*** New Rock Music ***

6,972 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Hubert J. Farnsworth
Mad Hatter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Born in '80. I grew up in what I consider one of the best eras of rock music (if not the best), so I was definitely spoiled in that regard. Just realizing the "newest" rock bands that I have in any kind of regular rotation are probably Volbeat and Avenged Sevenfold and they are 20 years old. I've found some great music recently in other genres (Tyler Childers comes to mind), but nothing in the rock world. Please help me scratch the itch!

No mediocre suggestions!!! I'm not trying to come out of this even more discouraged...

My favs growing up:
Tool
Alice in Chains
RATM
RHCP
GNR
Metallica
Soundgarden
Muse
Pantera
Smashing Pumpkins
White Zombie
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Limp Bizkit killed rock music. Sorry. Bluegrass/Americana is where it is happening now.
Mad Hatter
AG
That's what I'm afraid of. Probably clinging to false hope that there's some greatness out there in obscurity land.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Black Country Communion - album 2 is my fav.

The Winery Dogs

Both are bands with big vocals and big instrumental talent. To me these are rock in its purest form.
Take the trash out staff.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Foo Fighters are still doing good stuff, Gary Clark Jr, The Sheepdogs, Royal Blood, Rival Sons, Ron Gallo, Lucero, Wolfmother, Kaleo, Queens of the Stone Age. Their last album kind of knocked the shine off them for me, but Greta Van Fleet's first couple of songs are pretty good.

That's without me going into more punk/hardcore stuff.
Gomer95
AG
I too would be interested in what you're asking. I always listen to Sports talk radio on the Ticket in DFW so I don't listen anywhere to even know about any new music. I pick up a song here and there but usually I just listen to Classic rock or classic country when I'm not listening to the Ticket.

I did however learn about the band Jet back in the early 2000's and their album Get Born is really cool and has a rock sound like you are wanting, I know that's an older example but I was born in the early 70's and they're the first "new" rock band I've discovered. I have heard a lot of people mention "Band of Horses" but haven't checked them out yet. So that's all I know literally. Classic Rock forever Man lol.
Claude!
Greta Van Fleet has a new album coming out next month.
Whos Juan
AG
Are we still pretending Greta Van Fleet is a good band?
cajunaggie08
AG
i like them
spag.ag2003
AG
You've probably already heard of them as they've kind of blown up in the last year but the first band to really scratch my itch in years is Jinjer.

Ukrainian band featuring a female lead with, let's just say, quite a vocal range.

I can see Tool fans really digging it (polyrhythmic, dynamic) and although it's on the heavy side you do mention Pantera in your post.

Start with Pisces (live session) and if you like that there's quite a rabbit hole to go down.

Tool, Pantera and Metallica are my favorite bands (for reference).
G Martin 87
AG
Will definitely check out Jinjer. I like Russian/Ukrainian bands. Via Gra is a guilty pleasure.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

If you have an iphone and apple music check out their playlist called "Breaking Hard Rock". It updates automatically every few days or every week at least.

It includes new rock music from both established bands and new discoveries. I've found several bands off there in the last year.

You can just add the playlist to yours and it gives you a constantly changing selection - which you can either play randomly or just peruse and look for interesting stuff and quickly sample a few. Then you can add what you like to your own library.

Shows up in their search when you go under Categories and Rock. There are several others of varying niche genres depending on your taste.

Mike Elko
AG
Off the top of my head: Pearl Jam, Deftones, A Perfect Circle, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age.

And your list is legit, minus Muse.
gggmann
AG
I've mentioned in a couple of other threads, but Ozzy's album from last year: Ordinary Man.

It was written and performed with Andrew Watt, Duff McKagan, and Chad Smith. Slash, Elton John, Tom Morello, and Post Malone are on a few tracks as well.
Mad Hatter
AG
Just played Jinjer - Pisces on YT. WTF did I just see!? Lol
spag.ag2003
AG
Lol - my reaction exactly. I immediately had to find a fully live video because I thought it was fake or heavily enhanced by studio trickery. It's the real deal.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Probably not high on the list for the OP but for those that like shred glam rock - gymnastic solos, big harmonies/hooks - check out Blessed by a Broken Heart.

They broke up but the album w/this song is fantastic if you like this song. There's a few moments where he does the "Cookie Monster" vocals, but only for a few words and only 1 or 2 songs.

