pandemic.
MooreTrucker
AG
Reginald Vel Johnson High School
Azariah
AG
MooreTrucker said:

RVJ voices the principal, too. Among others.

Principal's name is Winslow, too.
Duncan Idaho
I find myself looking forward more to this than anything else right now.

MEEN Ag 05
AG
Azariah said:

MooreTrucker said:

RVJ voices the principal, too. Among others.

Principal's name is Winslow, too.
When the principal showed up I laughed out loud - that was good. Overall not a bad series, a lot of the violence/gore feels unnecessary and thrown in just for the sake of being gratuitous.

After every episode I do feel like I should switch to Farmer's Insurance...
Stupid@17
AG
The transition from happy go lucky teen drama to what it became was intense lol.
Stupid@17
AG
The transition from happy go lucky teen drama to what it became was intense lol.
gigemJTH12
AG
cannot wait to find out why Omni man was watching his son get beat to death and did nothing about it
Duncan Idaho
gigemJTH12 said:

cannot wait to find out why Omni man was watching his son get beat to death and did nothing about it

I think it was hinted in the first episode.
Basically, There can be only one.
Madmarttigan
AG
I don't think he wants his son to die, I think he wants him to be challenged and it's kind of a sick way to do it but he wanted him to come close to dying so he would train more and be a better superhero.

I think he also murdered the guardians for this purpose as well to make sure his son gets the glory and the challenge of fighting to save the world. He doesn't want anyone getting in the way of his development.

I'm enjoying this show overall. It is a cartoon so I think it has a ceiling because it's not great animation, but the story is pretty good and entertaining.
C@LAg
Quote:

I'm enjoying this show overall. It is a cartoon so I think it has a ceiling because it's not great animation, but the story is pretty good and entertaining.
It helps that it has a complete story to tell already waiting for it. and it is a big story that goes in many directions not easily predicted.

And I am enjoying where they are cutting, removing, or combining original story elements from the comics into the series. makes it much more streamlined.
Sex Panther
AG
Ezra Miller is terrible even when he's just doing voice work... cannot believe that's DC's choice for the Flash
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.