Big Bend: Wild Frontier of Texas

1,327 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dave99ag
West Point Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spent a week hiking here...got to see a flash flood, tarantulas, Javalinas, rattlers, wild horses, mountain big horns rams...and the canyon formed by the Rio Grande is spectacular.

https://www.pbs.org/video/big-bend-the-wild-frontier-of-texas-nuespk/

Let’s Go Brandon!
DB Coach
AG
I love Big Bend! I thought this program was outstanding in photography/cinematography...and even knowing its a Nature program, I wish they had spent a little time on the geology of the park.
West Point Aggie
AG
I thought the bear stealing the acorns the woodpeckers had hidden away atop a dead tree was fascinating.
Let’s Go Brandon!
sklipes
I thought there was going to be more on the geology but entertaining to see hikes or peaks I have been to in the background. I went a week after the program aired & cool to see lots of the featured animals during hikes.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I have wanted to go since I was a little kid. My parents had a "coffee table" type book with all the cool landscapes of Texas, I never thought a place that beautiful could exist in my state, being from Houston I thought all of Texas looked like that. I've been trying to recruit my wife or best friend for years to go with me. Is there an ideal time of year to to avoid the most crowds?
AgHawkeye
AG
Best time of year is Oct through March. You get great days and cool to cold nights. Summer is tough. If you want to avoid crowds just avoid the holiday weeks/weekends. We go several times per year and it is such a treasure in the state.
Ag-Hawkeye
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Was there this past Friday through Sunday. It's supposed to be busy season with spring break, perfect weather, and whatnot, but the crowds were very manageable. Have to keep in mind that this is one of the most remote national parks in the country so it's not exactly easy to get to. Busy season and crowds at Big Bend is way different than busy season and crowds at places like Yosemite or Yellowstone. Some road closure hours (every day besides Sunday) heading into Chisos Basin, but waiting in line wasn't a big deal. Was still pretty easy to get in, find spots, get out, and enjoy the park as normal.

With that said, if you've never been, go. It's one of the most beautiful places in the state and really, the entire country. Need to check out this documentary; some of the rangers were telling us about it.
Sex Panther
AG
I went in November, it was awesome. Didn't think there were many people at all really
dave99ag
AG
Easily one of my favorite places! We have a place north of the park and go down there quite often. Like others have said, go if you haven't gone. There's so much to explore!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.