Another fun one - barkin' all night, party till the daylight - our late dog's theme song as he sang itwhen he got to stay over night a the kennel.

Take the trash out staff.
KidDoc
AG
I've dug into this recently with Spotify and a podcast called "growin' up rock".

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DallasTeleAg
I don't really do much digging into newer bands. What are we calling new? I call anything after I graduated college, "new". So, anything after 2010 would qualify, for me.

I will second Royal Blood. One of the few newer bands that really floored me with their sound. Love his fuzzy bass riffs. They hit hard, and I love it.

I also really dig Vintage Trouble. More blues/soul rock.

Alabama Shakes started in '09, but didn't really get popular until 2012ish. Have a lot of great songs, but I love this slower tune. Especially their ACL performance of it, but couldn't find it on YouTube

Eddie Vedder
Royal Blood
YouBet
AG
Interesting two of you mentioned Queens of the Stone Age. I have their album from back in the 90s(?); the one people know I guess. Really didn't even know I had it and it started rolling through my Shuffle lately for some reason.

I have a new appreciation for those songs and I've REALLY come to like them even though I was meh on them back in the 90s. They aren't still making music are they?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
YouBet said:

Interesting two of you mentioned Queens of the Stone Age. I have their album from back in the 90s(?); the one people know I guess. Really didn't even know I had it and it started rolling through my Shuffle lately for some reason.

I have a new appreciation for those songs and I've REALLY come to like them even though I was meh on them back in the 90s. They aren't still making music are they?

Yeah, they came out with an album 3 or 4 years ago that was pretty good.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Tool's latest is legit.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Tool's latest is legit.

Yes.

Pneuma is a masterpiece with a maddening time signature, parts are in 33/16 time. Unreal.

Several other really good ones on there too.

KidDoc
AG
I agree Eddie, Royal Blood is pretty great also.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i tend to get stuck in that era as well. i don't know if it's me being close-minded or not but i still just fall back on pantera, tool, rage, early deftones, metallica etc. when i want something heavier. i haven't heard a lot of new heavy stuff that really appeals to me. a lot of stuff just sounds super generic to me if that makes sense.

haven't seen anyone mention the black keys for some "newer" rock. there's always white stripes as well as alabama shakes, jet, etc.

if you like a little blues with your rock, i like houndmouth quite a bit.

Ol Jock 99
AG
The White Stripes have been gone for a decade. I like JWiii's solo stuff, but it isn't the same.
tk for tu juan

tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan
mazag08
AG
OP, check out The Parlor Mob.
mjfrog
AG
Like the OP, I feel a sense of loss for rock going away and being replaced with mumble rap and disney pop.

Sabrosa Purr had some good rocking tunes in their short existence

Les Savy Fav was good for awhile

The above two were mainly active before 2010. As for the past decade I can only point to one that has put out great stuff after 2015. Khruangbin

Oh, BTW the first album from Tame Impala is quite good and a lot different from their psychedelic techno-pop.

mjfrog
AG
Oh yeah, Foals has a few good songs (explicit warning is for some mild stuff, like partial boobage I guess)

"What Went Down" link won't fit in YT format here

Last thought, I gave up on nu-metal as the early stages of Soulfly was the last I could stomach, but Gojira from the Metal thread is growing on me.
mjfrog
AG
Okay night shift checking out for good:
IDLES seems to be an up and coming band, lots of edge, maybe they play a little to close to the woke culture, but can't deny their raw rock appeal:

Oldies but goodies from Killing Joke, one of those bands that lasted forever but never had a breakthrough:
"Slipstream" from early 90s
The Death & Resurrection Show
The latter song is on a 2003-ish album featuring Dave Grohl on drums ("Seeing Red" is great too!)

Other bands to check out from the 2000-2010 range.
Them Crooked Vultures-2009 Album features two members of Queens of the Stone Age, Dave Grohl, and John Paul Jones (Led Zep) one of the last great albums I have where over 50 percent of the songs are great

Austin bands that should be more well known:
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead Will You Smile Again (sounds sorta like a slightly punkier version of The Who)
Black Angels Hunt Me Down (sounds like Doors but harder)
The Sword The Black River (old skool Iron Maiden/Metallica?)
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.